Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
I do sympathise with you guys that are desperate to upgrade but from where I'm sitting I see no reason to get rid of my 3G, I was pleased at yesterdays announcement, it's just a slight upgrade, the real follow up will hopefully be next year, I'll sit tight with OS 3.0 and wait, I won't even upgrade in December when I'm eligible. Maybe it's just me but I don't think the 3G is slow at all and I'm not bothered about the camera.

On the other hand I could kill O2 for the pricing they've put on tethering.

Has anybody asked O2 how MMS will work, is it one MMS equals two SMS?

I think its 4 sms for 1 mms

Accoladeuk

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2009
just had an email from o2 saying they are stopping the bolt on selections for the iphone tarrifs. so there will be no unlimitied texts anymore etc.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
just had an email from o2 saying they are stopping the bolt on selections for the iphone tarrifs. so there will be no unlimitied texts anymore etc.

Really? I've not received that yet. Lucky I'm not sending as many texts as I was when I signed up for the bolt-on then!

Accoladeuk

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2009
Really? I've not received that yet. Lucky I'm not sending as many texts as I was when I signed up for the bolt-on then!

it was in reply to one i sent.

heres what they said :

We're unable to offer you the Unlimited Text Bolt On to your account, as we don't offer the following chargeable Bolt Ons anymore:
 Unlimited anytime texts
 Unlimited O2 to O2 calls
 Unlimited weekend calls
 Unlimited landline calls
 200 extra anytime minutes

This is because we're reviewing the bolt-ons we offer to ensure that they reflect how customers are using their mobile phones and their usage in the future.

finatk

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
Hey guys i work for o2-uk unfortunatly there is no chance of early upgrades, unless you are a ) Platinum customer (6month early upgrade) or b) putting the cash up to buy yourself out of your contract.

We have had the stock of IPhone 3Gs deliverd and as confirmed will be on sale 9am 19th June. No preorders are available at this time.

carnacious

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2001
Hey guys i work for o2-uk unfortunatly there is no chance of early upgrades, unless you are a ) Platinum customer (6month early upgrade) or b) putting the cash up to buy yourself out of your contract.

We have had the stock of IPhone 3Gs deliverd and as confirmed will be on sale 9am 19th June. No preorders are available at this time.

What is a platinum customer??

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland

Do you know the reason why there is no pre orders?

So if i want a 3gS on the 19th, i need to go to the O2 store, or will O2 online accept an order the day before at least?

Jowl

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2006
UK
On the other hand I could kill O2 for the pricing they've put on tethering.

Has anybody asked O2 how MMS will work, is it one MMS equals two SMS?

Agree with you on Tethering. It's something that would make me move away from O2 as soon as another operator has the iPhone

As for MMS - 1 MMS = 4 SMS'

It's on the website.

finatk

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
Platinum customers are randomly select individuals with an average spend of £80+ a month.

RE: Pre-Orders

All that we have been told in store, is that we are stocking the new model and we are not allowed to take any preorders over the phone.

Nothing has been released to us yet on whether they are launching it on the o2.co.uk/shop as of this time.

apple-steve

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2007
Just seen this ::: http://www.o2blueroom.co.uk/O2PriorityList/platinum/Benifits.aspx?sec=home&area=platinum

As an O2 Priority List platinum customer, if you're on an 18- or 24-month contract you can get a new phone six months early, or you can choose from:

One of our 30-day or 12-month simplicity tariffs, which offer the most minutes and texts from £10 a month, or
A credit on your bill if you don't need a new phone
And when you do renew, you can take your pick of the same offers that our new customers get. We call it Fair Deal.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
apologies if this has been answered before, but with the PAYG iPhone, is the 12 months inclusive Internet fixed to the SIM or the phone? Can I buy the PAYG iPhone and sell the sim so that the buyer gets free Internet for a year for their iPhone?

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
my o2 shop has reserved one for me.. they did this last year for some customers until o2 told them off but they had to honour the commitment to the promised customers. so on the 19th i will stroll in and collect..

oh and hand over a lot of money..

my final final decision is this.
2 contracts on 02. one my sons one mine. but both in my name.
one due upgrade now. on 45 a month tariff. will get 2 year contract.
one due upgrade in december... but will leave till next summer. and get another 2 year contract.
i then have 2 contracts on 2 years a year apart.. sounds perfect to me. no point going for 18 months in my case as would pay for the contract in last 6 months anyway. might as well get the 2 year as its cheaper on handset price..
thus enabling me to have new iphone every year, with the best deal, and have one phone up for upgrade each summer.

i need two contracts anyway so its only my 13 year old son that will suffer as he will always have my last years "cast off".
eventually i guess i should sell the one or 2...

songwriter81

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
The problem was/is the 3G launch.

If the networks had said, "...Sorry, you can't roll onto anotehr contract with us, this is a phone like all other phones ever sold..."

We would have understood, but because they didn't, they let us break contract, 99.9% of the public were expecting to do the same with the new iPhone. Myself included.

To make matters worse, they dangled this S carrot infront of our eyes, we wait for a exciting deal to get the new phone, carpet pull from underneath us.

If they are going to do it once, I think they must continue it throughout.

I cant get a reasonable priced iPhone until Jan/Feb 2010 - 4 months until a NEW one comes out...so it looks like this model and the FIFTH and SEVENTH model, will never be mine.

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
Im thinking to just buy a pay as you go & put my contract sim in it. This will be possible for me to consider if i manage to sell my albatross of a car!!! Got someone coming to see it today, its been lying unused so might be good timing!!!

I will try to put money aside for 2010 iphone also, i think i may avoid commiting to contracts, just stay on contract that i have now but not renew, just roll it on, it doesnt automatically commit u does it if u just let it run on past the contract end date??

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Just seen this ::: http://www.o2blueroom.co.uk/O2PriorityList/platinum/Benifits.aspx?sec=home&area=platinum

As an O2 Priority List platinum customer, if you're on an 18- or 24-month contract you can get a new phone six months early, or you can choose from:

One of our 30-day or 12-month simplicity tariffs, which offer the most minutes and texts from £10 a month, or
A credit on your bill if you don't need a new phone
And when you do renew, you can take your pick of the same offers that our new customers get. We call it Fair Deal.

First I've heard of this Priority List thing and I've been on apparently Silver Level contracts for the last 3 years or so.

finatk

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
Do you know the reason why there is no pre orders?

So if i want a 3gS on the 19th, i need to go to the O2 store, or will O2 online accept an order the day before at least?

Still no pre-orders guys, but come into work and have found out the new iphone Will be available online to buy aswell as all O2 Retail stores as of the 19th.

Leemo

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2006
Nottingham, UK
It should be available to pre-order on the Carphone Warehouse website later today - although from the press office people I spoke to they said they'll have lots of every model available on launch day - won't be anywhere near as bad as the shortages last time.

That was from the press office though, so take that with a pinch of salt.

-L

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
Still no pre-orders guys, but come into work and have found out the new iphone Will be available online to buy aswell as all O2 Retail stores as of the 19th.

Yeah but im assuming with online orders we can only phone ON the 19th to order it.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Im thinking to just buy a pay as you go & put my contract sim in it. This will be possible for me to consider if i manage to sell my albatross of a car!!! Got someone coming to see it today, its been lying unused so might be good timing!!!

I will try to put money aside for 2010 iphone also, i think i may avoid commiting to contracts, just stay on contract that i have now but not renew, just roll it on, it doesnt automatically commit u does it if u just let it run on past the contract end date??

I think you'd lose the unlimited Wi-Fi and Web bolt on that comes with the iPhone that way. It's a shame that PAYG costs so much too. How can the price of the 8 GB not budge and then the 3G S just piles on top of the price. Grr...

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
I think you'd lose the unlimited Wi-Fi and Web bolt on that comes with the iPhone that way. It's a shame that PAYG costs so much too. How can the price of the 8 GB not budge and then the 3G S just piles on top of the price. Grr...

yeah but i could put it on my 1st gen iphone & let my family use it for facebook & skype.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.