Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
The present tense writing style bothers the **** out of me, too. But by around page 100 I got over it.

Couldn't tell you if the book's good or not, as I've not finished it yet, either.

The present tense threw me for a loop as well - but in parts of the story, the present tense adds a bit of tension that past tense would lose.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Consider seeing it at the movies. They had to tone down the movie to make it PG13 and it lost some of it's emotional power as compared to the book. The audience response in some of the parts somewhat offsets this and definitely added to the movie (I'm not a big fan of violence in movies but I think in this case they lost something from the books by making the movie PG13).

I am very much not a fan of violence for the sake of violence, but these books have some pretty dark stuff happening that requires it for the story.

I'm having a pretty hard time figuring out how they would handle the next two books if they wanted to maintain the PG13. There is some pretty horrifying stuff that happens.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Hero? Symbol of hope? By the end she is a shallow, whiny, selfish, brainless girl whose only redeeming point is she can shoot a straight arrow

I really enjoyed the series but it was one of the few where I didn't care for the main character at the end (i.e. I agree with your characterization of her but not liking her doesn't make it bad).

----------

I'm trying to read the books right now. Did anyone else think that they were about ...fifth grade reading level?

Yep but the subject material is adult. It is a very quick read.

----------

I am very much not a fan of violence for the sake of violence, but these books have some pretty dark stuff happening that requires it for the story.

I'm having a pretty hard time figuring out how they would handle the next two books if they wanted to maintain the PG13. There is some pretty horrifying stuff that happens.

The second book should translate pretty well to a movie similar to the first one. I have no idea how they will do the last movie without changing a lot (similar to the later Harry Potter movies).

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan

Shakier cameras. :rolleyes: Sarcasm, but almost guarantee it.

I kind of wish a studio had the balls to release a movie like HP7-2 or ffs Hunger Games 3-2 as R because the ticket sales will not go down. Guaranteed. At that point the series has cemented its status and kids will go no matter what. Might even make more money with parents having to tag along or pre-screen it.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
My plan is to read the book, then eventually rent the movie.

I couldn't wait any longer and saw it Saturday. GREAT movie. Now I'm reading the book. I love it.

I'm trying to read the books right now. Did anyone else think that they were about ...fifth grade reading level?

I didn't think they were. So far, I think they're very well written.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Hero? Symbol of hope? By the end she is a shallow, whiny, selfish, brainless girl whose only redeeming point is she can shoot a straight arrow

I just finished the series reading most of Catching Fire and Mockingjay last night and tonight to stay ahead of my 5h grader and I didn't come away with this impression at all.

But then, I actually enjoy books with nontraditional/imperfect/unwilling heroes.

My one reproach is that I thought the denouement was predictable and inevitable from the beginning of Mockingjay when the extent to which the pawn has been used becomes apparent and how neither side can claim any kind of moral superiority.

I actually think I'm due for my regular re-reading of the (First) Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. An imperfect morally ambiguous hero if ever there was one. :p

But I may just read Suzanne Collins' Underland Chronicles series before that. My son finished that recently too and it sounds like some similar themes may be explored without the same level of bleakness and despair.

FWIW I actually like the predominant present-tense presentation. It added to the sensation that we were living the story through the eyes of Katniss, with only the knowledge she had at the moment and full of the same doubts.

B

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I just finished the series reading most of Catching Fire and Mockingjay last night and tonight to stay ahead of my 5h grader and I didn't come away with this impression at all.

I came away with that impression. You understand why she did the the things she did but it still doesn't make her likable.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I guess I am the only one who didn't like the books

The first book was mildly interesting and entertaining and it should have ended with the revolution "catching fire" and the reader left to imagine the world becoming a better place, but that wouldn't have made any money on 2 more useless books

The trilogy is best read as one story. The first book could be considered "chapter 1".

As for the protagonist, she is 16 years old. I'm not sure that having to become the breadwinner/parent figure for her family at age 11 qualifies her as selfish. And I think she earns the right to whine a bit. An unready, unwilling pawn/symbol of a brewing revolution.

Yeah, the writingis pablum for adults. However, as an adult one can appreciate the author's allusions, and it opened up a world of conversation/educational opportunities between my kids and me.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
As for the protagonist, she is 16 years old. I'm not sure that having to become the breadwinner/parent figure for her family at age 11 qualifies her as selfish. And I think she earns the right to whine a bit. An unready, unwilling pawn/symbol of a brewing revolution.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I think it makes her a far more realistic human being and also more relatable to the intended "YA" audience. Also, the shallowness and selfishness, to some extent, are essential to self-preservation in her context. I don't think the books would have been anywhere near as interesting seen though the eyes of someone "purer" like Peeta, even if he was telling Katniss' story.

I can't wait for my son to be able to revisit these themes in a few years in "heavier" material like Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies and 1984.

B

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
REUTERS - Movie sensation "The Hunger Games" survived fresh competition from the "Titanic" and the gross-out "American Pie" gang to notch its third domestic box office win over the weekend.

"Hunger Games" took in $33.5 million at U.S. and Canadian theaters from Friday through Sunday and lifted its domestic sales through three weekends to $302.8 million, according to studio estimates released on Sunday.

The Easter weekend receipts for "Hunger Games" topped "American Reunion," a sequel to one of film's biggest comedy franchises, and a 3D remake of "Titanic" timed for the anniversary of the ship's sinking. It was the third straight box office win for "Hunger Games."

International ticket sales since its opening reached $157.1 million through Sunday, bringing the film's combined domestic and overseas receipts to $460 million.

The Lions Gate Entertainment Corp movie about teens forced to fight to the death stormed into theaters on March 23 with a staggering domestic take of $152.5 million, the third-biggest weekend debut and the highest for a non-sequel.
reuters

Thats some big money right there. People must be seeing it over again.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I've read the books, and they were really good. But I don't think the movie will be that great, mainly because movies that have been made out of books usually aren't that great (unless it was all planned out in advance, like harry potter).

I don't know about really good. They were somewhat entertaining but as far as the plot goes, not terribly unique nor as in depth in comparison to many novels I read. I am not really surprised though as the novel was written for those in elementary and upwards to easily read it it seems imho

Not sure if I want to see the movie after reading the books however. I am amazed at what novels become hits. I know I have read many novels that were excellent but no movies or hype for them lol.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I couldn't wait any longer and saw it Saturday. GREAT movie. Now I'm reading the book. I love it.

I didn't think they were. So far, I think they're very well written.

Dude, you're putting me into a quandary! :p I've ordered the second two books and mulling over seeing this in the movies or waiting for rental. I think they are written well enough to keep me entertained. :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't know about really good. They were somewhat entertaining but as far as the plot goes, not terribly unique nor as in depth in comparison to many novels I read. I am not really surprised though as the novel was written for those in elementary and upwards to easily read it it seems imho

Not sure if I want to see the movie after reading the books however. I am amazed at what novels become hits. I know I have read many novels that were excellent but no movies or hype for them lol.

What other novels have you read that have more depth and more unique plot lines? It's more of a question of a book recommendation than a debate.

The books are easy reads, I never thought that I was diving into The Grapes of Wrath here, but I knew that the books were well-regarded and best sellers. I found the books to be highly entertaining and only somewhat predicable. The umbrella story line felt predictable but there were things that happened that surprised me.

The movie was good. I felt cheated for some reason about the way she received the mockingjay pin. I thought that Madge and her father were somewhat important to the overall story, at least enough to warrant leaving that in the movie. When Katniss sees something on the Mayor's TV that she shouldn't have seen; I thought that was pretty important. I would say that at 2+ hours they cannot put everything in there and because it was not in the first movie it doesn't mean it won't be in the second, but I couldn't help feel like it was more important.

I'd see the movie again on DVD. I think they did the best they could with the movie. I also agree with another poster who said that the books should be read as one nearly and seeing book 1 as chapter 1. That is a great point and probably the best advice one could give when recommending the series.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The movie was good. I felt cheated for some reason about the way she received the mockingjay pin. I thought that Madge and her father were somewhat important to the overall story, at least enough to warrant leaving that in the movie. When Katniss sees something on the Mayor's TV that she shouldn't have seen; I thought that was pretty important.

This was also one of the main criticisms both my son and I had of the film. Much less was made of the pin than the book or its sequels make of it.

My other main complaint about the movie is that it actually bothered me a lot to see the scenes that were not from Katniss' POV e.g. those between President Snow and Seneca Crane and seeing the revolts in 11, seeing the gamemasters' control room, etc...

It removed much of the immediacy of it for me.

B

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
What other novels have you read that have more depth and more unique plot lines? It's more of a question of a book recommendation than a debate.
If you liked these books I would suggest looking into the Ender's Game series and the Shadow of the Giant series. Each follows a different main character over roughly the same period of time. I found those books to be better than this Hunger Games trilogy.

The books are easy reads, I never thought that I was diving into The Grapes of Wrath here, but I knew that the books were well-regarded and best sellers. I found the books to be highly entertaining and only somewhat predicable. The umbrella story line felt predictable but there were things that happened that surprised me.
I found these books to be easy reads also. I read all three in about a week and a half and that was without me reading on the weekends because I was preoccupied.

I have not seen the movie yet but it is on the list of things to do this week.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If you liked these books I would suggest looking into the Enger's Game series and the Shadow of the Giant series. Each follows a different main character over roughly the same period of time. I found those books to be better than this Hunger Games trilogy.

I found these books to be easy reads also. I read all three in about a week and a half and that was without me reading on the weekends because I was preoccupied.

I have not seen the movie yet but it is on the list of things to do this week.
Thanks for the tips. I will check those out. My reading list has grown and I do tend to enjoy stories that flow quickly rather than long drawn out stories that uses a bunch of fluff to fill pages.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It's Ender's Game, nor Enger. I'm sure it was simply a typo, but I wanted to correct the title of one of my favorite books and series ever. It's on a whole other level than THG.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not stated as a means of influencing anyone, but I preferred THG to Ender's Game. It was readable, but for a reason I can't really put my finger on, I was underwhelmed by the ending. To each his own. :)

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
This is not intended to be an implication of plagiarism, but those of you who liked The Hunger Games should read Battle Royale (which in my opinion is similar yet better by far). You might also want to consider reading The Long Walk by Stephen King.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.