Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UK Thread- Which network will you get IPhone 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mroddjob

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
It seems like alot of people still want to stick their expensive O2.

I reckon coz O2 had exclusivity selling the iPhone for a long time a lot of customers joined o2 and really can't be bothered or go through the hassle changing.

Thy would get much better value for money going on three.

Three is -
Cheaper
Faster
More better coverage
More reliable
Number 1 for IPhone

me thinks he doth protest too much!

Ok, let me use your Three staff discount and I'll switch. :p

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
I'm on O2 at the moment but due to a few recent dropped calls,**** 3G in London and in other areas i frequent i'm thinking of going to Three to get the next iPhone.

Iphone3gs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
me thinks he doth protest too much!

Ok, let me use your Three staff discount and I'll switch. :p

I'm not staff.

Staff don't get discount on the iPhone as it's so cheap.

But their is other ways to receive discount.

Nus student/graduates get £3 off their monthly bill-more details on nus website.

Some corporate firms give discount I get upto £120 cashback if I buy online via my corporate discount website

psxguru

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2006
I'll get a sim free iPhone 5 and stick with my T-mobile contract - unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data and tethering.

Iphone3gs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I'll get a sim free iPhone 5 and stick with my T-mobile contract - unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data and tethering.

Sim only you still probably pay more after getting iPhone on pay as u go.

Cheaper to get contract on three

Biolizard

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
London, United Kingdom
Currently with Vodafone on an iPhone 3G; contract is up in Jan.

Tempted to go with 3, but the low price and unlimited data seems just a bit too good to be true; my bro has a Wildfire with them and says inside buildings in Central London he sometimes loses signal altogether.

Never had much of an issue with Vodafone's network so when they ring up to try and upgrade me I'll point to 3's iPhone deals and say "Match it or I'm off". Never know, might work.

Iphone3gs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Three are offering unlimited data on all their tariffs for an additional £3/month from oct 7th.

Certainly O2 can't match that.

I'm still surprised all those still staying on O2.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
It seems like alot of people still want to stick their expensive O2.

I reckon coz O2 had exclusivity selling the iPhone for a long time a lot of customers joined o2 and really can't be bothered or go through the hassle changing.

Thy would get much better value for money going on three.

Three is -
Cheaper
Faster
More better coverage
More reliable
Number 1 for IPhone

Call me crazy, but I'm guessing you quite like the three network?

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
I would love to upgrade but Orange wont let me till May next year :-( may jump to three when/if I do

I'm in same situation as you. Not eligible for an upgrade untill april 2012.

Currently on a 24 month contract with orange and got my iPhone 4 in August 2010 so I still have about 11 months left.

So people who get a new iphone every year in the uk what do you do? I still have about £385 line rental to pay. If I wanted the next iphone would I have to pay off the remaining £385 as a cancellation fee? Then start a new contract with the latest iphone? Or can't orange just sell me the next iphone or would that cost the same price as if it were on pay as you go about £600?

Last edited:

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK

Currently on a 24 month contract with orange and got my iPhone 4 in August 2010 so I still have about 11 months left.

So people who get a new iphone every year in the uk what do you do? I still have about £385 line rental to pay. If I wanted the next iphone would I have to pay off the remaining £385 as a cancellation fee? Then start a new contract with the latest iphone? Or can't orange just sell me the next iphone or would that cost the same price as if it were on pay as you go about £600?

Cancelling is like the normal cost -4%. They may sell PayG iPhones, but it'll be full price.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Cancelling is like the normal cost -4%. They may sell PayG iPhones, but it'll be full price.

hmm might just pay the cancellation fee and start a new contract with 02 instead because I have a friend that works there. If I did then that would seem like an expensive iphone 4 I had totalling £970 (had to pay £130 for the phone)

Well I don't know thats like £485 per year for 2 years which is a little less than if I bought a new pay as you go iphone each year for 2 years minus call & text expenses.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

I've been with O2 since the original iPhone. I got O2 to unlock both my 3 and 3GS whilst still on contract for free and sold them both to a colleague for £350 if I recall correctly. I had bought both on contract at a lower price, £275 and £150 respectively I believe. I bought my iPhone 4 unlocked and sim free direct from Apple at launch for £600. That meant I made a profit of £275 which I put towards the iPhone 4 which ended up costing me £325. I plan on selling my iPhone4 for £300-400 and getting the new phone unlocked and sim free from Apple. I'm going to try an avoid contracts from now on if I can.

Iphone3gs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I've been with O2 since the original iPhone. I got O2 to unlock both my 3 and 3GS whilst still on contract for free and sold them both to a colleague for £350 if I recall correctly. I had bought both on contract at a lower price, £275 and £150 respectively I believe. I bought my iPhone 4 unlocked and sim free direct from Apple at launch for £600. That meant I made a profit of £275 which I put towards the iPhone 4 which ended up costing me £325. I plan on selling my iPhone4 for £300-400 and getting the new phone unlocked and sim free from Apple. I'm going to try an avoid contracts from now on if I can.

I don't blame you wanting to avoid getting contracts after being with BUMPED O2.

Technology is getting better you would expect tariffs to get cheaper but expensive O2 increase their price and capped their data.

£35/month you used to get 600 mins now much less.

With three for £35/month you Get 2000 mins any time any network.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Value for money three is way better then tesco cheap mobile network.

First of all you get way less minutes and data is capped on tesco.
Only good thing is that you will be on 12 month contract.

Still better to get three-even if your on 24 month contract you can sell your pone off after 12 months and get iPhone outright pay as you go

You must work for three the way you are pushing their network. I am with O2 and get great reception in all the places that are important to me. At home in London, at my holiday home in Cornwall and when visiting my children's homes.

Three reception is poor where I live with very low data rates as a result and non existent at two of the other locations that are important to me.

I like their Tariffs very much but what is the point of an attractive Tariff if I cannot use it. You pay for what you get. I am on a SIM only plan with o2 and shall be buying the new phone SIM free.

Last edited:

Iphone3gs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
You must work for three the way you are pushing their network. I am with O2 and get great reception in all the places that are important to me. At home in London, at my holiday home in Cornwall and when visiting my children's homes.

Three reception is poor where I live with very low data rates as a result and non existent at two of the other locations that are important to me.

I like their Tariffs very much but what is the point of an attractive Tariff if I cannot use it. You pay for what you get. I am on a SIM only plan with o2 and shall be buying the new phone SIM free.

I DO NOT WORK FOR THREE. So you are mistaken their.

Maybe if you call up three customer service and they may be able to provide details of when they will have better reception in your area-maybe they need to build network towers around in your area. With a few request they may take into consideration

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I don't blame you wanting to avoid getting contracts after being with BUMPED O2.

Technology is getting better you would expect tariffs to get cheaper but expensive O2 increase their price and capped their data.

£35/month you used to get 600 mins now much less.

With three for £35/month you Get 2000 mins any time any network.

In all honesty the fact that you keep promoting Three like you work for them in every post is getting boring and tiring. You're beginning to sound like a broken record. Not to mention you took my comment out of context as I wasn't complaining about O2 specifically but the networks in general.

If anything Three is one of the worst with their customer service being a big joke and their coverage and reception being average at best. I was actually referring to contracts in general and being tied to 18 or 24 month contracts regardless of the network and it's quality.

Lastly in O2's favour it has one of the best customer service of all the networks and it's plans give you free Wi-Fi access at BT Open Zone and The Cloud hot spots. They also give me visual voice mail which I happen to like. For now I will probably be sticking with O2 although I might forgo my unlimited data included plan for a cheaper one with limited data.

In all honesty the fact that you keep promoting Three like you work for them in every post is getting boring and tiring. You're beginning to sound like a broken record. Not to mention you took my comment out of context as I wasn't complaining about O2 specifically but the networks in general.

If anything Three is one of the worst with their customer service being a big joke and their coverage and reception being average at best. I was actually referring to contracts in general and being tied to 18 or 24 month contracts regardless of the network and it's quality.

Lastly in O2's favour it has one of the best customer service of all the networks and it's plans give you free Wi-Fi access at BT Open Zone and The Cloud hot spots. They also give me visual voice mail which I happen to like. For now I will probably be sticking with O2 although I might forgo my unlimited data included plan for a cheaper one with limited data.

Agree - 500MB is more than enough for me - and as a three customer
can't wait to go back to o2... hate three!

Awful signal where i live - SE1 - central london!
Even worse customer services

Iphone3gs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Using my iPad 2 via iPhone 4 hotspot on three.

Quite fast.

Unlimited data allowance.
:)

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
Jesus man let it go..

You may not work for three but it's really coming across as if you are on some commission deal or have sold your sole to them :)

Three may well be best for you, but lots of people have different needs and live in places that are not reliably covered by them. Hence they pick other operators. Your endless pushing of Three is starting to get boring.

FYI I have an iPad on three and an iPhone on O2. I don't have a problem at all with Three, their data coverage is brilliant for me, but I wouldn't dream of assuming that it'll be the same for everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.