Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I watched them play Michigan, Utah State, Oregon.

I think they are way above average. Just don't think they are top 4. Oregon isn't the same Oregon and Michigan isn't an offensive juggernaut.

By your defensive comments (I am interpreting them that way - I could be wrong). I think any critique of your team would be rejected by you.

BTW - RB throwing a touchdown, punter running for 30+ years, punt returner faking catch on the Utah sideline while the punt actually was kicked on the Oregon sideline. Those are 3 trick plays I remember.

Im not hating on Utah. I was rooting for them. Just my opinion. :) In fact just looked at the schedule and will be rooting for you all season long. Especially on Nov 7th. You will be my #2 favorite team.

Not being defensive, I also don't think Utah has earned a top 4 ranking (I don't even think there should be rankings this early in the season). But Utah was up big when they ran the takeout punt return and the halfback pass, they didn't rely on those things to win. The fake punt, where the Utah punter sprung for 33 yards, that was a botched snap that he made the most of. Not a designed trick play.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Not being defensive, I also don't think Utah has earned a top 4 ranking (I don't even think there should be rankings this early in the season). But Utah was up big when they ran the takeout punt return and the halfback pass, they didn't rely on those things to win. The fake punt, where the Utah punter sprung for 33 yards, that was a botched snap that he made the most of. Not a designed trick play.

Yeah I just watched that punt and I think you are right. Does look like he was going to punt it.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
On 2nd take in an interview he confirmed he was running a fake punt. Unless he is trying to cover something up.

I guess it's possible they drew up the fake punt and the snap was randomly botched?

But I guess my whole point in this is that that's 3 trick plays. It was clear to me that Utah wasn't relying on trickery to beat Oregon, as you implied.

It's gonna be a fun rest of the season either way.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
It appears the next ESPN College GameDay broadcast will be from the University of Michigan. Not when you have Northwestern University being 5-0 and Michigan now undefeated since the Game 1 loss....

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
It appears the next ESPN College GameDay broadcast will be from the University of Michigan. Not when you have Northwestern University being 5-0 and Michigan now undefeated since the Game 1 loss....

Michigan looking better each week, I'll bet they beat Northwestern. But I'll bet game day goes to SLC for the Utah-Cal matchup.

Last edited:

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Well...another big game. Another big game Georgia decides to muck up.

I don't know how much it was a case of Georgia messing up as Alabama playing better than they have, throwing Georgia off balance and neutralizing Lambert and Chubb. Bama's defense was very good and special teams did well. Coker was more assured than he's been to date. He's much better at finding secondary receivers and knowing when to throw the ball away. I think that Saban's decision to keep him in the game until very late was to give him more experience and further build his confidence. Alabama has several very tough games coming up, but at least they have a fighting chance.

Florida has been a big surprise. I didn't expect them to be 5-0 at this point. And Ohio State, though a very good team, isn't invincible.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
I don't know how much it was a case of Georgia messing up as Alabama playing better than they have, throwing Georgia off balance and neutralizing Lambert and Chubb. Bama's defense was very good and special teams did well. Coker was more assured than he's been to date. He's much better at finding secondary receivers and knowing when to throw the ball away. I think that Saban's decision to keep him in the game until very late was to give him more experience and further build his confidence. Alabama has several very tough games coming up, but at least they have a fighting chance.

Florida has been a big surprise. I didn't expect them to be 5-0 at this point. And Ohio State, though a very good team, isn't invincible.

I think there's an overreaction in regard to Ohio State. IIRC they didn't blow everybody out last year either. And they seem to not really be concentrating. Meyer is clearly holding Elliot back. That dude is an absolute monster.

Michigan State - another overreaction.

TCU and Baylor did just like they did last year, then TCU played overrated Ole Miss and Baylor lost to Michigan State. They'll do the same this year because they both play the same kind of game Oregon does and you simply can't win championships like that. Alabama has shown time and time again you need a good defense.

Comparisons to Florida Sate re: Ohio State are ridiculous. I think the quality of the BIG teams is higher than ACC. Hell, Clemson won by 2 at home, in the rain, against second string QB ND.

People react too much week-to-week. Will probably see Ohio State, Alabama, TCU, and Clemson in the final 4. Probably another Ohio State championship unless they lose during the regular season.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Glad to see my Utes jump 5 spots on a bye week! 5th in the AP poll may be the highest we've been this early in the season before.

Also interesting that ESPN's power rankings have Utes at #1.

It will be fun to watch Gameday being filmed from back home this weekend. Hopefully Utah can handle Cal like they did Oregon!

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Glad to see my Utes jump 5 spots on a bye week! 5th in the AP poll may be the highest we've been this early in the season before.

Also interesting that ESPN's power rankings have Utes at #1.

It will be fun to watch Gameday being filmed from back home this weekend. Hopefully Utah can handle Cal like they did Oregon!

Don't take this the wrong way, but the power rankings are definitely not reflective of the best teams in the country. I like Utah, but they're not #1.

ameriMacka

Suspended
Oct 26, 2014
core
b5aec7a3fb549793a20d55aa06957d52_crop_north.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Don't take this the wrong way, but the power rankings are definitely not reflective of the best teams in the country. I like Utah, but they're not #1.

My understanding is that Power rankings are based on SOS and margin of victory etc. Probably as legit as the opinions of media members and coaches/staff.

But it's all good. The only poll that matters hasn't even been released yet. My understanding there is that it's also a lot like the power-rankings in that it relies a whole lot less on history and conference affiliation.

Will be cool to see how the next few weeks shake out.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
My understanding is that Power rankings are based on SOS and margin of victory etc. Probably as legit as the opinions of media members and coaches/staff.

But it's all good. The only poll that matters hasn't even been released yet. My understanding there is that it's also a lot like the power-rankings in that it relies a whole lot less on history and conference affiliation.

Will be cool to see how the next few weeks shake out.

Regardless, not #1. Maybe top 5 at best. Just don't have the depth/skill/talent at levels like other teams. It doesn't matter how well you play early in the season, only matters that you don't lose and make it to playoffs.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Regardless, not #1. Maybe top 5 at best. Just don't have the depth/skill/talent at levels like other teams. It doesn't matter how well you play early in the season, only matters that you don't lose and make it to playoffs.

Meh, Utah is P5 now. Could lose and still possibly make the playoffs, depending on how other P5 teams do.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Meh, Utah is P5 now. Could lose and still possibly make the playoffs, depending on how other P5 teams do.

Highly unlikely. Committee would take somebody else. Utah has to go undefeated and win Pac12, otherwise no way.

Committee would take a 1 loss Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan State, Baylor, TCU, Clemson, or Notre Dame I think before they'd take Utah with a loss (especially if that loss is in the Pac-12 championship).

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Highly unlikely. Committee would take somebody else. Utah has to go undefeated and win Pac12, otherwise no way.

Committee would take a 1 loss Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan State, Baylor, TCU, Clemson, or Notre Dame I think before they'd take Utah with a loss (especially if that loss is in the Pac-12 championship).

Obviously if the loss is in the championship. I don't see a non conference-champion ever getting into the playoff.

But if Utah loses one game, but still wins the Pac12, they'll get in; guaranteed. They'll play as many or more top 25 opponents than anyone this year, so their SOS will be what gets them in. Utah still has the current #17, #20, #23 teams on the schedule. If they make the CCG they'll probably face Stanford who is #16 right now, and would likely be higher when they played. I could maybe see a loss to Oregon State being a problem, but anyone else on the schedule this year and the Utes still have a path.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.