Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
It's obvious Tim Cook is only interested in his political career. I really hope he leaves his charge at Apple soon, as I'm interested in Mac products, not in Tim's political views.

Reactions: Huck

menithings

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Los Angeles
Amazing photo. Tim‘s all, “This person has the nuclear codes?”

Interesting how some here think Cook’s criticism of Trump’s policy proposals is “Political” and “Tim should concentrate on Mac mini/Mac Pro/iPhone production, etc”.

Trump's proposals will negatively affect Apple's bottom line and corporate values - and Tim is responding accordingly. That's what's actually happening. And I for one am glad Mr. Cook is vocal and firm.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Are you serious? Like do you honestly not have a clue about world history or something? There is a distinct difference between moving into an unsettled & ungoverned land and sneaking into an established country with laws and government.

Except there were already about 30 million people already living here. Talk about not knowing history.

Reactions: arkitect

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
what you are saying is not true, there aren't many immigrants in Germany, they mostly are in Italy and every other country in Europa, Germany does not have many immigrants, they left them to other countries for the most part.

Germany had many immigrants in the past, from turkey since 1960 and as it always was and always will be:
immigrants are very good for the economy, like it or not.

you should shut your mouth, not cook

I agree that Germany and other countries need immigration, but it has to be smart immigration. It's a delicate balance that must be maintained if you don't want to deal with negative consequences by adding too many young men too quickly to a toxic brew of despair, frustration and aggression when the reality of their seemingly hopeless situation is realized.

An increasing number of Syrians are leaving because Germany has proven to be a place of false hope, at least in their cases. Some are now trying to get into the UK, while others have gone back to Turkey via Greece, mainly to get back to their families. They interviewed one Syrian refugee in France who had spent over a year in Germany and he said Germany was "no good" and not what he had expected.

Reactions: RogerWilco

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Do you not realize that these people were brought here as children? That they do not know any life other than that which they've lived here? They have all their connections here and have absolutely nothing at home?

The average age of these people is 26 years. Most were not / are not children and had ample time to apply for citizenship.

This isn't about the letter of the law. This is about compassion.

The most compassionate thing would have been to deny their entry in the first place to not set up this situation. That's 2 problems Democrats set up this week: giving North Korea nukes and now this.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
If we deport them, we are punishing them for what their parents did.

If we give them legitimate citizenship, we are (in a sense) rewarding their parents for breaking the law and spitting in the faces of every other immigrant who went through the proper channels to become a US citizen. Will this encourage more people to try the same stunt?

No easy solution to this, IMO.
Fix the system... dont punish the innocent ....
That is an easy and fair solution. Imo.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Fix the system... dont punish the innocent ....
That is an easy and fair solution. Imo.
Well, for one, your argument assumes the system was broken to begin with. I guess for one, it just goes to show that US border security sucks, if there can be so many undocumented immigrants being affected.

Second, fair to whom? The “dreamers” caught in the crossfire, or the people waiting in line whose places they are displacing?

No matter what solution is enacted, there will always be winners and losers. I agree that letting them stay is likely the lesser of two evils (my guess is some sort of one-off amnesty), but that’s not to say that such a move is not without ramifications of its own.

All I can say is - it’s easy to take the moral high ground when we are not the ones who have the clean up the mess.

Reactions: Jsameds

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
Apple should be raided as they employ 250 illegal migrants. Several hundreds millions to cash in.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
It is painfully obvious Tim has been cherry-picking 'safe' issues that have popular support, but he's nowhere to be found in the face of less popular injustices. He should either be consistent with his unsolicited criticisms or stick to running Apple. His hypocrisy is becoming a turn off.

Btw, the situation in Europe is imho a ticking time bomb. The violence by the newcomers taking place in countries such as Germany, Sweden, Italy, The Netherlands, etc. is appalling, as are their unrealistic demands. This is not going to end well.

As a stockholder Mr Cook has been doing a STELLAR job running Apple and taking the company to EPIC heights of growth in 10 years that towers over anything seen by AN AMERICAN company in modern history.

For those who are appalled by his remarks or his personal or corporate policies made public - strange that it's o-k that Haliburton or Blackwater or any other multinational corporation who truly and purposefully affect POLICY that runs our lives and lives of people all around the world COVERTLY -- suddenly transparent remarks like those made by Cook are the ones that must be stopped. How bout just saying that we are living inside a Fascist dictatorship that is struggling to maintain its power by degrading democracy as we know it in the midst of an evolving global political transformation.

How in the hell is Tim Cook connected to the gentrification occurring in nearly every country in Europe? Wtf!!! But that's ok connect him to it anyway.

I'm Greek. Why did my tiny country with a low GDP naturalize 2 million or more Albanian refugees when we could barely care for our own people? Should the Greek people somehow just "export" them all out of our lands or was it just better to let GOLDMAN SACHS destroy our economy, steal our wealth, allow Europe to sell off our infrastructure to the Germans and say it's all the fault of our own immigrant population??

Wake up America. CORPORATE AMERICA IS TO BLAME FOR OUR DEMOCRATIC CRISIS -- NOT THE IMMIGRANTS.

Immigrants here and abroad have been just as exploited as all of us.

Tell me people. How's "service" going for ya these days? How's your cable service working? How's that bill costing you? How's your internet provider helping you? Your bank? Your utility? Your grocery store? Your local government? Your landlord? Your car company? Your airline? Your health insurance? The condition of your roads? In Los Angeles 1/3 of the city budget goes to pay PENSIONS of city milkers -- people. Wake up. Immigrants at fault again?

So while some of you ruminate on side shows like Tim Cook how bout you get on the good ole band wagon of true governement reform AND GET CORPORATE AMERICA OUT OF OUR FING POLITICS. Mr Trump is the epitome of privatization and let me say right now - that's not gonna end well for many of us..I'm in the camp that BOTH SIDES OF OUR POLITICAL SPECTRUM ARE CORRUPT.

GREED knows no boundaries -- right or left...

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
No real argument besides the law? Haha. No wonder why you people let your country get taken over.

you referring to 1066? 'cos that was a while ago now. We've managed, just about, to let go of the fact that we were taken over by the French 900+ years ago. Perhaps you should.

rasputin1969

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
You mean the same Jobs who bent the knee to Disney?

Two things
1. Jobs did not kowtow to Disney, he fought tooth and nail with Disney and in particular Michael Eisner (Who left the company partially due to his handling of Pixar and Jobs).
2. It is impossibly to imagine the Liberal leaning Jobs, whose west coast counter counter origins was so deeply ingrained countenancing a reactionary president like Trump. Do you really believe he would have sat around that table?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I'll say this right at the onset: Tim Cook needs to give his left liberal political pandering since November 2016 a bloody effing break. I'm an immigrant from India myself, I currently work for Apple from Germany, I have family in the USA, and before Tim blindly starts defending Dreamers, he needs to read this: https://cis.org/Mortensen/DACA-Gran...mitting-Crimes-While-Abandoning-Their-Victims.

I support some of President Trump's policies and I believe that DACA should be reformulated from the ground up instead of being nullified.

Having said that, Tim Cook of late hasn't ceased downright disgusting me. We get it that Tim is a die-hard Hillary Clinton fan but he just can't seem to be able to keep his head out of politics.

KKK, Nazis, white supremacsists are vile, demented creatures—there's no defending ANYTHING they stand for. But where are Cook's Twitter condemnations and fundraising against rabidly hateful and intolerant leftist groups like Antifa, who (quite literally!) burn down every single free speech rally at college campuses without a single consequence?

What happens to his voice when Islamists openly urge for a Jewish genocide in America in the name of "freeing Palestine"?!

Where is this coward when cop-killing BLM groups conduct riots, vandalize local businesses, loot, destroy for months in a row during the 2-term presidency of a black man!?

In which hole in the ground does Tim Cook hide when rabid feminists take the stage—physically or on mainstream media—and demand the systematic suffering of men, especially white males in America?

As a brown man that has seen plenty of these pseudoliberals in my own country, there's nothing worse than a duplicitous, hypocritical COWARD with connections to influence, and tons of cash to spend toward their own agenda.

Tim, take your private jet and come see the state of Germany after it took in 3 million undocumented immigrants. Roam around Düsseldorf for a while, then take a flight to Paris and then drop in at Rome after that. Maybe what you will witness will help you SHUT your mouth and have you consider focusing on your goddam job again.
If you don't like what Tim is doing you should just quit. I'd fire you if I learned you were posting negative things about your own CEO on social media and I was your boss. Its not professional.

First of all, BLM isn't killing cops. its the other way around. You need to worry about German politics rather than inserting your nose into American politics which you know nothing about. Tim hasn't said anything about letting in new undocumented immigrants. We are talking about people who've already been here for many years and have been working and contributing to society through military service and tech innovation among other things.

Last edited:

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
If you don't like what Tim is doing you should just quit. Id fire you if I learned you were posting negative things about your own CEO on social media. Its not professional.
Exactly.

I find it curious how often immigrants are amongst the most rabid anti-immigration… as if now that they're OK they want to shut "the rest" out…
Kicking downwards as they clamber up the greasy pole.

Reactions: AdonisSMU

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Exactly.

I find it curious how often immigrants are amongst the most rabid anti-immigration… as if now that they're OK they want to shut "the rest" out…
Its not only that... that person is just ignorant of what is going on in the US....and more importantly ignorant of the subject matter in the article. Since they have no knowledge of the subject matter at hand they deflect to other things some true and others blatantly false like the accusations they leveled against BLM.

Tim is making a business decision. People here are so dumb and not realizing that its a business decision not a political one.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
I'll say this right at the onset: Tim Cook needs to give his left liberal political pandering since November 2016 a bloody effing break. I'm an immigrant from India myself, I currently work for Apple from Germany, I have family in the USA, and before Tim blindly starts defending Dreamers, he needs to read this: https://cis.org/Mortensen/DACA-Gran...mitting-Crimes-While-Abandoning-Their-Victims.

I support some of President Trump's policies and I believe that DACA should be reformulated from the ground up instead of being nullified.

Having said that, Tim Cook of late hasn't ceased downright disgusting me. We get it that Tim is a die-hard Hillary Clinton fan but he just can't seem to be able to keep his head out of politics.

KKK, Nazis, white supremacsists are vile, demented creatures—there's no defending ANYTHING they stand for. But where are Cook's Twitter condemnations and fundraising against rabidly hateful and intolerant leftist groups like Antifa, who (quite literally!) burn down every single free speech rally at college campuses without a single consequence?

What happens to his voice when Islamists openly urge for a Jewish genocide in America in the name of "freeing Palestine"?!

Where is this coward when cop-killing BLM groups conduct riots, vandalize local businesses, loot, destroy for months in a row during the 2-term presidency of a black man!?

In which hole in the ground does Tim Cook hide when rabid feminists take the stage—physically or on mainstream media—and demand the systematic suffering of men, especially white males in America?

As a brown man that has seen plenty of these pseudoliberals in my own country, there's nothing worse than a duplicitous, hypocritical COWARD with connections to influence, and tons of cash to spend toward their own agenda.

Tim, take your private jet and come see the state of Germany after it took in 3 million undocumented immigrants. Roam around Düsseldorf for a while, then take a flight to Paris and then drop in at Rome after that. Maybe what you will witness will help you SHUT your mouth and have you consider focusing on your goddam job again.

Many Indians are known to right wing especially looking at their current leader modi so its no surprise. We even saw many indians praying and worshippers for Trump as an example so I can understand where you are coming from.

1. A CEO can have a policy which the management and most of the board agrees with . apple and silicon valley is for the most part left leaning , if you don't like that , get an android , oh wait nevermind them too, deal with it .

2. Regarding source of your study:
The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) published reports in 2002[64] and 2009[65] on John Tanton, who founded the CIS and said he had ties to white supremacy groups and a eugenics foundation.

3. The Center for Immigration Studies has been criticized for periodically publishing reports deemed to be misleading and using poor methodology by scholars on immigration; think tanks such as the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, the Cato Institute,[30] Urban Institute[31] and Center for American Progress; fact-checkers such as FactCheck.Org, Washington Post, Snopes and NBC News; and by immigration-research organizations (such as Migration Policy Institute and the Immigration Policy Center[32]).

4. You are in the 35% of Americans who support Trump policies at this point . you are a diminishing minority opinion at this point.

5. Every form of violence is bad but equating blm and antifa to literal Nazis is so logically and historically absurd it defies reason . you purposely perhaps ignore that groups like antifa and blm exist because of racism and Nazis in the first place, when their factions are violent it is against what they perceive as extremists whereas Nazis kkk and right wing supremacists would exist even if blm and antifa didn't and are based on hate against good. End of discussion. There is no but what about. There is no buts. You know this

6. As a brown man myself who has seen plenty of kiss the white right wing ass by other brown folks like you , you are ignorantly misinformed or just plain evil.pick your poison

7. Use some compassion. Some logic, some reasoning , some humanity when talking of undocumented immigrants who in this case came at the age of 6 and want to just move on .if you cannot, crawl back to the inept depths of hate which try to formulate opinions against compassion

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
American citizens come before dreamers. If they want jobs here, they need to be naturalized. I Support President Trump

Silly, in that case you support also the deportations of hundreds of thousands tax paying citizens, people that in many cases are doing jobs other more rich American's are not willing to do to begin with.
These "dreamers" do form an important backbone for the American economy.

threesixty360

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007

Said by someone with brown skin who thinks that they are exempt from the atrocities committed against people who look just like you. Even Oprah has to deal with people not serving her because of her skin colour. Yet you belittle Tim Cook who is in a unique position as the CEO of the most successful company in the world and is fighting for justice for people who cant speak for themselves.

I'd prefer to break bread with the KKK than to someone like yourself. You are worse than the people who want to hang me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pthread1101

symphara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2013
Exactly.

Perhaps after being a law-abiding fool and dealing with work permits, visas, consular interviews etc, there's something particularly irksome about people who simply sidestep all that and voilà they're in, and it's evil and inhuman to say otherwise.

Reactions: mgguy

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Said by someone with brown skin who thinks that they are exempt from the atrocities committed against people who look just like you. Even Oprah has to deal with people not serving her because of her skin colour. Yet you belittle Tim Cook who is in a unique position as the CEO of the most successful company in the world and is fighting for justice for people who cant speak for themselves.

I'd prefer to break bread with the KKK than to someone like yourself. You are worse than the people who want to hang me!

I believe this is what you call " **** you, got mine" mentality of some right wing immigrants

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pthread1101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.