Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UK Thread- Which network will you get IPhone 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skiman

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
I too am on Three...

Been the best network Ive been with so far but the guy above is right... It certainly won't suit everyone...

In some places, Three is TERRIBLE!!!

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I am currently on three, as soon as my contract is complete however, this will not be the case.

Truly just dire, convoluted customer service and inconsistent to downright confusing billing.

There is no redeeming feature to that network aside from the unlimited data.

Iphone3gs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Macrumour forum admin-

Can you please add these 3 below in the poll please

Tesco
Giffgaff
Virgin

alflavor

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2010
Whittlesey, UK
I'll stick with Orange, will be ordering the new one the minute I can, via an upgrade from my 3GS.....

I don't get great 3G in my hometown but I can live with that as I have wi-fi at home and the pub, plus my wife is on Orange too so we get free calls between each others iPhones.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Macrumour forum admin-

Can you please add these 3 below in the poll please

Tesco
Giffgaff
Virgin

There was only space for two more choices, so I had to combine two of the additions into one - sorry.

I believe (but can't remember for sure) that you can also edit the poll, if you first choose "edit" and then "go advanced". Since I have access to edit all polls regardless, I forget.

Carry on... :)

Iphone3gs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
There was only space for two more choices, so I had to combine two of the additions into one - sorry.

I believe (but can't remember for sure) that you can also edit the poll, if you first choose "edit" and then "go advanced". Since I have access to edit all polls regardless, I forget.

Carry on... :)

Thanks Annk-I might take off virgin-and that does not seem so popular (people can vote in other for virgin network)

Now those that voted in other but wanted to vote for giffgaff or track-you can now vote for them

Iphone3gs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Do O2 give unlimited data? Is ther an extra charge.

On their contracts it states 500Mb.

Iphone3gs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Now I don't feel like getting a contract might just stick to my iPhone 4.

Incremental speed boost etc-not worth it.
I have an iPad 2 anyway.

Was hoping for a new design bigger screen

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
Cost of a 24 month comparable contract between 3 and giffgaff. 24 months is 3's minimum term. iPhone 4 16Gb model...

3 - £30 = 500 mins, 5000 texts, 500mb internet
GG - £10 = 250 mins, ultd texts, ultd internet
I know 3 offer double the minutes, but have capped texts and internet, and it's their cheapest contract that come close to comparing with GG.

3 - Phone cost = £99
GG - Phone cost = £499 (or is it £512 now with VAT increase?)

3 - £99 + (£30 x 24) = £819
GG - £499 + (£10 x £24) = £739

And if you go with 3, from a technical point of view you are on the poorer performing network. O2 (and Vodafone when they pull their finger out) are allowed to use the UMTS900 band, which requires minor modifications to their existing equipment. Three don't have any 900MHz equipment so are stuck with their 2100MHz equipment which can't really penetrate well in cities. I've got first hand experience with this UMTS900 band on Giffgaff/O2 and it makes all the difference... depending on your location. Which is ultimately what it all boils down to. Who provide the best service where you live.

Although stating Three over and over again are the cheapest is incorrect.

Iphone3gs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Cost of a 24 month comparable contract between 3 and giffgaff. 24 months is 3's minimum term. iPhone 4 16Gb model...

3 - £30 = 500 mins, 5000 texts, 500mb internet
GG - £10 = 250 mins, ultd texts, ultd internet
I know 3 offer double the minutes, but have capped texts and internet, and it's their cheapest contract that come close to comparing with GG.

3 - Phone cost = £99
GG - Phone cost = £499 (or is it £512 now with VAT increase?)

3 - £99 + (£30 x 24) = £819
GG - £499 + (£10 x £24) = £739

And if you go with 3, from a technical point of view you are on the poorer performing network. O2 (and Vodafone when they pull their finger out) are allowed to use the UMTS900 band, which requires minor modifications to their existing equipment. Three don't have any 900MHz equipment so are stuck with their 2100MHz equipment which can't really penetrate well in cities. I've got first hand experience with this UMTS900 band on Giffgaff/O2 and it makes all the difference... depending on your location. Which is ultimately what it all boils down to. Who provide the best service where you live.

Although stating Three over and over again are the cheapest is incorrect.

There are cheaper then any other contract if you compare with the one plan: £35/month-2000 anynetwork mins with unlimited data ,5000 text.

----------

Tesco is even cheaper more minutes.
Text-you will get unlimited from iOS to iOS devices anyway

£10 a month
500 mins
3000 texts
Unlimited Internet

Iphone3gs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
http://www.knowyourmobile.com/apple...snews/1079637/iphone_4s_coming_the_three.html

iPhone 4S coming to Three

Three will be stocking the Apple iPhone 4S

Three is the first network to announce it will be stocking the iPhone 4S.

We just received a call from the Three press office, although they would not comment when it would be landing or on which price plans.

According to Ars Technica, the iPhone 4S will be landing on October 14.

The iPhone 4S feature a dual core processor Apple A5 chip and will be available in 16, 32 and 64GB capacities.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
iPhone 4S coming to Three

Three will be stocking the Apple iPhone 4S

Hardly news worthy is it, just because they may have been the first* to say it's coming to them. Still doesn't make me want to switch to them.

*O2 have had an iPhone4S coming soon webpage up since yesterday - so I guess they'll be stocking it then.

thad0c15

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Orange.

Friends & family discount gone from 30% to 40% for the iPhone, can't complain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.