Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I agree. These aren't boom years, people don't have anywhere near as much money to spend on premium computers. Apple's prices have been gradually rising, especially so since they axed the cheaper plastic MacBook.

Well what's your take on people who continue to spend ridiculous money on Gucci and LV bags and such? Those companies certainly stay in business and their products are definitely about perceived value.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
It blows my mind that people are still buying a Dell or HP over Apple.

It blows my mind that people are buying HP over Dell or Lenovo. HP has the highest market share and the worst Windows PCs for the price! They combine bad quality with terrible "extra features" that just add frustration.

Anyway, I just buy Mac. I'm done with Windows.

Last edited:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

----------

Exactly. I'm STILL running just fine on my 6 year old iMac, which will also be able to run Mavericks when it's released. Their products are just too good. Bad for Apple as a company, good for consumers.

I want to be able to upgrade my graphics card. I have a PC the same age as your Mac still playing current gen games.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
This is what happens when you start making crappy hardware, cant swap batteries, cant change other parts not only on the laptops but on the desktops. The new mac pro is what it looks like to the pro market which is a trash can. Apple got to big for themselves and the fall as begun.

lol ur hilarious. Like most people are gonna go bother swapping out batteries. Also, crappy hardware. Literally, the most beautiful hardware I have ever seen and had the pleasure to use. I see this b.s constantly before practically every product launch, and I will never forget the reactions to the iphone 4 and the iPad. As such, I won't believe any nonsense with hate going to products that haven't been released. What's driving down sales is obvious. No new product lines from when this data was collected.

MattDSLR

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2011
Canada
Says the guy with a 15" MBP Thunderbolt, A Retina MBP, An AppleTV, a 24" iMac and iPad. All of which have little to no upgradability, but you gave Apple some nice cash to have them. Your post is hypocritical against your own purchasing interests. :p

all those are travel computers and show computer and 24 " sits on my daughters desk, as we had no more use for it

We have 3 mac pros that we use in our studio, and you have what
one of our mac pros is strictly used as a server

When we travel we use our mac books. i do not care about expandability with mac books but I do care with expandability with my mac pros

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Apple needs to quit the trend towards proprietary hardware and non user upgradeable computers or the slide will continue.

Not really. Again, proprietary hardware (which apple has had for years btw and has seen increases in sales in the past beyond that) doesn't really affect overall market share. Most people just aren't gonna go thru upgrading batteries, RAM, hdd, etc. They buy a new computer when theirs starts to lag behind certain standards.

koppie644

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
840Pro 512GB alone is around $500.

The SSD in the next-generation retina MBP will be almost the fastest PCI-e based one, much faster than 840Pro

And the 802.11ac would be the fastest as well

since apple no longer allows upgrades of their machines and the parts they use inside are more or less bottom of the barrel (cheap ram, slow ssds, nics that dont support jumbo frames, some laptops dont even have lan anymore which is useless for large file transfers, no wifi AC until just now)

i got a lenovo y580 instead, for half the price of the retina macbook ($1279) i got the following

Intel i7 3630
15.6" 1920x1080 with 97% color gamut
16GB Corsair vengeance (upgraded)
512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD (one of the fastest ssds you can buy)
256GB Samsung mSATA (for OS)
Bluray burner (optional HDD bracket option for tripple SSDs)
nVidia GTX660M 2GB ram
Intel 6205 2x2 AGN (but this laptop allows me to upgrade to any wifi card i want, so once intel comes out with an AC card i can just upgrade it for not much more than $20, i dont have to buy a whole new laptop)

i just dont see the point of buying something twice the price with half the speed and half the connectivity.

----------

thats strange, they dont make computers at all, Hon hai makes all the computers, the same company that makes HP's computers (more of their business line than consumer).

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Sure, but isn't it possible the decline in Macs is possibly due to people buying iPads instead?

Based on the Market Share change YoY for tablets and the fact that now Android is selling more Tablets than Apple, wouldn't a more likely scenario be PC users are purchasing Lenovo laptops and desktop computers and Mac and PC users that don't need a new computer are purchasing an Android Tablet?

screen%20shot%202013-05-01%20at%203.22.46%20pm.png

Last edited:

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
But many consumers ask "tech" people for advice before they do, and a decent number of technical people have really been turned off by the non-upgradability of the machines. I'd only recommend someone get a spec'd out machine from Apple or get one that is still upgradeable, and both of those options have the highest price premiums of the line.

Compare that to Lenovo which has some of the cheapest options out there and are pretty well considered by many in tech circles, and it can be a tougher sell nowadays.

Except Lenovos are complete garbage.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Normal people mostly don't buy as much expensive electronics in the spring, and then buy more stuff during back-to-school and the holiday seasons. So the fraction of dull businesses refreshing computers will higher, and dull businesses buy mostly dull PCs.

So wait till Apple finishes their Haswell refresh before the shopping season, and then see if their market share continues to slip.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Based on the Market Share change YoY for tablets and the fact that now Android is selling more Tablets than Apple, wouldn't a more likely scenario be PC users are purchasing Lenovo laptops and desktop computers and Mac and PC users that don't need a new computer are purchasing an Android Tablet?

No, since no Android OEM's report sales figures we have no clue how big the tablet market is and the what the share of each company is. Also I have a hard time believing a large percentage of Mac users are using Android tablets. If iPad figures were added to Apple's PC numbers I think these figures would look different.

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
Sure it does. Where is the entry level product for the Mac laptop line? $1000 for an 11.6" inch laptop isn't going to cut it. Apple needs to bring back the MacBook to address the entry level tier which they are currently not in.

I have to agree with this one. It's great we don't have to pay skyhigh prices like in the old days to get into Apple and I'm glad that the cheapest air now comes with a 128g drive as standard but seriously where is the low cost reasonably sized entry model? The other thing I would be interested in knowing specifically is how the sales of the new imac are going?

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
since apple no longer allows upgrades of their machines and the parts they use inside are more or less bottom of the barrel (cheap ram, ...

Apple typically uses Hynix chips for RAM.

Some Corsair Vengeance RAM uses Hynix chips but some also uses cheaper Nanya chips.

The RAM Apple uses could potentially use the same or better chips than your Corsair Vengeance RAM.

Similar analyses could be done for other parts used by Apple that you deem bottom of the barrel.

Just some food for thought.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA

Well not really, when your a large Business, Windows just makes a lot more sense from an management and in house repair prespective.

And if your a basic home user, and don't even know the difference between Windows and OSX, and watch cat videos all day.

You see the Dell for 699
You see the Mac for 999

You buy the 699 Dell because your cheap, or don't care.

----------

Apple doesn't sell the most computers. They make the best computers though. Period. The best things in life aren't cheap.

Depends what you need, I like my macs for casual home use. Been using them since college.

But when I want to do some epic gaming, I fire up my GamePC ( Yes thats an actual brand ) gaming tower.

If you want gaming or extreme performance, you pretty much have to go PC.

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
since apple no longer allows upgrades of their machines and the parts they use inside are more or less bottom of the barrel (cheap ram, slow ssds, nics that dont support jumbo frames, some laptops dont even have lan anymore which is useless for large file transfers, no wifi AC until just now)

i got a lenovo y580 instead, for half the price of the retina macbook ($1279) i got the following

Intel i7 3630
15.6" 1920x1080 with 97% color gamut
512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD (one of the fastest ssds you can buy)
256GB Samsung mSATA (for OS)
Bluray burner (optional HDD bracket option for tripple SSDs)
nVidia GTX660M 2GB ram
Intel 6205 2x2 AGN (but this laptop allows me to upgrade to any wifi card i want, so once intel comes out with an AC card i can just upgrade it for not much more than $20, i dont have to buy a whole new laptop)

i just dont see the point of buying something twice the price with half the speed and half the connectivity.

I thought we got over the "spec war" years ago, and realized that people care about more than simple specs. The reality is, a lot of what you mentioned, the average consumer cares pretty much ZERO about.

But to play at your own game ...

I'm not sure what you're smoking, but Apple doesn't use bottom of the barrel parts.

Slow SSDs? Hardly. Especially with Apple pushing PCIe SSDs. I don't see any other companies doing this. The Macbook Air's new SSD is faster than your "fastest on the market" 840 Pro, pushing a delta of at least 200 MB on sequential reads and writes.

RAM? I think you're overestimating the importance here. By what metric are we measuring "cheap"? I've never had a problem with Apple's RAM (except its exhorbitant price of course -- but that's where Apple makes its profit). If you think you're being bottlenecked by RAM speed, honestly, you are probably just aren't. And 99.9% of users will never be bottlenecked by "slow" RAM. The capacity is much more important, and Apple offers plenty of that (at a premium price albeit."

If you want to talk about networking ...
Wired: First, most of Apple's target customers don't use or really need gig-E. Sorry if you do, but you're clearly not Apple's target customer. And if you really do, there's an adaptor for that. Probably inconvenient for you, but its great for everyone else -- we're no longer limited by the size of the ethernet connection, so laptops can be thinner and more portable than ever.
Wireless: Apple is one of the only companies that puts decent wireless in their laptops. They have been using 3x3:3 MIMO for years now. You'd be hard pressed to find that on hardly any windows laptops. From Jarred over at Anandtech: "Can you guess what the most common configuration is, even on more expensive laptops? If you said “single-band 2.4GHz 1x1:1”, give yourself a cookie."

Finally, hardly ANYONE cares about upgrading their wireless card. You might -- and that's great -- but if you're that into upgrading and DIY, you're clearly in the right market -- a PC.

Also, what you've failed to include in your "specs" are other factors -- keyboard quality, display quality (sorry, 1080p isn't "retina" for a laptop), trackpad quality ... and the biggest difference -- SOFTWARE.

Get real man.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
My laptops, so far...

HP Pavilion dv6729ca (03/2008-06/2010): After about a year, started showing wear (keyboard keys, scratches, creaking, loose bits. Soon after the one year mark, I started having all kinds of issues with it, from poor performance and freezing all the way to failure to even POST. Required SEVEN repairs and THREE new motherboards in the second half of its life.

Laptop expired before it's 3 year warranty did...

Dell StudioXPS 1647 (06/2010-04/2012): Sound was always glitchy, and had the odd graphics glitch on battery power. Battery life would noticeably decrease with every cycle, and calibration did nothing to fix this. All of these issues, I was told, were "normal" for this model. Two attempted (warranty) repairs failed to change anything... At approx 1 1/2 years of age, it started suffering from a hard lock-up issue, which would occur more and more often.

Retired short of 2 years old, sue to being unusable at this point. Needed new motherboard at $500+ cost.

Apple MacbookPro 12 late 2011 (04/2012-present): *knocks on wood* Essentially flawless, so far. No problems; excellent build quality.

My Windows PC laptops:

- IBM Thinkpad T42 (late 2004 - today) Long retired, but still boots up and works fine... just slow. Aside from replacing the HDD once, I've never had a problem with it.

- Toshiba Satellite A135-S4517 (summer 2007 - today) Typing on it right now. I use this every day. So far, still problem free. Only upgrades done were upgrading from Win Vista to Win 7 and adding more RAM.

What does this prove? Every computer, and yes, this includes Apple's MacBook Pro, can have problems.

What it doesn't mean is Windows PC are poorly built and needs to be upgraded "every other year" or that they "are built to be obsolete in 18 months." That's just a bunch of hogwash.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
No, since no Android OEM's report sales figures we have no clue how big the tablet market is and the what the share of each company is. Also I have a hard time believing a large percentage of Mac users are using Android tablets. If iPad figures were added to Apple's PC numbers I think these figures would look different.

Isn't that the same excuse Apple users used with Mac's and then the iPhone and now you're going to dig that up with the Tablet IDC numbers?

IDC clearly states that they don't include Media Tablets.

"Note: Data includes desk-based PCs and mobile PCs, including mini-notebooks but not media tablets such as the iPad."

If the iPad could run native Mac applications (as the surface pro can) then maybe you'd have a basis for your opinion but as long as Apple chooses to run a mobile OS that doesn't run native Mac apps then your point makes no sense.

Then again... Android is outselling Apple in the Tablet Market and Crushing them in the Smartphone Market my opinion would sway more towards my original scenerio. It's tough to see 247% growth for Android, 700% growth for Windows and 65% growth for Apple knocking it down almost 20% in market share for the year.

It's the Mac vs PC all over again. It's just a matter of time unless Apple comes up with something better than what they presented at WWDC.

It's going to be a long summer for Apple and I would assume Tim Cook.

damitssam

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Apple doesn't sell the most computers. They make the best computers though. Period. The best things in life aren't cheap.

If you think APPLE computers spec wise are the best computers ever made you must be high on that cannabis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.