Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
I have a friend who writes for a living. On seeing my iPhone, the first thing he did was try to type something on it. He searches (in vain) for something that is portable, easy to use, and will let him write.

-- Mikie

You may want to tell him about Alphasmarts. They are very popular with writers. They are small, instant on, very rugged, and very popular with writers. They are used a lot in the education field as well. Oh and they are very cheap.

A couple of linkys.
http://www.alphasmart.com/Retail/
http://www.enablemart.com/Catalog/QuickPAD-IR-USB

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
two points

1. if necessary, I will sell my iPod Touch for $200, and get this PDA

2. for apple's developing strength, this PDA will be just like iPod TOuch/iPhone. so I expect whatever apps apple developed for iPDA, will be transplanted/hacked to Touch and iPhone.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Sounds fishy.
Sounds plausible.

Most likely this rumor is such mangled info from within apple heard through a billion spouses and best friends.

Apple, without a doubt, mulls over possibilities and plays with hardware. They have a killer idea with iPhone. Why not do something bigger that is for more business oriented function?

OH! Wait, isn't that the Sub/Notebook?

I think they are reinterpreting subnotebook as PDA. The iPhone IS a PDA in most ways, but it would help if there was drawing-writing ability. Or is there?

Apple should make a sub-notebook that is made for drawing-writing, fact gathering, memo-document display and editing. Why not? There is a need for something that isn't a true giganto-notebook computer and relates back to floor models in businesses. They have the tech, they just need to refine it, and market to the right niche.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Perhaps a CellPhone and an iPod, But a Cell Phone, iPod and a PDA is getting too much. I don't think the Apple or the SJRDF can really bring a PDA to the market, and get people running for one.

There is no inherent reason why more functionality is too much. I suspect that under the contract Apple has with ATT, it would have wireless data. ATT also happens to be the most widely deployed Blackberry service provider. It would be trivial for Apple to design and for ATT to deploy those specific functionalities. After all, there's more to server side programming than visual voicemail :)

Rocketman

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
There's no way Apple are going to release ANOTHER product in this category to the market. They have the iPhone, they have the iPod Touch. Another device that is similar, just with some additinal PDA style features and a bigger screen? That's not Apple. They won't even release a 12" Macbook Pro because it's too "confusing" for the customers.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
Apple Tablet Not Nano (ATNN) :)

Rocketman

*cough* iPhone Extreme

I'm going with it being named "iPhone Pro".

i recall a rumor on here from a very long time ago, before all the iPhone stuff, that stated that apple was working on a device just like this and that was being dubbed "The Ultimate"

i personally really hope they don't name it i-something... and i think it would be excellent if they called it (the new) "Newton"

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
I double agree. The reason I bought the iPhone was, being a guy, I cant carry a wallet, ipod and cell phone in my pockets when I go out. I want one device that does everything. What does a PDA do that the iPhone could not do with a little software upgrade?
Well with a PDA you can log on to VPN networks, medical networks. The use of medical specific software. Video and audio format support the ipod does not have even with rockbox. Skype, tv, and Slingbox, and so forth. Granted all of this is on third party software, it nice to know you have the option. Just saying.

G4R2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2006
There is certainly a lot of room for Apple to innovate despite the collapse of the PDA market. This is especially true if a WiMax chip were added to a future Apple product. The iPod Touch and the iPhone are a very decent platform when it comes to viewing content delivered via 802.11g. It may not make much sense in the short term to integrate WiMax into these products simply because the content that is being delivered to these devices doesn't demand a higher speed.

A mobile tablet designed around WiMax on the other hand would almost logically require a larger screen and more powerful processing.

Nokia is actually pursuing this course with their own product line, as can be seen from this story submitted today:

Intel Wins WiMax Contract for Nokia Tablet

If Intel will be supplying WiMax chips for Nokia's tablets, there's no reason these mobile optimized chips won't end up in an Apple product that is designed to take maximum advantage of the higher speeds. This dovetails nicely with the Apple tablet rumor of the day, although in the end it amounts to little more than wishful speculation.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It's not your main editing tool, more a way to get work done during down times, like waiting in lines, for example. I used to use a Treo that way (Yes, I edited Word documents and transferred them back to my laptop or desktop when I got home. I also used a blogging tool where your text went right from the treo to posting. It might not seem ideal, but it's fantastic to be able to get something done in situations where it was previously unthinkable ).

As for iMovie, well, you may have a point there!! Although I recall that spreadsheets to go worked quite well on the Treo also.

Yeah, but you could do that with the iPhone if Apple dropped a iWorks lite app. I've edited with my Treo in a pinch too. All I'm saying is that a Newton type UMPC isn't all that cost effective and certainly isn't a laptop replacement. And the iPhone is more than capable for the tasks you suggest, we just need Apple to ship some software. We don't need a whole new device.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
Agreed

Introducing the second-generation iPhone.

i can't see Apple having the ipod classic, ipod touch, iphone and a pda as 4 different [roughly] same sized handheld devices. and with the way the cell business is going, phones are pda's. one device = everything which seem to be the business model apple has always strived for anyway.

this will be a 2nd gen iphone with the expanded capability. perhaps a 2nd gen ipod touch with the pda capability as well so people who don't want the phone can still get the pda.

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
Time's a wastin...

An apple tablet/pda would be a great addition. They need a version of itunes that handles print media - they already have it for movies/tv/music - what about the billions spent on magazines, books and newspapers. pay a yearly subscription fee and have the latest copy of wired/maxxim/sci american/etc. download to your pda. Same with newspapers etc.

(can I patent this before apple does?)

Yes, you can--you have one year from the date of public disclosure, so get your ass in gear!

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
This is going to suck - another announcement of super-zilla cool product months before its release. Endless days waiting for the damn thing to get to market. More hype, more biblical nicknames (e.g., Moses Tablet, god slate, etc.).

I need to go to Apple rehab. I've got hype overdose.

First stage of rehab around here is to not log onto Macrumors.com

Think about it. You're on a rumour site for goodness sake! Hype? What do you want rumours about? Is 1 day before something is released a good time to start talking about it? :rolleyes:

I don't think we'll have an "iPhone Pro" - holding a 5" slate up to your ear is not the way forward.

wonderkid

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2005
It's for real alright...

The evidence: a) A year or so ago, it was reported that Apple were buying the rights to re-sell a huge number of books. b) The iPhone screen is too small for lengthy reading sessions. c) No company (not even Sony) has yet produced a useable 'eBook' that matches the form factor and intuitive convenience of a typical paperback. d) Apple's multi-touch interface is perfect for navigating 'pages'. Drag across the screen to the right or left to 'turn' the page in the appropriate direction. Want to zoom into a word or illustration? Just spread your fingers apart. Want to look up a word? Hold your finger down on the word and select 'Dictionary' or 'Thesaurus' from the menu. Oh, and where do you get your book from? Well, iTunes of course! £4.99 a pop single user, or £7.99 to share with all those people who you loaned your real paper books to years ago in the tactile age. (I actually designed at conceptual level a device like this years ago for Bitstream Corp, before the Newton was even conceived. But Apple will deliver it. Because they can.) Want to see a Hypercard simulation of my idea? Drop me a line to 'alex.blok AT owonder.com'. (Sadly, only runs on OS9 unless someone has a Hypercard simulator for OSX!)

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Intel Wins WiMax Contract for Nokia Tablet

Here's a snippet:

"Intel said the companies were testing interoperability across Intel's forthcoming WiMax silicon "Baxter Peak" for laptops and mobile Internet devices,"

Oh, and . . .

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/268228/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/269748/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/269748/

As for the ATNN, making it almost twice the volume opens up higher processor speeds and special features.

Rocketman

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Maybe it's the iReader? ... A new business segment, eBooks via iTunes would make it more plausible. As you all know, physical books is the last media distribution yet to be digitized.

Well, there is that Google project ... and Continental Airlines currently has an offer to some Frequent Fliers to buy the Sony reader for 'only' 5,000 miles.

...However it wouldn't hurt to pack in a PowerPoint/Keynote app and video out capabilities. Dang, maybe it's just the iTablet and AppleInsider has the whole project's direction wrong.

I suspect this alligns with the 'super slim' we've been hearing. And with the state of wireless today, it doesn't need to have many physical I/O ports.

This is definitely questionable and very curious...Most corporate road warriors are more than happy with their Blackberries or Treos. They aren't going to want a bigger device.

As a Corporate Blackberry Warrior, I find it a nuisance to get emails on my BB, but I then have to wait until I can get my laptop running and hooked onto our VPN back at the hotel's WIFI in order to download the email a second time so as to make revisions to the PPT that was already sent to me on my BB. I can very much see how a larger screen "phone" would be useful - - and I can use a Bluetooth headset for making calls - - its not a big leap for the cellular relay station to move from my hip to my briefcase. As such, this allows me to 'converge' my BB and Laptop.

The larger screen says, "internet tablet", full screen video and possibly handwritting recognition. There have been internet tablets like this that have flopped in the marketplace.

Yes, which is precisely why this is interesting.

Eaxactly! A Line missing from the original article states:

More broadly characterized as Apple's answer to the ultra-mobile PC, the next-gen device is believed to be tracking for a release sometime in the first half of 2008.

I personnaly would love this. Bigger screen for my sorry eyesight and complete internet capabilities. Yes some do like other options than a phone or an iPod...

Or even a Blackberry - - see my comment above.

An apple tablet/pda would be a great addition. They need a version of itunes that handles print media - they already have it for movies/tv/music ...

Another e-Reader advocate. Now if we could get the FAA to allow us to use them when the aircraft is below 10,000ft :D

A MacBook "convertible" with a physical keyboard that can be used as a laptop or as a tablet is likely a better idea then a true "tablet" with only a virtual keyboard...

...unless Apple can create a 10-12" multitouch screen, in which case a virtual keyboard would be a non-issue since you could type with your fingers and not a stylus. :)

There's no reason not to have both: touch capability for when you're travelling light, and a bluetooth keyboard for when you're more sedentary.

There's been a load of rumours about an ultraslim macbook of late, the thing that tweaked my thought buds is that it probably doesn't have an optical drive of any kind.

So i think most people would view it as an addition to their desktop as opposed to a fully standalone laptop. ie. it needs to sync with a parent computer for your data/updates.

Or better yet, work via secure wireless VPN in realtime back to your home station, to grab the files you need, or to offload computational work to (think 'distributed computing' and XServe).

didn't they buy a print software company ????

maybe this is why wireless printing.............

Not just printing...wireless everything.

All in all, it will be interesting to watch, listen, learn ... and throw shells from the "I don't have an NDA" peanut gallery.

-hh

Stonecoldcleric

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2005
Incedibly stupid

This is incredibly stupid. So if you eleminate all the blackberry/iphone/treo users you find that there are only 4 or 5 PDA-alone users left. Why not spend your time making the iphone 3g, w/video, plus enterprise service? or something like that.

This is a tremendous pile of poo, there is no way that he's gonna revive the newton when noone would buy one.

Demon

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2004
on earth
Now that would be nice. an Apple specific PDA. Palm hasn't been updated for years, and i can't stand windows. But i just hope that the new PDA will have open support from 3rd party softwares. No point in making it so difficult, like the iPhone and even worse, the iPod Touch.

coytoo

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

If dell can't even sell any of these things, if hp can't sell any of these things, if palm can't sell any of these things......the pda died, the iphone/multiuse device lives

I'm seriously considering buying the IPaq 211.

jabu31

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
Yay another device for people to complain about!!!

If we had not had enough whiners complaining about how the iphone is great but it has this wrong with it........

or...............

how the ipod touch is great but it just is not like the iphone and doesn't have enough memory....

well...........

Now we can have complainers saying the apple newton 2 is super but its just not anything like the ipod touch or the iphone....waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!

I got an idea why dont you duct tape all 3 devices together and you'll get everything you want.:D

steveh

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2002
The PDA is merely new functionality that will be added to the iPod and iPhone. Why on earth would you want a stand alone PDA without iPod or phone?

Because some of us really do not want an all-singing, all-dancing gadget. If nothing else, avoiding the single point of failure problem is a Good Thing(tm).

I spend a lot of waiting time reading eBooks; and a phone with a display big enought to be good at that would be too big to be convenient, and vice versa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.