Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
The screen is the primary interface between the user and the device. It should be made as good as possible on all of our devices. We basically have Apple to thank for dragging us out of the doldrums of the race-to-the-bottom the PC manufacturers were engaged in for years to see who could fit the worst screen to the most expensive laptop (see mid-to-late 2000's Thinkpads with prices well north of $2000 and barely functional TN screens.)

And no, you don't need a dongle to connect your external monitor. You need a cable. Just like before.

Well....... We watch 1080p on a 65" TV and are fine with it.. I agree at least a 1080p screen is required on a laptop but more than that is really not needed IMHO...

Apple does have nice, scratch that, gorgeous screens but there was nothing wrong with last years screen either. Now for those who use the computer outdoors and in the middle of the desert on a bright and sunny day, the added brightness will be a nice bonus..

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Again comparing a maxed out 13" against a Kaby lake like the one in the Razer Stealth Blade. Bench are better or equal, 2 times less power consumption.

That's a 15W chip without Iris graphics. It's not the part that Apple uses in their high-end MBP's. Benchmarks are moderately improved, as they are every year, but the point of the higher TDP Apple uses is that it can sustain that power for a longer period of time. Apple isn't going to sacrifice their design goals merely to mark a checkbox on their spec sheet.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
The screen is the primary interface between the user and the device. It should be made as good as possible on all of our devices. We basically have Apple to thank for dragging us out of the doldrums of the race-to-the-bottom the PC manufacturers were engaged in for years to see who could fit the worst screen to the most expensive laptop (see mid-to-late 2000's Thinkpads with prices well north of $2000 and barely functional TN screens.)

And no, you don't need a dongle to connect your external monitor. You need a cable. Just like before.

Okay, my bad on the dongle, but I disagree with you about the screen. When I connect my MB Pro to my large monitor to do any kind of serious image/video editing, the lid is shut and I am working just off of the monitor. The little screen on the BM Pro can never be a substitute for a large monitor.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I won't be "whining" about the new MacBook Pro's.

After examining both the 2016 and 2015 models side-by-side, I've made my choice:
I'll take one of the 13" 2015 models at the lower price and with more ports, thank you very much.

I like having the old ports (yes, I realize that may be "looking backward", but I don't care). And.... NO dongles!

I like the old keyboard -- better feel to my [old] hands.

I can live with the older display. It's far FAR superior to the display I'm used to on my 2010 MBPro.
And one other thing I noticed when the two models are viewed side-by-side: for some reason, the text on the menu bar on the 2015 seems "larger" than the text on the 2016 (even with resolutions set the same). Easier on my old eyes.

I can live with the older CPU -- benchmarks roughly equal to the CPU on the new non-touchbar MacBook (which would have been the one I bought).

Am I buying "last year's technology?"
Of course.
For a considerably lower price.

enzoshadow

macrumors member
May 30, 2008
Okay, my bad on the dongle, but I disagree with you about the screen. When I connect my MB Pro to my large monitor to do any kind of serious image/video editing, the lid is shut and I am working just off of the monitor. The little screen on the BM Pro can never be a substitute for a large monitor.
You are dismissing the primary function of a laptop and used it as desktop, and then use it as your argument. LOL ok

Reactions: hj576

hj576

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
Frankly, I wouldn't give a crap.
And we all know apple makes products just to please you.
Seriously Admit it, majority of the people in the world would be making fun of apple if they did not change the form factor. 90% people complaining here would be complaining about how apple has not innovated the Macbook Pro in over 4 years.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Seriously Admit it, majority of the people in the world would be making fun of apple if they did not change the form factor. 90% people complaining here would be complaining about how apple has not innovated the Macbook Pro in over 4 years.

I would be less annoyed with a spec bump on the old form factor than I am with the new offering. In truth a compromise should have been struck though. A little bit smaller than the old one - not alot. A few less port options, not only 1 port option. Couldn't care either way about touch bar. All they had to do was iterate it instead they are trying to re-invent the wheel when nobody asked them to

Reactions: mrex and raqball

hj576

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
I would be less annoyed with a spec bump on the old form factor than I am with the new offering. In truth a compromise should have been struck though. A little bit smaller than the old one - not alot. A few less port options, not only 1 port option. Couldn't care either way about touch bar. All they had to do was iterate it instead they are trying to re-invent the wheel when nobody asked them to
As i stated somewhere before, I am sure they did their market survey, and as much people here want 32GB RAM and SD card reader, I am quite sure there is a bigger number of people (specially students) who would have wanted a more portable machine
At the end of the day, apple would have opted for the bigger audience

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
That "one port option" literally gives you the ability to adapt to any port you've been using.

I don't understand why people can spend $2000+ on a computer, but buying one dongle to just keep on the end of your existing peripheral's cable is a bridge too far.

hj576

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
I would be less annoyed with a spec bump on the old form factor
And again you speak for yourself, I am happier with a smaller form factor. I travel on a cycle here and I would rather have half a pound less on my back when going to work/university.
And the problem with not changing the form factor is, people would have start talking about how stale Apple has gotten

Though I agree, a compromise should be made, I would have loved to have an SD card reader on the laptop.

ihatetoregister

Suspended
Sep 13, 2016
Oslo, Norway
That's a 15W chip without Iris graphics. It's not the part that Apple uses in their high-end MBP's. Benchmarks are moderately improved, as they are every year, but the point of the higher TDP Apple uses is that it can sustain that power for a longer period of time. Apple isn't going to sacrifice their design goals merely to mark a checkbox on their spec sheet.

...what the hell are you trying to say ? :)

Reactions: raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016

Obviously they didn't make a product that pleases many.. Look at the outrage here and elsewhere... Actually it's everywhere! Happy people are in the minority and that's a problem for Apple..

As i stated somewhere before, I am sure they did their market survey, and as much people here want 32GB RAM and SD card reader, I am quite sure there is a bigger number of people (specially students) who would have wanted a more portable machine

I sure hope they didn't do any surveys if this is what they came up with.. I mean who in the heck did they survey? People at a Starbucks?

I don't recall hearing people complain about the weight of the previous rMBP... Maybe they did and I missed it but I don't think so..

hj576

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
Obviously they didn't make a product that pleases many.. Look at the outrage here and elsewhere... Actually it's everywhere! Happy people are in the minority and that's a problem for Apple..

I sure hope they didn't do any surveys if this is what they came up with.. I mean who in the heck did they survey? People at a Starbucks?

I don't recall hearing people complain about the weight of the previous rMBP... Maybe they did and I missed it but I don't think so..

Never knew the whole World was active on this forum.
They have had the highest pre order till date, the shipments are being pushed back meaning their is more demand than supply at the moment. It seems like they are selling the laptops quite nicely.

So i am sure its not the majority that has issue, its just active people on forums which makes up what percentage of their market?

Reactions: HenryDJP and SVTM

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Never knew the whole World was active on this forum.
They have had the highest pre order till date, the shipments are being pushed back meaning their is more demand than supply at the moment. It seems like they are selling the laptops quite nicely.

So i am sure its not the majority that has issue, its just active people on forums which makes up what percentage of their market?

And you think that is representative? LOL

Pre-orders = Hardcore fan that will buy anything and at any price from Apple and people who are locked into Apple and grudgingly purchased after waiting for years...

If the demand is so high then why does my local Apple store have plenty of stock?

6 months from now we will see how well it's done and I bet it won't be stellar...

SVTM

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2016
If there are 5 unhappy threads for every happy thread, have you ever considered that its not everyone else that is wrong, it is you ? Many people are NOT happy and unlike the OP, many of us have been Apple customers for years and been members here for years.

Have you ever considered its not about being right or wrong? Its about your own personal needs and preferences. If you would like to voice your displeasure with the new Macs you can do so in a few threads, not highjack the entire forum with whining. I hate iPhones with a passion, do you see me in the iPhone section of this forum throwing fits about them? No. Why? Because I am an adult and I realize some people enjoy iPhone features even if I feel they are lacking features. Also just because people claim to have been "Apple customers for years" doesn't mean they are entitled to whine about products more than anyone else. You bought past electronics from a company, congratulations so have millions of other people, now buy more of them or move on.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
And you think that is representative? LOL

Pre-orders = Hardcore fan that will buy anything and at any price from Apple and people who are locked into Apple and grudgingly purchased after waiting for years...

If the demand is so high then why does my local Apple store have plenty of stock?

6 months from now we will see how well it's done and I bet it won't be stellar...
And if they are selling well? What is going to be the insult lobbed at that point? "Sheeple"?

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
And if they are selling well? What is going to be the insult lobbed at that point? "Sheeple"?

Nope.. I am an Apple fan myself just not into getting robbed and ripped off.. I don't mind paying the Apple tax but this year and with these machines it's went to far..

If people find value in these new machines then good for them...

If they are flying off the shelves then why-o-why does my Apple store have plenty of 13" base models in stock and ready for pickup today?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Nope.. I am an Apple fan myself just not into getting robbed and ripped off.. If people find value in these new machines then good for them...

If they are flying off the shelves then why-o-why does my Apple store have plenty of 13" base models in stock and ready for pickup today?
Who said anything about "flying off the shelves"? Are you discussing the touchbar-less model? Are you aware of how inventory is stockpiled in the weeks leading up to the holiday season? Are you determining that your one location located somewhere though the supply chain is the model for all stores?

Come on man.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
^^^ LOL

Reading comprehension....

No seriously, where did Apple write that they were "flying off the shelves"? As far as I'm aware, and I haven't been paying attention all that much, the Touch Bar models are still trickling out to users which led me to believe your referencing the model without. Is that the case? I haven't read this entire page so I'm not sure where I jumped in your line of thinking.

Again, can you point out your inventory management expertise? Why-o-why would a company have supplies of a new product right before the US holiday season goes into it's normal frenzy? Man that's a tough one to figure out....

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Read the thread..... Apple didn't the people in this thread are inferring that....

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012

I've never, ever heard of Apple market surveying any of their products. If you know of any evidence of this I'd be curious to see the links.

That "one port option" literally gives you the ability to adapt to any port you've been using.

I don't understand why people can spend $2000+ on a computer, but buying one dongle to just keep on the end of your existing peripheral's cable is a bridge too far.

a) I can't afford to buy the new MBP at the inflated price (well I could - but I don't consider the price justified so I wouldn't buy it)
b) Dongles are expensive. I object to having to spend €200 extra on dongles on top of the machines cost. But clearly money is no object for some people around here such as yourself.

Have you ever considered its not about being right or wrong? Its about your own personal needs and preferences. If you would like to voice your displeasure with the new Macs you can do so in a few threads, not highjack the entire forum with whining. I hate iPhones with a passion, do you see me in the iPhone section of this forum throwing fits about them? No. Why? Because I am an adult and I realize some people enjoy iPhone features even if I feel they are lacking features. Also just because people claim to have been "Apple customers for years" doesn't mean they are entitled to whine about products more than anyone else. You bought past electronics from a company, congratulations so have millions of other people, now buy more of them or move on.

a) You are the one whining here friend, and b) don't tell me what to do.

If you don't like negative threads don't click into them -> simple! As to being an Apple customer for years - I have software licenses - in some cases expensive - built up for the OsX version of the software - not windows - and they don't transfer. Although I have no option but to change to windows cause I need > 16GB RAM in a laptop - it will cost me money to do so in terms of getting new software licences. So yeah - being an Apple customer for years is justification to be unhappy that the new products don't meet my needs. I also suspect Apple monitor such fora as this for customer opinions - so I see value in voicing my complaints here.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Read the thread..... Apple didn't the people in this thread are inferring that....
So you set up your own useless hypothetical with "If they are flying off the shelves then why-o-why does my Apple store have plenty of 13" base models in stock and ready for pickup today?" just to wax poetic.

How gracious of you to argue with yourself, I'll let you two get back to it.
[doublepost=1478625790][/doublepost]
a) I can't afford to buy the new MBP at the inflated price (well I could - but I don't consider the price justified so I wouldn't buy it)
b) Dongles are expensive. I object to having to spend €200 extra on dongles on top of the machines cost. But clearly money is no object for some people around here such as yourself.
You're right, I save up for a few months when I'm planning on making a purchase so I have the funds available. Is there something wrong with your current rig that you need the new machine today?

One hub costs less than $80, do none of them suite your needs?

Reactions: hj576

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I don't know if I should shake my head or laugh?

You lack reading comprehension and are making yourself look a little silly.. Some people don't know when to stop digging the hole but it is fun to read... Comic relief on election day --> Thanks!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I don't know if I should shake me head or laugh?

You lack reading comprehension and are making yourself look a little silly.. Some people don't know when to stop digging the hole but it is fun to read...

I think I've read it fine, you first made a statement about machines not flying off the shelves, to which when questioned you said people here are inferring that statement. So why are you arguing based on inferences made on the internet and now just trying to degrade my reading ability when I'm not the one that based my argument off of statements that were never made?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.