Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
I thought this thread would be an appropriate location for me to express my excitement. I have just reached 1,500 posts, and have subsequently increased in rank!

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
michaelrjohnson said:
This city sounds like a death trap!!!
Heh. More like a quiet, uppity, "where-you-retire-play-tennis-on-your-own-courts-and-do-charitable-things" town. Gag. When I was in elementary school, the town was predominately inhabited by senior citizens. These days, there are a lot of young families w/ children, paying exorbitant prices in hopes that their offspring will become wildly successful after graduating from some of the "best" schools.

Anyway, Saratoga is a death trap... it's a giant bubble where you are so disconnected from the rest of the world, which isn't to say that I haven't been sucked in, I admit I'm nowhere near as cognizant of current events as I should be.

:edit: Congrats on your "promotion!"

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Ha! I wonder what the statistical probability (before this thread was started) that our post counts would increase solely by posting in this thread? 100%? 101%? :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
As embarrassed as I am by my motion up the rankings, I feel compelled irresistibly to post and post again in this thread! :p

Michael, congrats on 1500 posts! :)

I don't know about this no sidewalks and no street lights thing. Street lights can be done in a way that they are pretty, and not disruptive. I have seen a lot of very pretty downtown areas that are lit in an easy-going way.

And as for sidewalks, walking is a good thing, and I like to see as many of them as possible. In the Detroit suburbs, there was always the conspiracy theory that the automakers silently pressured the cities to make their streets non-pedestrian friendly and keep bus service minimal. I think it's overblown, but in Dearborn, in the area around Ford HQ, there are literally places where you basically cannot cross the street on foot, because the street is too wide, the cross street light is too short in the appropriate direction, there is no crosswalk, and there are no Walk/Don't Walk lights. On this particular street, there are overwalks in certain areas, like by one of the schools, but there are only two of them in a 2-3 mile stretch. My office building was well within walking distance of a strip mall with restaurants, to which it was practically impossible to walk, because of the layout! :(

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
yellow said:
Ha! I wonder what the statistical probability (before this thread was started) that our post counts would increase solely by posting in this thread? 100%? 101%? :D
I'm not sure any of us can claim we didn't know it was going to happen. ;) :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
For those of you worried about your slow posting rate or your poor placement on these lists, I quote a famous and eloquent statesman:
Post count isn't that big a deal and you don't actually gain anything from having more or less. It's quality of posts, not quantity, that works for you here.
-- Mr. Anderson, post on July 5, 2003​
OK, so it's not Winston Churchill. Surprisingly, Churchill forgot to make any great statements about MacRumors post counts.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Post count isn't that big a deal and you don't actually gain anything from having more or less. It's quality of posts, not quantity, that works for you here.
Says the man with 20K posts...:rolleyes:
Surprised that wdlove has about the same posting rate as Mr. A...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Doctor Q said:
For those of you worried about your slow posting rate or your poor placement on these lists, I quote a famous and eloquent statesman:
OK, so it's not Winston Churchill. Surprisingly, Churchill forgot to make any great statements about MacRumors post counts.

I'm surprised a man like Churchill would be remiss in such a manner... what was he thinking? ;)

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
~Shard~ said:
I'm surprised a man like Churchill would be remiss in such a manner... what was he thinking? ;)
From Sir Winston himself...

Every day you may make progress... Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.

I'm not sure what exactly he was discussing at the time but it may well have been MacRumors post counts. ;)

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
michaelrjohnson said:
I thought this thread would be an appropriate location for me to express my excitement. I have just reached 1,500 posts, and have subsequently increased in rank!
Allow me to congratulate you, and in the process push my post count up to 500. ;)

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Jaffa Cake said:

Every day you may make progress... Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.

I'm not sure what exactly he was discussing at the time but it may well have been MacRumors post counts. ;)
Good call... it reads almost exactly the same! Wow... he was ahead of his time.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Lyle said:
Allow me to congratulate you, and in the process push my post count up to 500. ;)
Haha, congrats to you, too! Man, I didn't really care about my "rank" until all of you make it seem so cool w/ this thread. Well, I guess I just think it's fun how the regulars all seem so friendly and familiar w/ each other. <Waving hand frantically in the air> I wanna be one too! :D

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
devilot76 said:
Haha, congrats to you, too! Man, I didn't really care about my "rank" until all of you make it seem so cool w/ this thread. Well, I guess I just think it's fun how the regulars all seem so friendly and familiar w/ each other. <Waving hand frantically in the air> I wanna be one too! :D
We can wave from the sidelines together...
:rolleyes:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Jaffa Cake said:

I don't know what else he could have bene referring to, it had to be MacRumors. :cool:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
~Shard~ said:
I don't know what else he could have bene referring to, it had to be MacRumors.
I assumed he was talking about Lance Armstrong. But it'll do for MacRumors too.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Here's a 2-year history tracking the current Top 10.

Attachments

• Top-10-Post-Rates.png
    Top-10-Post-Rates.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 139

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The current #11 thru #20 - how they got where they are today.

Attachments

• 11-20-Post-Rates.png
    11-20-Post-Rates.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 101

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Last but not least, #41 thru #50.

Note that I've adjusted the vertical scale for each chart separately, so slopes on one graph cannot be directly compared with slopes on another graph. Each graph is scaled to make the comparison of those 10 members as easy to see as possible.

Attachments

• 41-50-Post-Rates.png
    41-50-Post-Rates.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 113

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Another note about the graphs above: Due to the nature of my data and spreadsheets (or lack of charting skills), each member appears by magic at the 6-month measurement interval at which they first had posts. Each member's post history should really start at zero posts somewhere within the preceding 6-month interval, but I think the most recent line segments are the most interesting anyway!

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
munkle said:
Love the stats, thanks and keep up the good work Doctor Q!
There are three things we can count on: death, taxes, and Doctor Q's statistical analysis. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.