Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Not too keen on the possibility of a removable battery. Who is really going to swap batteries?

Most interesting rumor weekend.

At least apple will keep us preoccupied with visions of iPhones and Mac Pros dancing in our heads till WWDC.

VelfarreClubber

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Fullerton, CA
Probably a controlled leak

Probably a controlled leak but that would be really nice to have a removable battery! Along with the other hardware features the competition has.

Jason S.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Allowing for the new features like a removable battery require good design, and this is actually a good design for something like that. The entire back is not removable, which means the other internal components aren't exposed, and will save some space.

There is more to design than aesthetics.

nkawtg72

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
Okay, if we are going to assume it has a removable back then what is the point of having the SIM card tray on the side of the case if you could just access it from the back? It also seems like glass or ceramic would be cost prohibitive compared polymer.

says nothing of a removable back. suggests a removable battery by way of a battery door along the length of one side.

i personally think it's an interesting rumor, maybe it is the next iphone, maybe not. don't rightly care. i know whatever they put out, i will get more than likely, because it's time to replace this 4gig Edge iPhone :)

CanadianGuy

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Wrong

It will not have a user replaceable battery.

This is a prototype for starters, second, that hole he calls the battery release is actually a mic, see the mic on your iPad.

Next, there's no way the battery cover will be over top of the ringer/orientation lock switch and volume buttons.

The phone is legit, but these additions are just wrong.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Okay, if we are going to assume it has a removable back then what is the point of having the SIM card tray on the side of the case if you could just access it from the back? It also seems like glass or ceramic would be cost prohibitive compared polymer.

no, I think the images suggest the side metal piece slides off. not the entire back.

arn

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Removable battery? Yes. Design? No.

Can't see why apple would back off on not having removal battery, that part just seem out of place for apple, look at the ipad, and I would rather have had a removal battery in that than in a phone I will have max 2 years.
very very :confused:

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Am I the only one who DOESN'T want a user-replaceable battery? I feel like it will affect the phone's design in a bad way.

No your not the only one, personally I for one think that is a bad idea, ipad maybe yes, iphone, don't really need it. at least I have never needed it or missed it.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I don't know if I can handle another 2 months of speculation...Apple needs to at least confirm the WWDC dates already lol.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Maybe it does have an ejectable battery, BUT has a sensor that tells them if you tamper with it. Only Apple employees can eject it, and a legal disclaimer says that if you eject it, you void your warranty.

(the photo with the red arrows seemed too blurry to me to decipher. Seriously, how can that be reliable evidence? Can you really definitely tell that other object is an iPad? Explain.)

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Not too keen on the possibility of a removable battery. Who is really going to swap batteries?

I'm not convinced it will be removable. They have been moving to non-removable in all of their mobile products.

I agree with John Gruber on this being some kind of development frame.
I think it’s a testbed frame — thicker, with visible (un-Apple-like) seams, meant to fit in 3GS cases so as to disguise units out in the wild. It’s hard to tell from the photos.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Most of us really have iPhone/iPod/iPad chargers in our cars, offices, and strewn all around our homes at this point...

Oh and Apple Inc. does not currently offer any product with a user replaceable battery...

C'mon, really if this is legit, it's a test/prototype case, that's all...

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
no, I think the images suggest the side metal piece slides off. not the entire back.

arn

says nothing of a removable back. suggests a removable battery by way of a battery door along the length of one side.

Ohhhh okay. That still seems a bit illogical to me, if you're going to have a piece that comes off why not hide the SIM card back there are well but that's just me.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I'd hate to be the Apple employee to left it at the bar. Then I'd hate to be the boss that tried to pass a little disinformation to say it was a rip-off copy. I bet we see a couple job postings at Apple for iPhone tester and test manager.... :)

I wouldnt worry to much about the guy who left the phone there. He doesnt work for Apple so he's safe. This is not a genuine prototype. Theres no way apple would use a replaceable battery in this when they dont offer it in any other device.

This is not an iPhone, no matter how much people want it to be one.

I'm not trying to be rude, just informational

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Curving a structure helps to dissipate forces (think arched bridges).

When it comes to materials science strength and toughness are very technical terms with very specific meanings (I studied the subject at University). For example toughness is a resistance to fracture at high stresses, this has nothing to do with brittleness. Any type of impulse loading and ceramics become obsolete when compared to more ductile materials such as metals or some polymers.

Also as a mechanical engineer/academic let me advise you to ignore wikipedia. I can't begin to tell you how many students have gotten misinformation from this website.

You're right about the curved surface being stronger, it was pretty stupid of me to state otherwise. The part where I try to say that moving to ceramics explained the flat back is totally guesswork on my part.

As for Wikipedia, it may not be exact, but a process does exist to make Zirconia much tougher and make it ductile instead of brittle:

The brittle/ductile transition in cubic stabilised zirconia

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (JB3.1, unlocked): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7D11 Safari/531.21.10)

Salacion said:

Are you kidding?! I'd LOVE to be able to carry ow or two extra batteries in my bag. As it is, I genrally carry two externals anyway; a user-accessible battery would be fantastic.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
im glad the battery is hard to get out so if i drop it the back doesnt come flying off. tho i rather no removable just to make the battery bigger and make the phone look better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.