'The Daily' Available in App Store, In-App Subscriptions Now Supported

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jtara macrumors 68000

You just don't purchase an in-app subscription.

2. notabadname macrumors 65816

notabadname

I don't think the free sub will switch to pay automatically, because you don't have to "subscribe" initially. It asks for no authorization or personal data. It just opens like the USA Today. My guess, emphasis on guess, is that when the 2 weeks runs out, it will require you to authorize, in the same way you would for buying an App or song. So, I think, you won't need to worry about forgetting to cancel if you don't want the subscription after the free trial expires.

It's a well done App, with good content and great interactivity. Very slick, and IMO, worth the free trial. No crashes yet, and I have been playing with it for over an hour now.

3. jacollins macrumors 6502a

You'd be surprised, I was. It's embarassing visiting another country and they know more about the current news in the US than I do...

4. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Agreed. A plate of dog doo the second time served is still dog doo.

I'm not saying that the Daily is dog doo. If an app is bad, why does the rest of world want it as the same time as the US?

5. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

LOL.. this has to be one of the funniest things I have ever read on MR!!

6. notabadname macrumors 65816

notabadname

Great Sudoku and Crossword App built into the App also. And they even have leaderboards for both. Although it may be disheartening to compare myself on either on a national level:rolleyes:

7. Bentron macrumors 6502

I'm waiting for the functionality that News apps can push content to the user, rather than having to go in-app and download. For example, come downstairs in the morning, iPad on the table, push the Sleep/Wake button and you have a Notification that today's issue of the whatever is ready to read.

I'd imagine it will come soon with the new subscription model being announced today, probably when iPad 2 is launched.

8. hfletcher macrumors 6502

hfletcher

Couldn't care less! Sorry, I had to say it!! ;)

Anyway, I think it should be up to consumers whether or not they want to buy US news, not the company. How do they really know what people want? A lot of news is quite US centric anyway, most celebrity stories are from the US, and any international news like the Egypt unrest is global and appeals to everyone. (i.e. What I mean is, the news is still the news, doesn't matter what country publishes it)

9. citi macrumors 65816

citi

There are apps that already do this. Entertainment Weekly pushes a notification when an update available. It downloads in real time so you don't have to wait for the entire update to see new information

10. thecypher macrumors regular

You are right. But probably from watching BBC or some local news though. Most European and Asian news channels report a lot on what goes on around the world. Somehow in our country here it is different. It is very focused on America. They report pages and pages and talk and talk about Woods and his mistresses and the big flood in Australia and the earthquake in Asia that killed several hundred thousand people gets a passing mention if that.

11. SandynJosh macrumors 68000

While I agree with basically what you wrote, I do think you underestimate the interest throughout the world in what goes on in the USA. That said, I do wish the USA media would cover world news more diligently then they do sports and entertainment. As for "opinion", I find the New York Times delivers it with far more balance and without the hype and emotionally charged language & inflections by writers capable of real reason and restraint.

12. Cagle macrumors regular

don't sigh, you made me lol

13. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately that doesn't exist anymore. As far as I know, NO news is unbiased or even close. Personally, I think this is because of a fundamental change in the networks. Back in the day, the News was a loss leader for the networks. It didn't make a profit, but would draw people in and get them to hopefully watch the other shows on the network.

These days, every show needs to make a profit (ie. bring in the advertising dollars). Unfortunately, due to human nature, most people are attracted to the tabloidy negative stuff. So they go with the more tabloidy negative news stories. It draws the viewers, the viewers draw the advertisers, advertisers bring the money.

14. Crackbone macrumors regular

/sarcasm? lol!

Most amusing thing I've read in some time, hah!

15. 0815 macrumors 68000

I am European living in the US - I am sometimes shocked how little co-workers know (and how little they care) about things going on in their own country. I am also shocked how much information about things happening in the US I learn from european newspaper (that I read online) where the US newspapers (especially the local news papers) have no or very very little coverage. News on the local channel are a joke.

16. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Agreed! FoxNews. The right wing propaganda machine. If the daily app is anything like their "news" channel I'll be avoiding both.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

re: #2 - why do you care how many users the app gets or how much money it makes apple. Are you an investor in either company? And if so - that's still not a reason for others to care how successful the app is or isn't. I don't care how much Apple makes or doesn't on an app. They make a fortune on apps I don't use and they don't make a cent on ones that I do.

I agree with #1... #3 is all speculation

18. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

Now I can get the news on my iPhone/iPod touch/iPad!

Oh wait, I have Internet access...

19. richdurham macrumors newbie

The Daily

If it was anybody else, I'd think it a good idea. IMHO there are integrity issues surrounding this news provider.

Sent from my not (as yet) hacked 'phone.

20. SandynJosh macrumors 68000

I agree. I like my news fresh and unspiced, not masticated, digested and excreted.

21. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I wish The Daily were available on the iPhone. :( No iPad for me.

I watched the web stream. Informative but pretty dry and stoic.

Rupert says The Daily has a weekly production overhead of $500,000 or... $72,000 per day. At 11 cents per day they need roughly 650,000 paid subscribers to break even.

The webcast kept referring to advertising revenue though and how The Daily would like half the revenue coming from this. How is advertising implemented in the application? The demo I saw didn't have any banner ads. Are the advertising links embedded inside the articles?

22. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

There was a preview for the movie Rio...

23. benpatient macrumors 68000

as Joe biden would say....

BFD.

why is this front page news?

24. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Actually, I *am* an investor in Apple stock, so the better Apple does, the happier I am. :)

As for # of users/money. This is a leader type app. If it does well, you'll see other news apps like it for the various other brands. If it fails miserably, you won't. So if you want more apps like it, you want it to do well (even if you don't buy it).

25. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

In degrees of bias no one exceeds Fox News, that's why they admitted to being mostly opinion in the UK recently.

They're audience is beyond loyal though, it's a bit cultish. No one who pays close attention to news thinks that CNN has a liberal bias, CNN just isn't very good at news, period.

To make a blanket statement like 'all news has bias' has some degree of 'truthiness,' but it also gives the false impression that there are equal levels of bias. That is definitely not true, Fox News exceeds any level of bias seen anywhere in 'news.'

Objective news doesn't have a middle, factual news cuts both ways depending on who did what.

It's not suprising to see Fox posting in support of Fox, but Fox basically maintains the same audience that they have everywhere. I don't think they are going to pick up a lot of readers if it's the same content they have everywhere else.