Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I go poopie. It was good.

doofy-8.jpg

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
If you dislike a company so much that you would disrespect their CEO by calling him, "Idiot of the Year" and its fans "apple apologists", why do you buy their products?

The point everyone keeps avoiding is why they don't just return the phone if it's such a big issue. Apple whiners are worse than apple haters. At least haters don't buy apple products and are generally not on the boards. The whiners buy everything and complain about everything.

Being fans doesnt mean we should just ignore their mistakes, or they wont bother to fix them.

If a baseball team with a .200 win percentage sold out every game, why would they bother spending money to get better players?

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
No signal only in low signal areas. With a really strong signal, there is no way to drop below five bars. Microcell users cannot reproduce this "issue".

If you are shorting the antenna, how would you explain that? Wouldn't shorting it cause it not to function at all?

If you are getting no signal, do you not believe the rational thing to do would be to return the phone?

I have a Microcell and lose my signal.

The rational thing to do would be to exchange the phone. That doesn't seem to help and apple isn't allowing it anymore.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
If you dislike a company so much that you would disrespect their CEO by calling him, "Idiot of the Year" and its fans "apple apologists", why do you buy their products?

The point everyone keeps avoiding is why they don't just return the phone if it's such a big issue. Apple whiners are worse than apple haters. At least haters don't buy apple products and are generally not on the boards. The whiners buy everything and complain about everything.

Well I can't speak for others - and my issue is masked by the fact that I have a case on my i4. But it comes down to what is acceptable or not.

For me - I can "live" with the issue. I use the phone MAYBE 10 percent as an actual phone.

But that doesn't excuse the fact that there's an issue with it. It's just not enough for me to consider NOT using it.

I would prefer to know and use a phone that is 100 percent "spec" - as I am sure others would too.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
And this folks is why Steve Jobs is arrogant and does nothing to fix the problems. I wouldnt fix a problem either when I have a million people defending me like idiots! Why are people satisfied with a crippled iPhone and making excuses why its not a problem?

Because it's not crippled to me and not a problem to me. Instead of everyone trying to pick apart my facts, why not see the point I was making. All phones have signal problems when held a certain way. iPhone 4 is worse, and let's not debate about how much worse. The company states it is not an issue and, I could be wrong, do not intend to fix it.

I'm not asking anyone to be satisfied with a crippled phone. I'm saying the logical thing to do would be to just return the phone if you are unhappy.

Because no one wants to let go of their precious iPhone, suddenly I'm the biggest idiot in the world. Who's the fanboy now?

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
Because it's not crippled to me and not a problem to me. Instead of everyone trying to pick apart my facts, why not see the point I was making. All phones have signal problems when held a certain way. iPhone 4 is worse, and let's not debate about how much worse. The company states it is not an issue and, I could be wrong, do not intend to fix it.

I'm not asking anyone to be satisfied with a crippled phone. I'm saying the logical thing to do would be to just return the phone if you are unhappy.

Because no one wants to let go of their precious iPhone, suddenly I'm the biggest idiot in the year. Who's the fanboy now?

Put down the Kool-aid buddy, not all phones have signal problems when held a certain way, the iphone 4 is the first phone i have ever heard of that has this problem!

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Put down the Kool-aid buddy, not all phones have signal problems when held a certain way, the iphone 4 is the first phone i have ever heard of that has this problem!

Who's drinking the Kool-aid, me or you? If you are unhappy, return it. You're the one not willing to let go of a phone you think is defective (that you paid hundreds of dollars for) and I'm drinking the Kool-aid?

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
Why the ******* can't everyone drop it with the reception problem? If it really affects you that much, then freakin' return it or don't buy one! How many people are cupping the whole bottom of their phone to hold it anyway?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Because it's not crippled to me and not a problem to me. Instead of everyone trying to pick apart my facts, why not see the point I was making.

Because you didn't state your opinion as your opinion. You stated (what has already been stated several times in other threads) "facts." Facts that are not accurate.

If you had posted on one of the other threads instead of creating a new one to say "hey - my phone isn't crippled" or "I'm not having a reception issue at all" then you'd be met with a different response.

Are you REALLY surprised at the response based on your thread topic and first post? Or are you playing the victim now?

ETA "Why the ******* can't everyone drop it with the reception problem? If it really affects you that much, then freakin' return it or don't buy one! How many people are cupping the whole bottom of their phone to hold it anyway?"

If everyone posting about the problem affects you that much - then "freakin'" don't read the threads.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Why the ******* can't everyone drop it with the reception problem? If it really affects you that much, then freakin' return it or don't buy one! How many people are cupping the whole bottom of their phone to hold it anyway?

Exactly!

But the moment you mention returning it, people get defensive/insulting or use restocking fee as an excuse. Then they call you a fanboy when they're the ones so attached to the phone.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
Who's drinking the Kool-aid, me or you? If you are unhappy, return it. You're the one not willing to let go of a phone you think is defective (that you paid hundreds of dollars for) and I'm drinking the Kool-aid?

I dont even have a phone, it hasnt shipped yet. Im simply pointing out that if people want a replacement phone because they cant hold it a certain way then they should be able to get one, because the way you hold your phone is a tough habit to break, and if your going to pay hundreds of dollars for a premium device you should be able to hold it in a reasonable manner, and it is extremely arrogant for Apple to say you cant use your left hand.

Its not cupping the bottom, putting your finger over the antenna on the bottom left corner causes the problem (for some people)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Exactly!

But the moment you mention returning it, people get defensive/insulting or use restocking fee as an excuse. Then they call you a fanboy when they're the ones so attached to the phone.

Ah - so you are playing the role of the victim now. I guess the role of radical thought leader didn't pan out for you...

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007

Why return it?

This way they feel like they can just mindlessly bash Apple for 12-24 months for their $200. Cell service be damned, it is more important to go crazy on some faceless company!

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
1. Every phone with an internal antenna will experience signal loss when held.

2. Every phone is legally required to put their antenna on the bottom of the phone because of laws concerning radiation. Therefore, cupping the bottom of any phone IS NOT the right way to hold it, regardless of how natural it feels.

3. Does the iPhone 4 experience MORE signal loss than other phones when held in this manner? According to Anandtech, definitely more than the 3GS and Nexus One. But since there is no set standard on how much signal loss is acceptable and no laws regarding this, it is NOT an issue legally and therefore, Apple is not legally required to fix it (they can if they want to).

4. The phone DOES NOT drop calls regardless of how you hold it if you have a strong enough signal.

5. Does this make the iPhone 4 a poor phone for making calls? If you prefer to hold the phone this way, then yes. However, it is not defective, only poor and companies are legally allowed to release poor products. If you are dissatisfied, please return the phone and get another one.

6. But my store has a restocking fee! Then it is your mistake for buying it on launch day. Most people wouldn't think about buying anything else (phones, computers, TVs, cars, etc.) wouldn't first reading a few reviews but for Apple products, they get sucked in by the mania. That's nobody's fault but your own.

You need to mind you own business. Why you made a separate post for this is beyond me. $100 say you don't even own an iphone 4, so back off. Until the provide us with a link supporting all your assertions.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
I dont even have a phone, it hasnt shipped yet. Im simply pointing out that if people want a replacement phone because they cant hold it a certain way then they should be able to get one, because the way you hold your phone is a tough habit to break, and if your going to pay hundreds of dollars for a premium device you should be able to hold it in a reasonable manner, and it is extremely arrogant for Apple to say you cant use your left hand.

Its not cupping the bottom, putting your finger over the antenna on the bottom left corner causes the problem (for some people)

Apple is not allowing replacements because all the phones are the same. There are dozens of variables to explain why some people are experiencing it and some aren't.

Apple is not saying don't use your left hand. They are saying not to touch the one spot, which is perfectly reasonable to do. I don't touch it naturally when holding with my left hand.

So you don't have the phone, yet you are still getting it. If you experience this problem, are you allowed to complain even though you were fully aware of it?

Billy Mays

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010

Cupping the bottom of the phone has nothing to do with it. If you touch the separator it will degrade the signal beyond repair. It only takes one finger.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
The funny thing about all these threads is that everyone has already made up their mind. Do you really think anyone has completely changed their opinion based on something they read in one of these threads? :rolleyes:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Apple is not allowing replacements because all the phones are the same. There are dozens of variables to explain why some people are experiencing it and some aren't.

Apple is not saying don't use your left hand. They are saying not to touch the one spot, which is perfectly reasonable to do. I don't touch it naturally when holding with my left hand.

So you don't have the phone, yet you are still getting it. If you experience this problem, are you allowed to complain even though you were fully aware of it?

Really, why dont you mind your own business. I doubt u own an iphone 4, but if you do, and u haVe no problems, just get own with ur life. Dont be such a busybody.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I don't touch it naturally when holding with my left hand.

That's great. I do. I touch it naturally when I hold it in my left hand (I'm a lefty.) As I said - I bought a case for it - so the issue is negligible to me. That doesn't mean I don't have an issue with my reception.

If you had oral surgery and are in pain and take percoset - the drug doesn't fix the actual problem or heal you, it's masks it. Your mouth is still wounded.

ETA - by the way - if you're happy with your phone - great. Why does it bother you that others aren't. You keep telling people to return their phones if they don't like it. Well I'll throw that back at you - if you're happy with your phone, why do you care if other people's phones work or don't work. Go out and enjoy your phone LOL

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
Ask the Red Sox. Bazinga!

I hoped someone would appreciate that analogy.

The funny thing about all these threads is that everyone has already made up their mind. Do you really think anyone has completely changed their opinion based on something they read in one of these threads? :rolleyes:

Not a single person! But it wouldnt be a forum if it wasnt ridden with people arguing about things theyve already decided on.

RobLS

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2008
Not trying to add fuel to the fire, just want to ask and confirm some things.

I agree/disagree with the OP. Not everyone has the issue, but there are definitely some people with it. A lot of people need to calm down about it, you can voice your dissapointment but it doesn't mean you need to go to court with apple.

Originally, I thought the problem is you had to cup the bottom left corner of the phone. This is an unnatural hold for talking on the phone, which is why it was confusing me how people were whining that holding the phone naturally dropped the call.

Now I am hearing just one finger has to bridge the gap on the left side and the signal will drop? This makes more sense if true as to why people claim that holding it naturally drops the signal.

Has the 'cupping the bottom left corner' argument turned into just 'one finger covering the gap' for every person who has the issue? Or is this a case where some people have it worse than others? Some people being able to only lose signal when cupping while others can lay a measly finger on the gap and its gone.

What about that new claim, pulling out your card and reinserting it solves the issue? What people have tested this so far?

As for me, I can't test any of this yet. My friends phone that I used couldn't replicate the issue. I tried one finger and the cupping the corner tightly. I am on the list to get the new iPhone though, as my trusty 1st gen iPhone is finally gone.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
FACT: My signal goes from five bars to none within 10 seconds if I hold it the wrong way. Explain that.

+1

Also it's not the fact my signal goes from five bars to 0, its the fact that it goes from full data service to absolute zero service when held (ie the amount of bars doesn't matter). I've read some people saying that even when held a certain way the amount of bars stays the same but a little known fact they dont know is that their service is gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.