Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I'll try to keep it short : can't use personal mbp for too long (machines have to be formatted for VPN etc), and most importantly I just started there (a bit less than a month ago) and this would hit my productivity big time : I'm a developer, I'd have to relearn most of the things I know and use new softwares. I'd say 2 to 3 months to get up to speed on either Windows or Linux.
But I'm planning to work more and more on linux so I can switch next time.

It's better I think ? it can encode x265 why the skylake can't. On the cinebench on the link posted above it seems to be doing slightly better ?
We had a guy using Linux at work and he was a pain to work with. He always need help because something on his machine was always broken as a result of his using Linux. I'd only recommend Linux if you are doing Dev Ops.

Reactions: myscrnnm

jeffg819

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2006
Oh, you live in Europe, great, we can talk Euros then. You want it let's have it :)

I maxed out and ordered the 13", with 16GB ram, best processor, 1TB SSD. And then there is the ****ton of adapters and YES, do not tell me they don't count there is literally about nothing running TB3 right now so it's needed : 2 power extension cords, 1 extra charger charger (because I can't use my dock at work, yeepee), one USB-C to usb-A for portability, one gigabit ethernet adapter, one TB3 to lightning because you know, I like to plus my ****ING IPHONE LATEST GEN, 2 adapters TB3 to HDMI (very expensive, about 90 euros EACH here in Norway).

Cost : 34801 NOK, which is 3830 Euros ( and actually more, it's just that the kroner is very low. At its previous level it would have been 4200/4300 euros, but let's ignore that for a moment ).

Maxed out Razer Stealth Blade, which has :
- Kaby Lake because yes, it's possible.
- 16GB LPDDR3 ( same as MBP )
- SSD 1 TB
- Same thin factor
- A goddamn 4k screen while mbp has the same resolution as before.
- ALL THE PORTS YOU NEED.
- 150 grams heavier (oooh, my back won't tolerate it !!)
- possibility for Razer Core.
- no idea about the battery (and before you say it, we have no idea about the battery in the maxed out MBP13 by the way, but for sure it won't be "10 hours".

Total = 2000 euros

So 1830 euros less, but with better screen and better portability (no stupid dongles).
How, and you can put a Razer Core on it, if you like to game. And even with the most ridiculous, most expensive Graphic card, at 800 euros, it WILL STILL BE. MUCH. CHEAPER.

Enjoy!

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
I'll try to keep it short : can't use personal mbp for too long (machines have to be formatted for VPN etc), and most importantly I just started there (a bit less than a month ago) and this would hit my productivity big time : I'm a developer, I'd have to relearn most of the things I know and use new softwares. I'd say 2 to 3 months to get up to speed on either Windows or Linux.
But I'm planning to work more and more on linux so I can switch next time.

It's better I think ? it can encode x265 why the skylake can't. On the cinebench on the link posted above it seems to be doing slightly better ?

It's very far from 'better'.

jeffg819

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2006
My point is quite obvious. This price hike with so many important features taken out is not justified and hence should be criticized.

So you have intimate knowledge of the component pricing for the machines? If not, you're just speculating. Only Apple knows what the total package cost to produce.

You may be right or you may simply be disappointed without cause.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Oh, you live in Europe, great, we can talk Euros then. You want it let's have it :)

I maxed out and ordered the 13", with 16GB ram, best processor, 1TB SSD. And then there is the ****ton of adapters and YES, do not tell me they don't count there is literally about nothing running TB3 right now so it's needed : 2 power extension cords, 1 extra charger charger (because I can't use my dock at work, yeepee), one USB-C to usb-A for portability, one gigabit ethernet adapter, one TB3 to lightning because you know, I like to plus my ****ING IPHONE LATEST GEN, 2 adapters TB3 to HDMI (very expensive, about 90 euros EACH here in Norway).

Cost : 34801 NOK, which is 3830 Euros ( and actually more, it's just that the kroner is very low. At its previous level it would have been 4200/4300 euros, but let's ignore that for a moment ).

Maxed out Razer Stealth Blade, which has :
- Kaby Lake because yes, it's possible.
- 16GB LPDDR3 ( same as MBP )
- SSD 1 TB
- Same thin factor
- A goddamn 4k screen while mbp has the same resolution as before.
- ALL THE PORTS YOU NEED.
- 150 grams heavier (oooh, my back won't tolerate it !!)
- possibility for Razer Core.
- no idea about the battery (and before you say it, we have no idea about the battery in the maxed out MBP13 by the way, but for sure it won't be "10 hours".

Total = 2000 euros

So 1830 euros less, but with better screen and better portability (no stupid dongles).
How, and you can put a Razer Core on it, if you like to game. And even with the most ridiculous, most expensive Graphic card, at 800 euros, it WILL STILL BE. MUCH. CHEAPER.
First time I see this machine, and I have to admit it looks really fine! The day I feel like going back to Windows this one will certainly be part of the shortlist.

EDIT: Just had a brief look at the reviews of the Razer Blade Stealth on Amazon. Does not look encouraging at all.

Last edited:

SVTM

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2016
Why does this upset you so much? Skip the threads.

Skip the threads? For every sensible thread there are 5 nonsensical ranting threads, and even in that one sensible thread someone will come in and start an off topic rant. The OP is right, it has gotten out of control and it is somewhat embarrassing to be apart of a community with so many whiney little children.

hj576

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
I was going to say...you must be new here. Whining is all some members do. You think you'll get them to stop now? I applaud your determination.
Considering how I have been spending all my free time here on this forum (I never knew a forum could be soo poisonous yet so addictive ), I might just accomplish that :p

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
I agree with your sentiment....the complaining is out of control. Dongles is the most blown out of context issue I've ever encountered....people need to do some research and figure out you probably won't need any for most things. People are complaining about cost. The TouchBar model added a $300 premium over previous price levels. Sure I don't want to pay an extra $300 but if you can actually afford a 3-4K laptop then you should be able to get over $300. If $300 is a make or break number you shouldn't be buying laptops in this price range anyways.

crassapple

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016
And then there are bunch of people posting about how they cancelled their orders or returned their Macbook Pro. The similarity in all of them, they have a recent MBPr or rMB(mostly 2015 model) , which is working perfectly for them, yet they ordered a new one, once they get it they realize they dont need it because they already have a perfectly functional machine. And then they return it and complaint about the new Macbook Pro. People saying they returned it because it lacked ports, How can you not know that before buying the machine.....

Those people who actually needed a new machine seem to be happy with their purchase, while those who did not need it or do not intend to buy it are complaining non stop

I've definitely noticed that too. I think a lot of people on this forum are gadget nerds/ keeping-up-with-the-Joneses types that have to buy whatever the newest shiny thing is. Now the newest shiny thing isn't exactly what they thought apple would make for them and we get the incessant whining. It's funny because macs are great computers that last a long time; I'm on a 2008 and I still use it professionally (engineering), but many of these whiners probably do little more than online/office type stuff.

ihatetoregister

Suspended
Sep 13, 2016
Oslo, Norway
We had a guy using Linux at work and he was a pain to work with. He always need help because something on his machine was always broken as a result of his using Linux. I'd only recommend Linux if you are doing Dev Ops.

Ditto. That's what I remember too from my experience.
That was from a while ago though, maybe things have changed on latest Ubuntu / Mint ?

It's very far from 'better'.

Meaning what, it's worse ? The bench show it's better (and the encode I mention is native), what else do you need ?

First time I see this machine, and I have to admit it looks really fine! The day I feel like going back to Windows this one will certainly be part of the shortlist.

EDIT: Just had a brief look at the reviews of the Razer Blade Stealth on Amazon. Does not look encouraging at all.
I don't know about Amazon (usually careful about those) but it's pretty good on the top 3 Google results :
http://uk.pcmag.com/new-razer-blade-stealth-late-2016
https://www.cnet.com/products/razer-blade-stealth-late-2016/review/
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/razer-blade-stealth-2016
Be careful to not mix it with the PREVIOUS Blade Stealth (not Kaby lake, slower RAM etc) !

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Ditto. That's what I remember too from my experience.
That was from a while ago though, maybe things have changed on latest Ubuntu / Mint ?

Meaning what, it's worse ? The bench show it's better (and the encode I mention is native), what else do you need ?

I don't know about Amazon (usually careful about those) but it's pretty good on the top 3 Google results :
http://uk.pcmag.com/new-razer-blade-stealth-late-2016
https://www.cnet.com/products/razer-blade-stealth-late-2016/review/
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/razer-blade-stealth-2016
Be careful to not mix it with the PREVIOUS Blade Stealth (not Kaby lake, slower RAM etc) !

I have more trust in user reviews than the magazine etc. reviews which don't tell you anything about durability and might be influenced by sponsorship.
Have a look here:
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Stealt...478591825&sr=8-4&keywords=razer+blade+stealth

ihatetoregister

Suspended
Sep 13, 2016
Oslo, Norway
I have more trust in user reviews than the magazine etc. reviews which don't tell you anything about durability and might be influenced by sponsorship.
Have a look here:
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Stealt...478591825&sr=8-4&keywords=razer+blade+stealth

Good thing I said be careful to look at the LATE Blade Stealth, not the early one :rolleyes:
Those are for the previous iteration. Unless they somehow got a machine that allowed them to travel in the future at the time they wrote those reviews.
As for "paid" reviews from magazines, that's why you always take at least 3 reviews from different magazines.
You can look at more in the Google results, the feedback seems very good to me.

(it's probably not the only great Ultrabook btw, it's just that this one caught my eye, because I could also repace gaming PC)

Last edited:

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
if they need or like OS X, they don't have another choice than buying from Apple.

Clever boy! That's also why windows is dominating in market share but not in quality of experience (same goes with android). It's history now, but Apple is very strict with keeping HW & SW tied up. That's why I can keep my iPhone updated - while 99.9% other smartphones have android as a single-use system with updates virtually impossible and nobody cares about it.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Skip the threads? For every sensible thread there are 5 nonsensical ranting threads, and even in that one sensible thread someone will come in and start an off topic rant. The OP is right, it has gotten out of control and it is somewhat embarrassing to be apart of a community with so many whiney little children.

If there are 5 unhappy threads for every happy thread, have you ever considered that its not everyone else that is wrong, it is you ? Many people are NOT happy and unlike the OP, many of us have been Apple customers for years and been members here for years.

ihatetoregister

Suspended
Sep 13, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Yeah we get back to the main point : Maybe people wouldn't be complaining if there wasn't so much to complain about.

Kaby Lake + 16GB RAM and no price update would have been fine, even with the stupid dongles and lack of mag safe and low bandwidth TB3 on 13".
Or maybe the outdated Skylake and 8GB, but without the dongle hell (so, with all the ports necessary and 2TB3) and the price remaining the same.
Or, for the 15", a goddamn valid GFX card. And a 4k screen.

Instead, you have all of those terrible specs and design choices - and more than I've read but don't know about, i.e. the keyboard which will be a surprise for me I guess - for literally no advantages whatsoever, apart MAYBE the TouchBar.
And that's a big maybe.
And Meanwhile in the PC world you get way more powerful machines, without need for dongles, for 60% of the price of this new MBP.

So yeah there is a reason that people here, on social networks, on specialized sites, are all unhappy. That's because it was a ****** release. Maybe it's time to stop complaining about the complaining ;)

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Good thing I said be careful to look at the LATE Blade Stealth, not the early one :rolleyes:
Those are for the previous iteration. Unless they somehow got a machine that allowed them to travel in the future at the time they wrote those reviews.
As for "paid" reviews from magazines, that's why you always take at least 3 reviews from different magazines.
You can look at more in the Google results, the feedback seems very good to me.

(it's probably not the only great Ultrabook btw, it's just that this one caught my eye, because I could also repace gaming PC)
My bad... here is the right one:
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Blade-...T4EVB3F1MZEVHMJ80&ie=UTF8&qid=1478605388&sr=1

But in any case the comments on build quality and customer service are not very reassuring, it's not a 400 Euro laptop either.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Personally, I would be SO happy if I could virtualize OSX on a PC. Even with the overhead, that would be worth it.
People do that all the time, I have done that in the past. Performance was horrid, wasn't worth it to me. Check out the hackintosh sites, there's guides in how to run OS X virtually.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
better GPU in 15inch, better form factor

Correction - weak GPU choice, better than a 2-3 generation old GPU but that AMD weakling GPU can't hold a candle to Nvidia's Pascal offerings. And THINNER form factor, its not necessarily better.

The could have put in a much more powerful GPU, offered 32GB of RAM, and a keyboard with proper key travel, included more ports - if it wasn't for this obsession with thinness and a bigger battery to compensate for the less energy efficient RAM choice - so what if it weights a lb more - it would still be relatively thin, light, but truly a PRO machine.

They should just rename it to the MBPT MacBook ProThin!

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
you can't please all of the people all of the time, there will always be a group of people who will moan and bitch about something, it happens with new phones, tablets, computers, smart watches and so on. Apple generally don't do something just because someone is demanding it, take for example the touch screen idea, Apple have said a number of times why they won't do a touch screen Mac (it's a very bad idea) but people just won't accept it, and so they moan about it and so on.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
The reason why few people get excited about these spec bumps is simple: They make very little difference in practice, simply because the previous generation was already very good.

Funny because all i've read all year is how the 2015 model doesn't even count as a new machine and they haven't updated the MacBook Pro for "like 5 years" because it came with the same design...then they change design and suddenly the old design is just fine...they can't win...

Actually the criticism is very widespread. E.g. you can find dozens of links with the same complaints here:

Yeah but this forum is the actual pits for negativity, long before the MacBook Pro - it's beyond ridiculous at times.
Has it ever crossed your mind that the lack of ports that are usable in the real world *is* a "real problem" for some people?

Last not least, since you wrote that this is your first Apple computer: Please realize that many people who are complaining here aren't "haters" or "whiners", but long-time fans of the Mac and OS X. That's precisely why they are so disappointed.

This is my 6th MacBook Pro in a decade and it's the one i'm most excited to receive by far. I can't wait to ditch the type A connection on my mobile devices for ever, hideous connector. It's cost me all of £20 to upgrade all my cables to USB-C, and yes I said upgrade, because now I can connect all my devices to my computer with the plug either way round! That alone was worth the tiny upgrade price. No hubs, no dongles needed.
[doublepost=1478607787][/doublepost]
Maybe people wouldn't whine so much if they had kept ONE USB port (what's so hard about that?!), and magsafe.

It's got 4 USB ports - thats two more than any MacBook Pro i've ever owned before.

And to be honest i'm glad to not be tied to Apples proprietary charging port anymore, with cables that continually broke and a magsafe connector that fell out more times when I didn't want it to than when I did. If you want MagSafe there are soon to be loads of USB-C magsafe clones filling the market. The chance to use one of Ankers fantastic Powerline+ Kevlar cables that will never break to charge my laptop is a bit step up though.

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
I don't care about the ports. I even like that Apple is giving me the choice to use whatever i want.
I whine because they didn't use the high end CPU 's available for MBP 15 (6770hq, 6780hq) and they are offering a worse cpu than the previous model (6700hq) , with worse igpu for 500€ more.

dmillar74

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2011
Livonia, Michigan
I really like the 13 inch MacBook Pro. I don't mind having to have an extra dongle or two if the battery life can be extended and it's lightweight and thin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.