Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VitaminC

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
I mentioned in an earlier post that I had purchased 2x2GB from Play.com for £55.97. It arrived yesterday and I can confirm it is KTA

How is the performance of the KTA ones in relation to Crucial's? (if you have used Crucial before, ofcourse).

And in general, how do you feel about it having used your new RAM. Any complaints, cons to buying from play, seeing its the cheapest out there atm?

deniser

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Cornwall, England
I have bought numerous items over the years from Play and can recommend them.

As for the ram it is still sitting in their packages as my new MacBook has not arrived yet. I have an iMac I am still using that I have sold, but not tried the ram in that as it has 3gb in it.

I wont be able to compare the ram in the MB when I get it as I will have nothing to compare it to I'm afraid. One plus is it is not KVA (Kingston Value Ram) it is KTA.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
Just did my daily check and my euro's are gone ...

In fact what sux for crucial is that they know you are a returning customer and charge more than when you do not yet appear in their database. I made my last order twice because of an error and got a lower price for the second order that I made on another computer. Luckily for me they charged the second one.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
No they're not. FB-DIMMs, particularly those for the new Mac Pros are not in plentiful supply. Add to the fact that they are EEC and you can see where the costs come in.

That's why you can order 8GB from the states for £250 + Import Duty.

Silly me.

siam

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
Thailand
Trying to buy RAM from the UK

I am trying to buy ...

2 X Kingston Memory RAM Part No. KTA-MB667/2G from a seller in the UK who will ship the RAM over sea's to here in Thailand ( this Kingston RAM is difficult to find here, as its mostly Value Ram that's sold here. )

any one have an Idea where I can get from the UK..? , ive tried most company's on the list here, but as of yet no luck.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I am trying to buy ...

2 X Kingston Memory RAM Part No. KTA-MB667/2G from a seller in the UK who will ship the RAM over sea's to here in Thailand ( this Kingston RAM is difficult to find here, as its mostly Value Ram that's sold here. )

any one have an Idea where I can get from the UK..? , ive tried most company's on the list here, but as of yet no luck.

Any specific why you need it from the UK?

Surely there are retailers in thailand!

siam

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
Thailand
Hi acearchie

I can order the Kingston KTA-MB667/2G from here for around £ 50.00 each
and 4-8 weeks delivery, but looking at the UK for around £ 30.00 so as I need Two then getting them from the UK would save around £ 40.00 and I would feel safer getting them from the Uk .:)

Thanks...

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Hi acearchie

I can order the Kingston KTA-MB667/2G from here for around £ 50.00 each
and 4-8 weeks delivery, but looking at the UK for around £ 30.00 so as I need Two then getting them from the UK would save around £ 40.00 and I would feel safer getting them from the Uk .:)

Thanks...

Tried play.com?

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
I am trying to buy ...

I'm in Taiwan right now and just started selling some Transcend PC2-5300 SO-DIMM RAM on ebay... I just upgraded my MBP to 4Gb and can attest to the quality. Probably quicker to get to Thailand if that helps you or anyone else looking for MBP Ram:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=150214634554&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=005

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Will 800MHz SO-DIMMs work in current Macbooks and Macbook Pros? If so this seems like a better investment with future updates to these laptops likely to use this faster RAM.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Will 800MHz SO-DIMMs work in current Macbooks and Macbook Pros? If so this seems like a better investment with future updates to these laptops likely to use this faster RAM.

From my experiance I would think no but you will have to get someone else to clarify this as I am not 100% sure!

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..

Not worth it.

1. As said above, they may not work in your current laptop.

2. By the time you get a new laptop, faster, bigger ram WILL be cheaper. Much cheaper.

3. You're gambling on what platform future Apple laptops will use. There's no certainties there.

Montevina is coming out in a few months, and that's Intel's new platform, with the Penryn chip and new laptop motherboard, and it uses DDR3-800 ram. DDR3 won't be much faster (at first) but it uses less power. Your new DDR2 ram won't work on a DDR3 platform.

Buy the ram that suits what you have now, and leave it there.

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
UK
Including delivery? play.com's Kingston (non-value) 2GB Ram is now £33 inc VAT with free delivery so if not, it's still the better deal even though the price has gone up!

With delivery and it's paired so cheaper ... just!

HTH

- D

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Ive updated (or updating as my comp. is having some problems posting on this connection I have! ;)) with the details above making crucial the cheapest including postage!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Ok I finally got it to update!

Hope the list keeps on helping people out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.