The new Mac mini is almost certainly coming

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by GabrieleR, Dec 7, 2013.

1. toke lahti macrumors 68000

It will be very interesting to see how well the pro community, which I think will want something like MP used to be, will want to pay $5k AIO, with 8-bit display and glossy glass on top of it...

2. jasnw macrumors 6502

Was just thinking that this thread, in a white leather-bound book, would make a great follow-on to that coffee-table book Apple put out last year. I volunteer to throw the first copy through the front doors of the Apple Donuthaus.

3. Miat macrumors 6502

The single port alone is enough to completely rule out me ever buying a Macbook. Two physical ports is the absolute minimum.

Not in the slightest bit interested in a Touch Bar either. Offer it as an optional extra? Fine. But give us the choice.

4. Zarniwoop macrumors 6502a

Touch Bar really costs just couple of bucks for Apple to make. They wanted to use the ARM security enclave chip for something else and this was the outcome. It really could do more, there's a whole computer inside a computer just sitting there waiting someone to use TouchID. I'm sure they'll invent more use for it in the coming years... and my guess is AppleTv.

5. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

The touchbar is an Apple watch, incorporated into a MBP. I think it's more than just a couple bucks.

6. Zarniwoop, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

Zarniwoop macrumors 6502a

I meant the touchBar only, not the chip behind it. What I was trying to say was that Apple was going to put the security enclave chip on Macbook Pro anyway, and they thought what else they could drive with it... so they came up with touchBar. And that is not very expensive add on.

Speaking of Mac Mini, there seem to be pigs flying out in the skies and Intel and AMD creating a chip together... with all potential to be in next Mac Mini.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1200...with-amd-radeon-graphics-with-hbm2-using-emib

As processors are coming more like a lego system, Apple could put their security enclave chip in this EMIB processor too.

"the goal was to add multiple memory blocks as well as data transfer blocks in a mix and match scenario, allowing large customers to have the design tailored to what they require." - Anandtech

"The new product, which will be part of our 8th Gen Intel Core family, brings together our high-performing Intel Core H-series processor, second generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) and a custom-to-Intel third-party discrete graphics chip from AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group* – all in a single processor package." - Intel

That chip has Apple printed all over it. iMac, Macbook Pro and Mac Mini.

7. sublunar macrumors 6502

We'll have to check the motherboards that would be used there but I can't see a 45w CPU being used for the Mac Mini especially one which could cannibalise higher end models. Now, if they decided to make something that wasn't a Mini but could be compatible with a 'Pro' model then perhaps there might be some reason to use it.

This CPU is certainly a perfect fit for a cost reduced entry level 15" MacBook Pro with just 4 cores though. We'll have to see how the AMD GPU arrangement works compared with the old 370X.

8. Zarniwoop macrumors 6502a

The size of AMD GPU was not published, so it could be there are various sizes, from 10CU to above 20. Also, Intel-H chips have various thermal levels.

9. SpacemanSpiffed macrumors member

SpacemanSpiffed

They already have done it before in the current unibody. The 2011 discrete GPU and 2012 quad cores models were 45w. The Power supply and thermals are in line. According to semiaccurate.com this part will be halo part for the 35-45w ranger, and due to the custom packaging, found only in laptops or something with a totally custom (i.e. not socketed) motherboard... Like the mini?

Per: https://wccftech.com/intel-kaby-lak...-radeon-gpus-first-benchmarks-specifications/

aaaah, no point in getting hopes up. I mean Quad-core + decent discrete GPU. Apple wouldn't want that for sure!

10. toke lahti macrumors 68000

https://9to5mac.com/2017/05/10/interview-what-pros-want-apple-modular-mac-pro-display-specs/
    Some nobody called Paul Haddad: "On top of that upgradability is key, I don’t want to have to buy a new $5k machine because Apple decides some new feature requires BT 6.0 and I can’t swap in a $100 replacement card to test it… Personally I’d be super happy if Apple just sold a couple “blessed” motherboards, one that used Dual Xeons and one that could handle any normal Desktop class (1151) processor and stopped trying to make something fit to show at the MoMA…"
    We need to make movement to push this...

11. sublunar macrumors 6502

I think it might have been interesting to see where the 21.5" iMac evolves to once the new integrated Intel CPUs come in next year. Perhaps we could see the base unit getting some sort of variation of a 4 core Kaby Lake i5 mobile CPU (without hyper threading) with integrated AMD GPU rather than just a basic 15w poverty spec unit.

If Apple are going to go retina across the board with the 21.5" unit then I'd suggest that such a spec would have the graphics beef to drive a 4k display.

Objectively, a headless one of those would sell very well even as a sealed unit, but it couldn't be called a Mac mini.

12. DesertSurfer, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

DesertSurfer macrumors 6502a

DesertSurfer

Between the Sonoran Desert and the Pacific Ocean
    With Apple's rumored move into augmented reality, we may be able to see the new mac mini, even if it doesn't actually exist.

13. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

You know, that's kind of interesting; with a properly implemented AR (or VR), would we really need things like monitors, keyboards, and mice? Just display all these items virtually, manipulate them virtually, and all you need in the end is the headset an a box somewhere to drive it.

It'd provide a new market for Apple to produce a mini-like box...

14. MarkJames68 macrumors 6502

MarkJames68

A market where Apple can charge hardware prices for virtual hardware...

15. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

ARMini - Obfuscate the title a little there
    • Choose from a couple base case form factors
    • Choose from a number of port configurations
    • On an AR display, show the results of different benchmarks running on the mini, based on a pick-list of various CPU and GPU combos
    I'm guessing that app would NOT make it to the marketplace. But I'd sure as %^&#@ buy it for $1

16. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Maybe Tim Cook was right? An iPad really can replace our computers! :p

17. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

...and this is how the retina Macbook came to be – first step in preparing us for keyboard that will be displayed virtually on your desk and you'll be banging on it with your fingers.

Second step will be making the desk virtual, so you're typing on Air (starting at $899).

18. toke lahti macrumors 68000

...or even vMac! It's in iCloud and you pay only $49.99/month to use it!

...and you can choose a better gpu for little extra...!

19. masterbaron macrumors regular

masterbaron

not suggesting a hammer and chisel but our design and need for feedback will keep us tethered to an actual keyboard until the human interface emerges. Many have tried virtual keyboards with feedback et al but you see the uprising just by changing the keyboard keys from one engagement technology to another ... tactile feedback is sort of like using the right monitor at the right height and resolution ... paramount for full productivity.

I think we'll be stuck right here until you can "think" that manuscript into the computer with some sort of interface. At that point speed will win out vs tactile feedback and linearity.

20. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

What's the latency on that GPU? Can it run my 1ms response time monitor?

21. toke lahti macrumors 68000

Outch!
    Well, you can't have everything in appleland. "Hardly no-one was playing games in macos. They prefer iOS."

22. Crosscreek, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

So I have been testing out the Lenovo 720 2 in 1 laptop with 8th generation i5-8250U @ 1.6GHz and reporting back on performance of the new quad core chip.
    The first test is Geekbench 4 score which shows solid performance scor for the lowest 15W i5.

geekbench.PNG

While the single core score is low due to being a quad core chip the multi core score is a respectable almost 11k.
    Cnet tested the Yoga 920 with the i7 chip and it hit close to 14K on Geekbench 3.
    https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-yoga-920/review/?ftag=COS-05-10aaa0b&linkId=44376515

The next test I did is Handbrake several 20Gb+ Blue-ray Mkv rips to 1080p Mp4. While I am spoiled by the power of my i7 6700k at 95w the 15w low watt chip did a respectable job at 1.6GHz. Normal compression time with my i7 is around an hour or less where as the i5 took between 2-3 hours. For you that don't know Handbrake is a one of the most punishing things you can do to a processor by requiring 100% use of all cores and threads at full power.

plexhdmon.PNG

As you can see from the hardware monitor all cores and threads running at 100% with very low wattage use and fairly cool processor temperatures.
    I have to say that the new gen 8 i5 and i7 U chips are going to bee a treat for Macs. I have little faith a new Mini refresh will see any of these although one could hope.
    I want to say a little about this well designed Lenovo Yoga 720. This is a very nice machined aluminum 360 degree laptop. It has a wonderful keyboard and track pad and a nice 1080p IPS screen. The only fault I could find is battery life which was around 8hrs with out doing much on it. Hadbreak life was 3hrs...Lol but for normal use it is still ok.
    I'll be taking this one back to Bestbuy next week and waiting to see what AMD come up with with their mobile chips.

23. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

The new Intel+AMD Graphics setup is clearly something Apple wants and it will for sure be used in the MBP. Now we just have to hope and pray Apple wants to make a headless MBP.

24. philipma1957, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

So I get me one of the top of the iPhones along with a high end iMac

1000 + 5000 = 6000. Must be nice to have such loyal fools oh my bad followers:D

or go all out pay 1150 for the better bigger storage version iPhone

and go all out for the iMac
    with a vega 64
    4tb ssd
    128gb ram
    18 core cpu I am guessing the tricked out version is over 8k

and both items together are over 10k once you add in the phone contract.

For 10k I can build all this MVI 0026 - YouTube

and have money left over.

25. Miat, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

Miat macrumors 6502

If you really want to test your CPU with Handbrake, try switching on deblocking. :eek: