TUAW's take on MR's "iPhone 4S strings"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by troop231, Oct 1, 2011.

1. troop231 macrumors 603

Read Update #2 posted here: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/01/iphone-5-appears-temporarily-on-cincinnati-bell-website/
    It is interesting to note that only MacRumors posted this, and these types of strings can easily be faked. I'm siding with TUAW on this issue.

2. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I think everything is bull crap until the 4th.

3. eric18 macrumors member

Aside from the fact that I would REALLY like to see an iPhone 5, I have more reason to believe this than the "strings," which TUAW reportedly did not find in the new beat for iTunes. Either way, Tuesday is only a few days away!!!

4. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Yup, what we will probably see is a carrier universal (GSM+CDMA) iPhone 4S along with the newer iPhone 5.

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

It should be trivial to verify the strings for anyone who downloaded the latest iTunes beta prior to when it was apparently pulled and replaced.

6. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

x2

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It wasn't pulled and replaced. It wasn't even removed.

8. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

That's interesting indeed, i think MacRumors is playing it safe with the iPhone 4S rumors.
    However the fact that AT&T has iPhone 5 cases, which Case Mate also carries, which are copies of millions of the same case in China.. is too much of a coincidence. Remember, we didn't get any physical leaks from the iPad 2, we only had case leaks.

I believe we'll see 1 new iPhone, which will be the iPhone 5. And we'll see a slight bump of the iPhone 4, which would be the iPhone 4S and that would be used to target the pre-paid markets. I'm an analyst, so you can take what i say as a grain of salt.

Apple could very well be loosening up the leaks for the iPhone 4S side.

Also, apparently Radioshack just took down the SKUs from earlier today. I think we'll either see a proper leak a few hours before the event if anything.

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Ask a developer. The strings are still there.

easily verifiable. TUAW is wrong here.

here's where to find them (AI found them too)

[​IMG]

10. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Arn, what do you believe we'll be seeing?

11. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

arn is right. Ask anyone in the Dev Team on Twitter. They say the same thing.

12. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

- iPhone 4S
    - Same form factor as iPhone 4
    - CDMA and GSM in one phone
    - HSPA+ (at least 14.4mbps)
    - 1GB RAM
    - A5 Processor
    - SGX 543MP2 (same as iPad)
    - Assistant Voice Recognition

13. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Well, that's that. If that's what the new iPhone turns out to be, I'll be perfectly happy.

Think to yourselves people, the iPhone 4 design is better than any of the teardrop mockups we've seen. The larger display will simply reduce the pixel density, AND make it harder to hold. I have a SGS2 and the iPhone 4 is so much more comfortable.

Sure, if Apple makes a new design, it will be great (better than the mockups), but if they retained the iPhone 4 design and have the specs bump, plus iCloud and Assistant, this is still the best smartphone on the market, and the one to buy.

14. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

So? this just means Apple didn't put the iPhone 5 strings in it.. The 4S will just be a universal model.

15. eksplosions macrumors newbie

The iPhone 5 was supposed to be my first iPhone, but if it's a spec bump of the iPhone 4 I'd rather just get the Nexus Prime. The combination of a larger screen and LTE is just much more enticing than the easy syncing.

16. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

You have no idea how uncomfortable the SGS2 already is, and the Nexus Prime is even bigger than that. I will never buy it just because I can't even hold it properly.

I wouldn't even call it a phone anymore. It's like a min-tablet that can make calls.

17. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

That list is sound.

But what of the numerous iPhone 5 cases? The fact that AT&T and Case Mate carries them?
    Things just aren't adding up.

18. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Same as the iPod touch cases with a camera hole that were released in 2009 - the resulting iPod touches didn't have cameras.

As for AT&T getting them, those may well be fakes. I mean we've only seen one AT&T store 'apparently' getting them. It doesn't mean anything. It may not be official at all and just some guy taking a photo.

I'm not saying the redesigned iPhone 5 doesn't have any chances of an appearance next Tuesday. I'm just saying that all the evidence that point to it can be easily fake.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

So according to that list there is no new iPod Touch ?

And what app are they using to look at the installer app contents ?

Every time I open it with packager or XCode it crashes on me.

20. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Nope. Doesn't look like it from here.

21. admanimal macrumors 68040

If there is only one new iPhone, it doesn't matter whether they call it the 4s or 5...the internals will be the best that they are willing to put in there this year. So basically you're deciding not to buy it because it will lack whatever slight modifications in form factor that people expected.

22. eksplosions macrumors newbie

I actually DID get a chance to hold it, I didn't find it to be uncomfortable (I'm a big guy so I have pretty big hands). Good point that it'll be even bigger, I guess I'll have to see that for myself as well.

23. mholtz2323 macrumors member

I still stick by my theory that there is an iPhone 4s and an iPhone 5.
    My predictions...
    iPhone 4s -- A5, world phone, 3-5mp camera, antenna design improved.
    Needs A5 for new voice control.

iPhone 5 -- A5, 8mp camera, 4 inch screen, redesigned case, world phone.

We'll see...

24. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I think I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that we might only be getting spec bumps and no redesign. I still have some hope

25. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Not gonna lie, but the only people who will buy a phone that measures more than 4" are the people who have never owned one.

I OWN the Galaxy S2. I can tell you right now that I will never buy a phone bigger than 4" again. You CAN'T hold it properly. Again I will say this - if the iPhone 4S appears with no redesign, I wouldn't be any less than happy at the thought the screen size has been kept constant.

Feel free to downvote - you'll realize how wrong you are when you buy your Nexus Prime and you can't even slide down the Notifications Bar from the top with your thumb because you can't reach it.

I bet you didn't own it. Initially I thought it was OK, but then I realized it's far too big and has a lot of inconveniences, the biggest one being the inability to easily slide down the notifications bar from the top with one hand.