Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freebart

macrumors member
May 14, 2003
Switching to Verizon

It's all about the coverage for me. AT&T goes from good coverage to good luck coverage about the time I pull in my driveway. Verizon works great. My first generation iPhone will get retired as an iPod touch and I'll be switching to Verizon.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
There are a lot of places in the U.S. where Verizon has better coverage than anyone else.

What would you rather have: "Old" technology that works or "New" technology that keeps cutting out and is unreliable?

For a lot of people that's an easy choice.

For over 90% of the people that live in the areas that don't "cut out", the choice is very clear. AT&T is the only way to go.

But, it will be nice for the remaining 10% to have a service, even if it soesn't support calling ans surfing at the same time.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Verizon will be LAST....Steve will assure that. T-Mobile is next (already GSM), then Sprint just to spite Verizon.

Verizon refused the first opportunity to get the iPhone (I bet in hindsight that Apple was glad that they did....they ditched they CDMA iPhone and were able to create a GSM based iPhone and sell it globally).

Potential Verizon iPhone Customers beware: Better buy a second cell phone for that trip to Europe!

Heh, for the fees ATT charge you to use your phone in Canada or overseas,
I bet you'd be better off buying a tracphone for your trip, that's what I'll do!

Sparrows

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
Texas
I was with Verizon for a decade before the iPhone and they sucked. If you're expecting some kind of a miracle over AT&T's quality you're going to be in for a surprise.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Im with verizon 100% and all but did anyone else notice that there was NO option on the poll they showed that said they wont do it. Its either somewhat likely or very likely. Its like a trap for people who dont want to.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
I've said it many times before, but I think Apple should create an unlocked World iPhone with both CDMA and GSM chipsets in them, sell them for $499-$699 in stores with no contract (with 16/32/64GB respectively), and if any of the US carriers want at it, they can sell it with whatever subsidized prices will grab the customer.

Give the option solely to the customer already, let those dumb pipes fend for themselves based solely on their strengths and merits. You bought straight out and don't like AT&T's service so far? Cut and run to Verizon and give them a shot with your iPhone. Too expensive? Jump ship to T-Mobile. Got too many friends and family in Sprint? Take your iPhone over and switch.

Who wins in the end? Apple and their customer.

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2006
I have a simple solution for everyone in this story.

Ready for it?? Okay.

GET A DIFFERENT PHONE. If you have so many problems with your iPhones, sell them for a profit and get a different phone. It's really not that big of a deal.

kaythxbye.

I'm going to take your advice and do just that!

I feel like a new man!

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
How can it be outdated when it is the current technology of the largest wireless carrier in the US?

The rest of the world isn't using GSM (exclusively) either - CDMA is used by hundreds of carriers worldwide that service about 500 million people.
Did you forget an /s? CDMA is primarily used for either data only (EVDO) or in poorer countries with talk and text services outside of the US. Only in the US do you see CDMA smartphones because the rest of the CDMA market is either data cards or talk and text (feature phones).

In Canada, the CDMA carriers now call their CDMA network "legacy" and they are pushing their HSPA+ networks which have a theoretical download speed of 21Mbps and 42Mbps within a year. That 500 million number that you throw around is out of date and included a lot of laptop cards and other data only devices. The majority of data customers are probably upgrading to HSPA+ if it is available in their country. CDMA carriers in Asia and Canada are abandoning the standard for a much faster HSPA+ (3G+) standard. The 3G that AT&T markets is also known as HSPA.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I will have to break my contract with AT&T early. So while folks might want a Verizon phone, many might not actually do it right away to avoid the extra costs. Regardless of the costs, I am going to get a Verizon iPhone as soon as it comes out.

Yes, I think a lot of people will break their contract. In the big affluent cities of New York and San Fran, Verizon is much better service. AT&T charges a $375 early termination fee, but the cost of switching phones will probably be free (you will probably be able to sell your AT&T iPhone 4 for a price equal to the cost of buying your new phone from Verizon). So assuming the data plans are about the same price, we are talking about less than 60 cents a day difference over a two year contract. For lots of people that is a meaningless amount of money to improve the daily experience of their most important technological device.

And Verizon might run a special on the dataplan in order to attract new customers. Wouldn't that be a kick in the balls to AT&T? How about, show me your early termination charge from AT&T and we will deduct that amount over your first four months on Verizon? Or just a $100 rebate or something like that.

RonD69

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Ha ha, exactly.

AT&T service has been very poor for me these last two and a half years, but I'd still stick with them. I prefer poor service to a poor company. When AT&T messes up I can't help but feel they're just a bit dopey and have a hard time figuring things out. You know, like a puppy. Verizon's misteps, on the other hand, tend to be more of the 'James-Bond-Villain' variety.

I just can't see myself ever going to Verizon. (I'd certainly consider T-Mobile or Sprint, though. Here's hoping they're not left out.)

+1
hehe...you went "Jame Bond" analogy on us.

rmiller4877

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
Market research does not understand math concepts

This market research firm needs to understand the difference between "Total" and "Average". The 29% Total in the first graph actually represents an average. :rolleyes:

Delegator

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
Unless it is a world phone, the upside is limited

The biggest question is whether a Verizon iPhone will be a true "World Phone" like their Blackberry offerings that have both CDMA & GSM radios. I tend to doubt it just because of the limited real estate available in the iPhone 4 chassis. Adding a GSM radio would seem to require
a. antenna redesign (already has 3 for the GSM bands, how do you add CDMA to that?)
b. another chip inside (meaning removal of...something -- battery life, memory, etc)

If Verizon manages to pull off a truly world-capable iPhone, great! I had Verizon service for years until getting my iPhone 4, and theytruly have better service throughout North America. But, go to Europe or to most parts of Asia (Japan being a notable exception) and CDMA is worthless.

This is the same issue Verizon has with their Android devices, BTW -- no world capable phone. World travelers may be a relatively small device market, but I would guess they are relatively high-end when it comes to service plans.

Oilbrnr

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Why am I never asked my opinion in these surveys....

I'll stick with AT&T. I'm very happy with their service. Having used a Verizon phone for work, I can say (in my area) that there is no real difference in coverage and AT&T is consistently faster.

How many times am I in BFE where I need service with the "old" technology... maybe once or twice a year and I'm probably camping, so I don't want service anyhow.

Yeah until you need to call 911 in an emergency. Wife and I traveled to the Greer area this weekend. With the exception of Payson, Showlow (EDGE) and a few other spotty areas, no service from AT&T. My work VZ BB, had coverage 90%+ of the time.

You obviously don't get out much in AZ.

bergmef

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
North East, MD, USA
And conversely, watch how fast Verizon's reliability goes down the drain :p

It might slow down, although I doubt it. CDMA handles loads very well.

Didn't ATT say most iphone users used a couple hundred Meg each month anyway? I sometimes wonder if it's the number of users and not the amount of data (even though some research firm listed them as 3rd in the US for data usage).

I'd like to find out how they do ... but as I always say, use the service that covers you best (if that's what you are looking for).

itsmeok

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2007
4-th row, 9-th from left
I'm staying put. When tons of users leave for another network, AT&T will finally be able to handle the load due to less strain. :)

The problem I have is not with data load handling, even if slow I am happy with browsing and data downloading. It is with the call drops that I have the biggest problem. In the California central coast, practically every service provider is better than AT&T (again in terms of making phone calls).

So, even though your statement resonates well with me, I am afraid I am still going to switch.

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
I think Apple on Verizon will help Apple far more then it would hurt AT&T.

My Experience AT&T isn't any different then Verizon. But a lot of people buy Android phones because they Like Verizon better or get better service in that area and what is the point buying a phone and use a carrier that doesn't cover their area.

Sure there will be some people who leave AT&T because they like the iPhone that much better then AT&T and are just putting up with AT&T. An really if people are going to leave AT&T in droves because of the Verizon iPhone, then AT&T should think about the problems in their network.

Fattyq

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
New England
I was with Verizon for a decade before the iPhone and they sucked. If you're expecting some kind of a miracle over AT&T's quality you're going to be in for a surprise.

The grass is always greener. Eventually it will go to Verizon, because the media has hyped it for the last 4 years. It will have even more sales, and the verizon network will start having the same issues the ATT network has. It is unfortunate that these phone companys still havent fixed the real issue, and that is the infrastructure that it is all built around on. Go ahead and put up some more cell sites. It is still using 100 year old cabling in NY and in SF Not gonna mean **** which network you are on.

Personally i cannot wait. Hurry up and release it for the big V, so att's network has less traffic.

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Also, 100% of early adopter iPhone4 owners will not be switching to the Verizon phone because they are locked to AT&T for TWO YEARS! Ouch.

Can't wait for the Verizon phone this January!!! :D:D:apple::apple::D:D

Antenna issue fixed? CHECK
No more dropped calls? CHECK
Better iPhone? CHECKMATE!!!!!!!!!!

There will always be a select few who will pay to get away from AT&T. I know several people who have already said they will do it if it happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.