The new Mac mini is almost certainly coming

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by GabrieleR, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Maybe they can hire some computer engineers away from Lenovo.
    Desktop OS people would be nice too.
    Maybe even some App developers.

2. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

This is kind of the wrong thread to discuss this in but I just ordered a Lenova Yoga 720 with the 8th generation quad core I5 in it to play with for a couple of months from BestBuy. I wanted to evaluate how the 15 watt processor performs and see what potential it could have for the Macs next year.
    I'll let you know how it performs.
    I can always return it after the first of the year or I may like it enough to hold onto.

3. Count Blah, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017

Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

You need to look for Macs with RAM slots AND Thunderbolt 3.

Take a look at this video, starting at around the 3 minutes mark -

1080p games with an Nvidia 1080 Ti, and he's getting choppy performance(4:00 in the video).

The potential is there, but we are still a generation of TB away, and with the extra $$$ on top of the already expensive Macs, and you are talking ultra niche, and not really worth Nvidia's time to support - especially when Apple has shown to be hostile to the whole endeavor to begin with.

Just go PC, if you want to truly enjoy a GPU.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    Link or stop lying.

4. Zarniwoop, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

Zarniwoop macrumors 6502a

As you should have read between the lines, the whole bunch of text was written in a "not so serious prediction mode". But if you read the interview last April where Apple is talking about next Mac Pro and new display, you can sense that they had to turn the Titanic like giant ship they are to another direction.

Most of the interview is quoted in this article.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczko...-the-mac-pro?utm_term=.gwN1zP2kpe#.buGwavbJ15

Apple had discontinued Thunderbolt display months before and told customers to buy someone else's displays instead. Now they have one in production. And they said they were sorry not upgrading Mac Pro sooner. I'm sure Mac Mini went through same process... "There’s a team working hard on it right now" sound like there wasn't a team working hard on it just a moment before...

First Apple crippled Mac mini and then they made a machine for pro users that was in a consumer chassis. They alienated some (perhaps many) of the pro users, and now they've pressed the panic button.

5. Count Blah, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017

Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

It did not have a single mention of a Mini, and more importantly, the discussion was solely focused on Pro Mac users - a group Apple disassociates with the Mini. So no, there is no hope to be taken from any of those quotes, as far as the Mac Mini is concerned.

In fact, what they are saying is obviously lip service, in that they talk about the mistakes they make with thermal throttling, yet they are putting 18 core Xeons in an iMac, which has shown to hit throttle limits with the existing quad core cpus. I know there will be improved engineering around cooling th new iMac, but there is only so much you can do in that form factor.

6. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Not even to mention a power hungry graphics chip and the heat it will generate.
    Also the heat from the PSU to fuel those monsters. Lol

7. Zarniwoop macrumors 6502a

Yes, and yet both machines are way overdue. If Mac Mini was important to Apple two years ago, they would have updated it back then. But they've been too busy with something else. Now suddenly they are saying they're sorry, and new Mac Pro and Mini and display are on a way.

If not a panic button, then at least a hand break with a quick turn to another direction.

8. Miat, Nov 5, 2017

Miat macrumors 6502

If the Mini and Pro are so important to Apple, as they claim, then why didn't they at least upgrade the chipsets more often?

That didn't require a major redesign, and would have solved most of the complaints being made about those two models.

The new Pros and Minis allegedly coming next year better be very good indeed, and stay that way. If they turn out to be more hype than substance, it will hurt Apple big time. The Pro users in particular cannot afford to be burnt badly twice.

9. toke lahti, Nov 5, 2017

toke lahti macrumors 68000

I want to enjoy macos, fcp7, fcpX in the future and 100 tabs in chrome.
    2 monitors all the time and 3rd on occasionally.
    I don't need gaming in 4k@60Hz.
    Some mediocre gpu is fairly enough. I guess TB2 is also more than enough for me. I have gtx760 already or I can get a newer AMD if it's better. Something like 10x more than i4000 is enough. I doesn't have to be 100x.

I'm just a bit amazed that mac community does not have so much interest on real "bang for a buck" aspect in macs. This might be the same thing than with Fusion drives. It gives you 90% of apple's greasy priced ssd's with way lower price and still most comments are like "all or nothing".

I guess 9to5 never updated those videos with beta drivers with actual non-beta drivers?

10. Crosscreek, Nov 5, 2017

Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

If you have a MacBook Pro with TB3 and the developer Egpu kit with an ADM RX 460-480,RX 560-580 or Vega it will work.
    TB2 does not have enough Pci-e lanes to work.
    You need 4 lanes Pci-e for full acceleration of the cards which TB3 provides.
    Nvidia cards will work but they are not supported by Apple except for the older ones.
    In case of Nvidia you need web drivers from Nvidia.

11. toke lahti macrumors 68000

To have ram slots it would have to be present 21.5", but I'd like to save some money by buying a used one.
    TB2 will have enough bandwidth for my usage.

12. MarkJames68 macrumors 6502

MarkJames68

TB2 definitely works, albeit with a ~20% performance hit over TB3. For all but the most demanding needs this would still be better than say a D300.

13. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

14. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I guess no one watched the,previous video I posted. 1080 Ti with choppy 1080p gaming, on a TB3.

Please, for your own sanity, investigate it thoroughly before plucking down big $$$, only to be disappointed.

15. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Pretty much spot on. They simply don't want the 3 desktops to be the key gear for the Apple user.
    They are the key gear for me. So Apple has become less important then ever for me. My world is more Windows and Linux and my primary usage for pc's is gpu mining of crypto coins. Sad I hot rodded 400 plus mac minis from 2006 to 2012.
    At times I have had the highest geekbench scores for multiple mac minis, but Apple has their own vision of what the world of tech should be and it no longer fits my viewpoint. Sad but I will part from Apple as soon as the three macminis I own die off.

16. MarkJames68 macrumors 6502

MarkJames68

Did you watch the video at 5 minutes? Obviously the driver is crap if there is such a difference between MacOS and Windows performance. It was also not on HS and required the enabler script.

I would only do eGPU with a card fully supported by solid Mac drivers, and MacOS, at this point.

17. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Of course the driver is crap. Nvidia has little incentive to improve the drivers to achieve even mediocre performance. As I said earlier, this is a niche market inside of a niche market.

THEN mix in the Apple side of the equation and we are about a generation away, like I said.

If you decide to do it, I wish you luck. With the prices of video cards, due to miners, the optimal card is a bit more complex than normal.

18. MarkJames68 macrumors 6502

MarkJames68

At least to date, I’m running an RX 580 over TB2 with my nMP just fine in HS. But I’m not gaming on it, that’s what my OC 4790K Windows system is for.

19. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Ahhhh, I'll slink away now. The majority of my ire is directed at Apple trying to preventing gaming on any Macs less than $2k+

Good Luck!

20. jasnw macrumors 6502

I don’t see Apple plusing-up (up-plusing? plus-uping?) the Mini line to try to support the gamer market. At least since OS X 0.0 Apple has given lip service only to that community anyway.

Rather than have these three completely unrelated products in the Mini, iMac, and Pro, Apple needs to rethink/rationalize their whole desktop approach (unless, as we all suspect, they don’t give a smoking poop emoji for the whole non-mobile market). I guess the iMac Pro can be seen as a (bad) step in this direction, but I’m afraid until they fall out of love with the AIO iMac this won’t happen. I would not recommend the bottom-line iMac to anyone, and many (if not most) Pro users are going to need more open access and expandability in the hardware than the iMac Pro will afford. Bad choices on both ends of the iMac line driven by the desire for a one-size-fits-all solution to a complicated market.

Apple: drop the AIO, make beautiful and thin monitors as fits your desires (or not, other vendors can and will fill this niche), and develop a line of headless Mac boxes ranging from appliance-level (a soldered-shut box if you want) to a tower-case Pro. How hard can it be?

21. Crosscreek, Nov 5, 2017

Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Actually Nvida drivers are just fine on my Hackintosh disk in my PC. The problem is running in a Egpu because Apple only optimized AMD cards for Macs.
    Nvida does not work well for Apple programs like FCP and other video editing Apps.

I don't make it to my hack disk very often any more. I have a pair of GTX 1070s running 24/7 mining in Windows 10.

When the electrical costs become too much and I not making a profit anymore I'll go back to gaming and my hack disk otherwise it buys me other toys to play with.

I hope for a new Mac Air next year with the 8th generation quad I5 but I'm afraid it's in the same boat as the Mini.

22. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Oh I think the MacBook Air is even in a worse boat, they will drop it as soon as they can get the entry level MacBook down to $1000. But at least with the Air, there are other Apple laptops you can buy. The Mini is in its own little niche.

23. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

ONLY if it has 128Gig of storage
    — Tim C.

24. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Yeah, your probably right and I will probably not own a real Mac again. MacBook is crap because 1 port is ridiculous and the keyboard is crap on the Pros because Jony had to reinvent the wheel plus the touch bar is useless at added cost.

25. MarkJames68 macrumors 6502

MarkJames68

I hope to get a long life out of my 2015 15” rMBP...agree that the quest for light and thin has gotten ridiculous.