Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blacker-s

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
iWork and iLife

The new Garage Band won't open my files from the previous upgrade. It asks me to save them as a new name, then hangs and becomes unresponsive. It's like a federal government agency made it.

Exactly.

iWork and iLife updates... are all style and no substance.
The iWork App updates amount to a retrograde step.

The Apps are simplified to a basic level.
Locked off panels, toolbars and inspectors, with no way of personalisation.
Hidden and removed controls/options.

I am seriously annoyed that I upgraded now.

Did Apple employ ex Microsoft employees to work on these updates?
This is the sort of thing I would expect form a MS Office update.

Garageband won't update properly and I'm in some groundhog day download loop.

Very poor Apple.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Added new screenshot

We're these 'Monkey Island' sparkles always on the Launchpad when an App was updated?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 13.39.25.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 13.39.25.png
    135.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

I guess you have never upgraded to newer versions of Microsoft Office or any other Microsoft product, then. If you had, you wouldn't post something like that.

The average product for Apple's ecosystem shows a lot of graphics design and only a fistful of features. The average product for the Microsoft ecosystem has a lot of features and only very basic graphic design (if you even want to call it graphic design). Apple stuff is about "oh, this is so beautiful". Microsoft stuff is about giving power in the form of as many features as possible to its user. Those are two different galaxies.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Very generous indeed. Offering such robust apps at the price of free is going to mean tough competition for Microsoft and Google especially now that iWork has collaborative features.

No, this is absolutely no competition for Microsoft. Whoever needs an office suite for actual WORK - and not simple home use - will still buy Microsoft Office. There simply is no way around that in the professional world. Comparing iWork and Google Docs to Microsoft Office is like saying that Textedit is a competition for Microsoft Word. Get real.

What Apple did here was a simple response to Windows RT, which comes bundled with Microsoft Office RT: Outlook (since RT 8.1), Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote.

All Windows RT tablets - not just Microsoft's Surface - come with Office pre-installed. For many people this can be a killer feature. Before Microsoft's Surface, I regarded tablets as mostly useless toys. But at the pricepoint of the Surface Rt - or maybe even the underrated Acer Icona W3-810 which comes with the real Windows 8 and Office Home and Student - tablets became interesting for me. I don't care for all those touch interface stuff - it doesn't help me with what I do. But I do care for a mobile form factor on which I can still run the software that I need to get my job done. A colleague of mine bought a Surface Pro and just loves it. I'm still not completely convinced if a Windows tablet could actually be a real competition for an ultrabook, but the Surface is at least very close.

MacRum2011

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
I'm having some issue with the new app updates, i upgraded my Mountain on my iMac I got in June 2013 to Mavericks which is all fine.

I got all the updates for Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iPhoto, iMovie which is painfully spent all day updating.

The Appstore says it has updates for all the just downloaded apps, which to me wants to download them all again considering all the file sizes are the same.

The iPhoto i just downloaded has the new blueish icon, when I click 'About' it says iPhoto '11 Version 9.5 (902.7)

iMovie says Version 10.0.
Numbers says Version 3.0 (1470)
Pages says Version 5.0 (1465)
KeyNote says version 6.0 (1473)

anyone having this issue or understand it?

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I have iMovie 9.0.9 which I originally got on DVD about 3 years ago, went to update to the just released version, downloaded the nearly 2GB file only to be told I can't upgrade without paying for it because I didn't get it from the App Store. I know it's only about $16 but why should I pay when I have a valid version.

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm having some issue with the new app updates, i upgraded my Mountain on my iMac I got in June 2013 to Mavericks which is all fine.

I got all the updates for Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iPhoto, iMovie which is painfully spent all day updating.

The Appstore says it has updates for all the just downloaded apps, which to me wants to download them all again considering all the file sizes are the same.

The iPhoto i just downloaded has the new blueish icon, when I click 'About' it says iPhoto '11 Version 9.5 (902.7)

iMovie says Version 10.0.
Numbers says Version 3.0 (1470)
Pages says Version 5.0 (1465)
KeyNote says version 6.0 (1473)

anyone having this issue or understand it?

I suspect an app store glitch. I have the same versions as you.

As an aside check your applications folder as the older versions seemed to be archived in folders rather than sent to trash. I've archived the older apps to an external HDD and then deleted the archive folders from Applications.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
can someone tell me if Pages across all platforms now supports vertical margin changes.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
ability to lock objects removed in iWork for iOS?!

Has the ability to lock objects in Numbers and Pages for iOS been removed with these new updates? The option doesn't seem to be there anymore....

With touch screen interaction on a spreadsheet, this was really important....

Anyone else can't find it either?

Last edited:

MacRum2011

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
seems the GarageBand one is damaged, says to download it again. wasted over 700MB on it, so peaved.

MacRum2011

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
I suspect an app store glitch. I have the same versions as you.

As an aside check your applications folder as the older versions seemed to be archived in folders rather than sent to trash. I've archived the older apps to an external HDD and then deleted the archive folders from Applications.

I deleted the iMovie folder and the iWork 09 folder Restarted the Mac still get the updates for the same programs LOL. Retrying GarageBand now (re-downloading) since first attempted it said it was damaged.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Exactly.

Garageband won't update properly and I'm in some groundhog day download loop.

Very poor Apple.

Woah, woah, the Office UI is definitely not 'dumbed down'. >_>

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
So I've never bought iWork, I only had the trial. This morning I see I had 4 updates, and the iWork apps were 3 of them (this being a 2009 MBP, definitely not purchased after October 1, 2013.) I downloaded them and looked at them... definitely not trials. What gives? Not that I'm complaining!

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Exactly.

Very poor Apple.

I agree. Pages and Keynote are utterly disappointing. Both apps have the feel, and limitations, of web-apps now. You were always able to do these little, yet important things to make the software really powerful. Moving pages around, creating multiple inspector windows, changing the toolbar to your needs. Every personalisation and workflow is now gone. Some of the things I do in Pages have become unnecessarily cumbersome, like changing the document language (actually have not found a way to do that). Some features are now missing too. No more fullscreen view in Pages (without the controls) and outline view seems to be gone too. Every Keynote document I opened so far had to be converted, because some things were missing, mostly animations.

It would have been great if these changes were offset with new features. But I can't find anything new. It's mostly the same software. Referencing is still a pain, no (default) formatting for footnotes, no way to format tiered lists properly, no wat to set table cell margins per side (you can only choose one value for all sides), you still can't add margins to tables to separate it from body text. I am still looking for a good alternative to MS Office, but this update hasn't brought us any step closer. Disappointing. Luckily I have still the old apps, I expected something like this to happen.

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
Community college because I'm smart. :D for now

The community college route is a smart option for a lot of careers. Good for you! :) BTW... Did you see that everyone who has previously purchased iLife and iWork (even on DVD) are eligible for the free updates? Apparently there is simply a bug, but it appears Mavericks is required. Hopefully Apple will resolve the problem soon.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Apple has removed most scripting support from iWork '13. And Numbers is no closer to being a replacement for Excel.

I guess it was probably too much to ask from Apple to essentially be addressing the enterprise. For most casual users Numbers is enough and iWork '13 should take some Office 365 customers away.

AppleScript has peaked and seems to be on its way out though :(

regarding applescript is that based on the new iwork or mavericks as well?

i think you can forget about apple ever trying to make iwork for the enterprise. they are pretty cool and suit some peoples needs but rather limited products and based on their history i doubt that will change that. i wish google implemented all the design guides that iwork has.

how is the new imovie? from the pictures it seems have gone somewhat back to the imovie 06 version

truelies

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
Moment before I was about to shell out the cash for the new iWork apps for OS X, all three showed up as free updates. My 09 suite was installed via disc a couple of years ago. Thanks Apple!! I registered my software under the same email as my Apple ID, so maybe that helped. Check before you buy.

Any way to get old edition and get a free update?

MacRum2011

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
got my garageband up and running after the install of essential pack, its nice to see garageband now able to use the logic pro x instruments (if you have logic installed).

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
regarding applescript is that based on the new iwork or mavericks as well?

i think you can forget about apple ever trying to make iwork for the enterprise. they are pretty cool and suit some peoples needs but rather limited products and based on their history i doubt that will change that. i wish google implemented all the design guides that iwork has.

how is the new imovie? from the pictures it seems have gone somewhat back to the imovie 06 version

It's the iWork suite that has been stripped of most scripting support. From what I've read it's Apple's lack of support for AppleScript that has many third party developers dropping support too. Not good if you like AppleScript.

I don't believe there is any change in AppleScript with Mavericks per se though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.