Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
^^^ I've had him since day one as my captain. Please don't curse him, he is a very good earner :D

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
This is all very unsettling - normally I've long played my wildcard by this point in the season. :D

My Cores had a poor week, but I'm not jerking my knee just yet. The League isn't won in September...

Anyway, here's looking ahead to our next round of MacRumors Cup fixtures:

The Stoplights v Sporting Dual-Cores
Omaha Latics v Woodsmoor Wanderers
Fizzy's Flyers v Brainerd FC
Renfrew Meerkats v Thigh High Socks
FFM v Telford Blues
Nieval's Angry Mob v Fightin' Shrooms
Bayern Bru v Fabulous Boyz
Bushey Fighters v Cleveland AFC
Rugby United v No Value
AFC MacRumors v Neutron Heath​

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Bring it on Renfrew Meerkats!

You just woke the Sleeping Giant. :eek: Look at that menacing avatar and fear! You've brought this on yourself stridemat. May the gods of locker ammunition be swift and merciful!

As for you Sporting Dual Core-rs(?), I will not talk poorly of your stiff, wooden, twirly avatar nor mention what a termite could do to it. I don't need any smack talk to back fire on me. Good luck this week. May the yellower team win!

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I thought that was already quite obvious. :p

I didn't want to say that, so Im glad you did :D

Im going to have issues in the next game week as Im on holiday. Here's hoping the Hotel has WiFi so I can confirm my team come Friday night.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Not until just then. A quick read over at wikipedia confirmed that this was my first encounter, besides of course, his avatar. Sounds fun enough. Love to give it a... flick? I take it most everyone is else is familiar?

With giving 'it' a flick....um Im not sure if Im comfortable discussing that on the internet.;)

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Indeed, the little lad's a Subbuteo player.

My Jaffatar™ is based on one of the mid-1960s figures, known to collectors as 'Heavyweights' which were the standard until the late 1970s. However, he has the shortsleeves and v-neck shirt of the original early Heavyweights, and the peg fastening of the later style figures, known as 'Zombies' because they had a rather lifeless look to them, and the later 'Lightweights' that were introduced in the early 1980s (the Heavyweights attached to their bases by way of a bar attached to the player's feet). His base, meanwhile, is one of the modern competition designs used by seasoned Subbuteo players.

No wonder he's in a state of confusion most of the time. :eek:

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
I thought Subbuteo was known world-wide, I didn't think it was a quaint little English thing like Morris dancing and hatred of the French. I used to play it with my mate when we were about 10 years old, haven't given it a flick for a long time. I guess youngsters these days would be rather confused but it all, what with their Sega MegaWiis and all.

The name foosball really annoys me, I thought it was an American thing to differentiate it from hand-egg but it would appear the name is based on the German fußball which is more acceptable. Calling it anything other than table football/footie/fitba' up here would result in severe mocking.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Americans thought they were doing a great thing when they started chucking all that tea in the harbour, but where did it get them? They have no Subbuteo, no jaffa cakes and Robbie Keane plays there now.

Poor decision on the tea thing, America. ;)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Americans thought they were doing a great thing when they started chucking all that tea in the harbour, but where did it get them? They have no Subbuteo, no jaffa cakes and Robbie Keane plays there now.

Poor decision on the tea thing, America. ;)

It's not fair, you English types have lots of stereotypes to throw at us, and all we've got is the drive-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-road, wonky teeth and bad food jokes.

We should have left the tea alone and gone after the crates of Bovril and jellied eel.

Robbie Keane just scored in Mexico during a (CONCACAF) Champions League match, it was funny watching him do his goofy goal celebration. You can see the Mexicans in the stands laughing - I think they thought he was trying to do a real flip and failed. Actually, maybe he is.

Fuzzy14 said:
The name foosball really annoys me, I thought it was an American thing to differentiate it from hand-egg but it would appear the name is based on the German fußball which is more acceptable. Calling it anything other than table football/footie/fitba' up here would result in severe mocking.

Where I comes from we have 'Fooseball' but no Subbuteo, though it seems to be gaining in popularity here.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Subbuteo? Cousin Kevin? Robbie Keane? The Atlantic's wider than I thought! :eek:

You guys familiar with Electric Football? Good times. Foosball's a great bar game over here. Spent many a night spinning the sticks.

As far as tea parties go, please take them and their politics back. Can't stand those people.

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings

Attachments

• myPerfectCousin.jpg
    myPerfectCousin.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 73

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
If you have a SWFC one, I'd be happy if you sent it my way :)

So, after playing my wildcard, how did I do? Rubbish! I still got a below average score, thanks to Skirtel being sent off, Man City going to sleep, Rooney missing a penalty, Stoke leaking a boat load of goals and Liverpool getting taken apart while being unable to find the net :rolleyes:

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings

Also in the (admittedly rather slim) genre of Subbuteo inspired songs from the 1980s – All I Want For Christmas Is A Dukla Prague Away Kit.

My Jaffatar™ got one for Christmas last year, he was naturally delighted.
View attachment 302750

Thought of that and John Peel when I heard HMHB's Tommy Walsh's Eco House the other day.

Well, these 5 gameweek seasons are short but sweet, here's to next year's league. whistle, whistle

Stoke City - suggested Shawcross to a family member :eek:

Cheers,
OW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.