Thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt cable

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gabrielpele, Nov 2, 2016.

1. gabrielpele macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I know there are a billion thread about this so I'm just going to explain quick
    I have a thunderbolt display which has no use at home
    I've always wished to have my PC connect to a thunderbolt display
    but after research it's clearly not possible

I stumbled upon this cable which is made by Apple: Thunderbolt 3 type C (Male) to Thunderbolt 2 (Female)
    I bought it thinking this could be an actual solution (Yes I do have a USB C port on my laptop!)
    but I came back home and it does not work. It is giving me 2 error messages.

First one I think is only related to the adapter itself because the error shows even when the display is not plugged in. It says: try improving the USB connection.

The second error is the one where it says that windows does not recognize the device.

My question is, should i search for particular drivers? Do you guys have any clue on how to make it work?
    Or should i just quit looking, sell the display and buy another monitor?

Thanks

(I am running windows 10, the USB C drivers are up to date)

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

So you have a USB-C port, but is that port also Thunderbolt 3-enabled? That's the important part.

3. gabrielpele thread starter macrumors newbie

lol wow. i didn't think there was a difference. i only thought thunderbolt 3 was just another way to name a usb c port. thanks for the info i guess i'll just sell this display.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Have a look here for some more information:
    https://thunderbolttechnology.net/blog/difference-between-usb-c-and-thunderbolt-3

USB-C is different from Thunderbolt 3 in the same way Mini DisplayPort is different from Thunderbolt 2.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020