Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Try to fix it or just sell it on eBay without ssd?

• Try to fix it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell as faulty

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Toothpick134

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2017
Hi Everyone!

I wanted to get some advice regarding my MacBook Pro's situation. (I'm in the UK)

My MacBook Pro Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015 was water damaged some months ago. Long story short I got the '?' folder and after some stressful visits to various repair stores I was told the data is unrecoverable because the SSD is fried.

Here's the current working order of the MacBook Pro and what I tried:

Recovery Mode was tried, it connects to wifi I get all the options, Reinstall OS, Time Machine, I can go online in recovery mode and even Google works but whenever I try to reinstall OS there is no disk visible.

I tried disk utility but only see 'disk 0' which is 1.33GB unrepairable and 'OS X Base System' 1.33GB which I can also not do anything with.

Obviously the SSD is fried and data unrecoverable - I've accepted that. However here are my questions to you regarding my current options:

OPTION 1
Should I sell the MacBook Pro on eBay as faulty without an SSD? If so, for what price?

Or...

OPTION 2
Should I try and buy the correct SSD for my MacBooks version online and replace it? How risky would that be? I don't want to waste £100 or so on a new SSD only for the motherboard to fry it or to realise it still doesn't work because other components might be fried.

I just don't want to sell it if there's a chance of it being repaired.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8843.JPG
    IMG_8843.JPG
    873.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_8841.JPG
    IMG_8841.JPG
    780.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_8840.JPG
    IMG_8840.JPG
    768.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_8839.JPG
    IMG_8839.JPG
    677.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_8838.JPG
    IMG_8838.JPG
    837.7 KB · Views: 116
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.