The Home Improvement Q&A Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Jun 7, 2015.

1. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

If you don't want a yearly fee. You'd likely have to look at a home DVR (surveillance kind) and run a Cat6 cable for PoE. More hassle but better for privacy.

I've found Ring are not that reliable. Especially if you have more than one WiFi access point using the same SSID. While a hardwired DVR is very reliable.

There also appears to be options now to receive Push notifications to smartphone apps for DVR systems. Which appear to be possible to configure via DDNS. So that a third party isn't receiving your footage.

You should also be able to do the same with IP Cameras and a home server.

2. jeyf, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019

jeyf macrumors 65816

thieves are making off with the doorbell cameras
    go figure?

i see QNAP and other NAS box manufacturers are providing space you can install firmware and have it pay out on to your private, the lan side of your home network
    maybe private? but along those lines
    nice to see a few home security offerings, firmware that doesn't include google

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ring will replace your camera if it gets stolen. I have not really heard of this happening though.

4. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Let’s talk Toilets
    See this pretty, expensive toilet- American Standard Town Square:
    6FC57FEB-7D8A-46F9-BD18-DB582CCF8D6B.png
    See how the connections to the floor are covered up? Well it gets even better. The water connection in the back is in a tunnel through the base up to the tank, you can’t get your wrench on. The screws that connect the tank to the base are not much better.

So, the bottom line is you ever have to go in and replace parts, there is a good chance you’ll have to remove the tank to get at water flush components connection of the outside. If your water hose needs to be replaced, the tank has to be removed so you can get at it’s thread on the outside. Ok maybe they have special tools for this project, but I don’t have them.

B13D35ED-6677-45BC-8CD0-3BE995CC3668.jpeg

I had to remove the tank so I could hang wall paper behind it, and when I put it back together it leaked. So each time I troubleshot I had to remove the tank. This will also apply in the future when you have to change the water shutoff valve inside the tank. I just told my wife, never again, will we buy a toilet which is very hard to access connections. Someone will be cursing, you or the plumber. :)

Something like this with the water connection on the exposed part of the tank is much better when it is time to replace parts:

729D8D20-D8F3-44D6-BA43-85B7A720CCB5.png

5. Zenithal, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019

Zenithal macrumors G3

Yeah, I'd have skipped that myself. I can install a toilet. It's simple stuff. But that would piss me off. With toilets, I usually look for:

A) Brand quality
    B) Highest GPH delivery and suction vacuum

Not every 1.2 or 1.6 potty is the same. I personally like Toto because they're dead easy to fix, superior to nearly all domestic brands and they're powerful. I don't have a real opinion on single vs. dual flush. I think both are good. Our second home has a mix of them throughout the house.

Depending on use frequency, the interior plastics in the tank will be the most replaced. Though I imagine this has more to do with local water supply rather than product build quality.

All toilets built after 1995, I think, are capable of removing waste of a minimum amount. More expensive toilets that aren't tech products are more expensive because they have minute design changes allowing you to flush more matter down that can be 3-5x the minimum spec without clogging.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I’ve yet to be let down by the Cadet Pro by American Standard. My plumber swears by them more than the gimmicky ones at twice the price. We now have 3 in our house. Zero issues.

7. Zenithal macrumors G3

The Cadet Pro is very good. It's better than most of the powerful Kohlers or Totos. Apparently under the right conditions it can flush 1,500 g of waste. Which is a lot. And by that I mean I spend way too much time on DIY and home improvement forums.

My issue with toilet test videos is the materials choice. Sand is a better options than golf balls or whatever. Anything that can create some form of seal to resemble waste is a better option that anything where water flow is generally unimpeded.

8. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

This toilet functions well, my complaint centers around replacing parts.

9. Zenithal macrumors G3

10. jeyf, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019

jeyf macrumors 65816

too late now but someone should have removed the unit in tact, as one, at the floor and kept the tank in attached. depending on the age on the initial installation replace the unit to the floor with a new wax seal. The homeDepot wax seals can be less than expected. I usually spend the extra money for a second wax extender. New stainless steel mounting hardware as well. New supply hose too.

HomeDepot has repair kits to re attach the tank to the base and the kit will likely work. If not your bad. I give homeDepot the 1st try but if it fails i take a few photos of the toilet and go to a more commercial plumbing supply counter. Toilets don't last that long and often better to just junk the whole appliance. Especially for a rental.

at the local homeDepot there are 2 sales people that have excellent plumbing knowledge. Ill ask the store manager who is working on the floor that day. Be serious about a plumbing project and complete it with success and walk away from it for 5+ years. Why not be kind to your self today.