The iPhone forums need help.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by cyks, Jul 5, 2012.

1. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Maybe I'm the only one, but I have grown extremely tired of having to sift through the endless threads comparing the iPhone to the latest Android, the countless trolls badmouthing Apple and their products, and, most of all, being called an iSheep, punch drinker, or similar moniker that suggests I'm a mindless follower instead of an educated consumer who chooses Apple products.

I began visiting this site a (very) long time ago because I enjoy the Mac community and discussing their products with other like-minded people. I don't come here to listen to people whine and complain about how bad they are and how Android/ Samsung/ Google are the greatest things ever and, while there have been plenty of PC vs. Mac threads in the past, I've never seen it in the shape of the iPhone forum now.

I understand people like to discuss the competition, but it's a little tiring when nearly half of the current top 20 threads are doing so.

There is virtually no discussion on Apple news and rumors and, in the rare cases there is, it quickly dissolves into another 'Android vs. Apple' thread. Even help threads are fairly dwindling as they either suffer the same fate or get pushed aside by the numerous other comparing threads.

I ask that (as many others already have) you make an Android (or non-iPhone) forum, so those Mac users who wish to use Android devices have a place to talk. As it stands, there are plenty of people using an Android device and Apple computers and, if they happen to have problems synching them, they have no place to turn.

There should also be more of a focus on merging the numerous threads that all do the same thing - compare.

Lastly, the name calling has got to be put to an end. I find any of the before mentioned terms (and any wording that makes Apple users out to be mindless zombies buying anything Apple) to be just as bad as a racial or ethnic slur.

Thank you.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I agree that there should be a sub-forum beneath the iPhone forum called something like Other Smartphones.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Agree. At least now, calling someone "fanboy" actually violates the rules (and you can report them):
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Rules_for_Appropriate_Debate

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

5. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

As the mod above me pointed out, I brought this up a while back and even though many others supported the idea it was like talking to a brick wall.

Funnily enough I have just come from the iPhone forum and its a mess, it may as well be the XDA forums and we'll just discuss every phone under the sun.

Page 1 ALONE of the iPhone forums as of right now has:

Here we go again. Will Apple finally go head to head against Google over the Nexus?

Enhanced JellyBean Google Voice Search (40+ Questions that will blow you away)

Switched to SSGS3: an Apple Girl's perspective (hands on).

iPhone 4S vs Galaxy S3

Why don't google patent Android stuff to get iPhones banned?

Samsung galaxy note 2, specs leak

iSung Galaxy V: Combination of iPhone 5 and Galaxy S 3

Help Me Decide, Galaxy Nexus now or wait for iPhone 5

Samsung Flying High With Record $5.9 Billion Profit

So, I can pay $650 for just an iPhone or $550 for a Galaxy Nexus PLUS Nexus tablet?!

You see, a troll LIKES seeing android posts filling up the iPhone forum, I'm willing to bet they would be far less inclined to post troll bait threads if they were always instantly moved into an 'other smartphones' subfolder.

It has really gone downhill, but hey, the mods like it this way!

6. cyks thread starter macrumors 68020

cyks

That would make sense except I, and others, HAVE reported the incessant remarks with no (or very minimal) actions being taken.

From what I have witnessed, one can't use the term "fanboy" or call an individual a name, but it's alright to blanket call anyone who purchases Apple products 'sheep' (or any other previously mentioned derogatory term) since it's not targeted at any one person.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Instant is not going to happen without automated software. If a mod sees the thread in Forum Spy, then there is a good chance that it would be moved quickly, but otherwise we would not recognize the thread unless someone reports it. Reports can take hours to be closed, depending on the time (we usually deal with older reports first and sometimes there are no mods online).

Even if we created a sub-forum for other smartphones, the people who want to troll would keep trolling. Why would they move to the Android sub-forum where they can't troll? We already have a place for troll threads and that's called wasteland.

It's very hard to say anything when I don't know anything about the case. Most actions we take cannot be seen by other members. Only time-outs and bans are public, whereas reminders and warnings are private. We escalate moderation based on member's history. A first time rule breaker won't get timed-out or banned because of name-calling but if the member has history of such behavior, then a time-out is warranted.

Feel free to send a Contact if you think the case you're referring to was not handled properly.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well, it could be made strictly against the rules to post Android related content in the iPhone section. So if a troll decides to go "SGSIV PWNS iPHONE5 IN EVERY WAY" in the iPhone section they won't just have their thread moved, but they'll get a temp ban or something of the sort.

9. nelly29, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

nelly29 macrumors member

This forum needs Android Section?? !!

All this Android talk on the iPhone forum is just stupid......if you want to talk about or compare android phones / ICS / JB please mods put it in its own section.....the current free for all is annoying IMHO

I'm in the iPhone section to talk about iPhones not android phones and their features!

Every 5th post is about Android in one way or another.

10. iCallum macrumors newbie

They should go to a different website for Androids,the site has Mac in the name for a reason :apple:

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    If I have an android I'm not going to go to a Mac forum and the iPhone section to talk about it.
    Seems like we have more android talk than we do about iPhones.
    Doesn't make sense besides doing it for the obvious troll reasons.

12. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

We don't want to limit freedom of speech and only allow certain opinions to be posted. The problem is not Android posts/threads themselves, it's only the inappropriate ones. It's completely possible to have a reasonable, mature discussion about Android vs iPhone and I think iPhone forum is a good place for that. The problem starts when people make threads about Android that have nothing to do with iPhone (e.g. the Jelly Bean Voice search thread mentioned above) or post something about Android when nobody asked anything about it.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

QUIT USING THE TERM FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

I'm personally sick of it being used by various mods when there IS NO freedom of speech on this forum.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Problem is, there is always that discussion and it ill always blow up. It seems limiting speech is the only way. That or limit new thread abilities in "hot" forums with certain key words.

Example, if there is already a thread about Jelly Bean, then each new thread with Jelly Bean in the title should not be allowed to be post, but instead a notice saying, look at XYZ thread which already mentions jelly Bean. Then if the users sees this and thinks he can make a more informed decision on the post.

----------

There is, you are using it right now and no one can say anything against you. Now, there are rules you abide to, you acknowledged these in the terms of usage of this forum. Why complain now? Why not leave if unhappy. However, please not Freedom of Speech is not trampled, it is respected, but everyone has to play nice for it to work.

16. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Side note: I like your new avatar :p

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That's not true. We have discussed this before .
    I'm not saying there shouldn't be rules etc. and I abide by them. But to hide behind freedom of speech to allow all this hate in the iPhone forums and others to a lesser extent is a slap in the face of the writers of the constitution.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You have to be joking. If you really think this you take your choice of electronics far too personally.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Sorry about the yelling hellhammer.

One of those days I suppose.

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Indeed - And what better place for those discussions than the Other Smartphones subforum :)

21. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Well then macrumors should just be renamed since the "Mac" part wouldn't really define what it's about.

*cough*

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The "Mac" part also doesn't define the iPhone, iPad, iPod or the Apple TV... ;)

23. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

I agree. There should be a sub forum for non-iOS users since there are a lot of members who are OS X users but not iOS users.

Right now the iPhone forum it's filled with android related topics and it's kind of bothering to surf thru a page where the top 6-10 topics are android related topics or, iPhone (user) bashing topics to find a good, meaningfully, and helpful iPhone topic so one can contribute.

It' one thing if the all of android topic where helpful, some of them are, but mostly it's a flame war in the majority of them. There are threads there with 15+ pages with one or 2 relevant post. The rest are bashing post ( from either side) to the point of getting extremely ridiculous.

Let them have a sub forum so they can discuss, help, hell even dislike the iPhone between themselves.

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I think you know what I'm saying.

;)

25. cyks thread starter macrumors 68020

cyks

There is one more thing that is publicly visible- the actual post. It's not a matter of the person being handed a time-out or ban, but when I have specifically pointed out posts where blanket name-calling is apparent and nothing is changed over a day later, it's clear that nothing has/ will be done.

It's not a matter of taking things too seriously or not. I'm here to discuss Apple related rumors, products, and help (be helped by) other members. I'm not here to constantly sit through endless rants calling anyone who purchases an Apple product a mindless follower.

They're using wording with negative connotations to stereotype a large group of people... no different than racial slurs.