Updated Versions of iWork and iLife Begin Appearing on the App Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 22, 2013.

1. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

You're thinking of iLife 11. iWork has not be updated since the 09 version, until today.

2. flylib macrumors newbie

So delete Pages 09' then install the new one and leave the other 2 iWork 09 apps on my machine since I don't want to update those?

3. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

So two apps from iLife get updated for free how about for people with iWork 09 Disks? No one is going to pay $60 how about a bundle pack special?

4. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Buy it at the store. What did you think I meant?

----------

THANK YOU! And people say im complaining. Glade someone agrees.

5. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Would that work?

6. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

Garage Band is now a free app for all Mavericks users. iMovie and iPhoto are still paid apps. If you did not purchase them from the Mac App Store initially, you will not be able to upgrade to the new versions without paying.

7. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

If you search Garageband it shows that it is free. I already have to downloaded though so it seems like it is a new app maybe? or its just early

8. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

It was better when you had to purchase on DVD to install it special pricing now in app store so they try to rip you off with separate prices, yeah good job Apple I think everyone deserves a free upgrade or make the old iWorks still compatible for people who cannot afford it at the moment.

9. MacGod macrumors regular

MacGod

Yeah - not a fan of this.

I am a dedicated Mac user and love iWorks and iLife and while I was hesitant at the "free with new purchase" tag on the live press release today, I am sad to say that this may be where it ends.

My MAS app should be able to scan my system and verify my iWorks installation. I paid like $80 for it when it was released and now I have to pay another $60.

Not very cool, but I guess that is what we should expect by now.

10. seattle29 macrumors member

I have iPhoto and iMove installed from the DVD, and they're updating free of charge through the App Store right now...

11. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

iPhone and iMovie come free on all Macs I thought. I know I didnt pay for it and its on my mac.

12. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Pages is crippled as I feared:

- Page Layout is dead
    - No alignment guides
    - Pages cannot be rearranged

NOT HAPPY. This feels like the FCP X update.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

13. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Interesting... Hope this happens with iWork. Maybe we are all being impatient

----------

Glad I have people on my side.

14. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

Garage band, iMovie, and iPhoto are all apart of iLife which has been free for Mac users since before I got my first Mac (late 2010).

Granted the iOS version have been charged apps but not for Macs.

15. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

I might be wrong, but the old versions don't break? Just carrying on using them. Apple don't 'owe' you perpetual upgrades. Nor does it entitle you to 'wink wink' download software illegally you don't feel like paying for.

16. Tmelon macrumors 65816

It's odd that iBooks, Podcasts and the other Apple apps still haven't been updated. I had assumed that was what they were referring to when they said in the keynote about how there would be 20+ updates today.

17. MauerFan macrumors regular

It still shows these apps as $20? :confused: Why does it say they're $14.99 a piece?

18. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Except that it appears once you open a file on your phone, it is no longer compatible with the non updated iWork. That's a little sneaky...

Edit: It does appear to warn you of that fact, however; still kind of sucks.

19. RJCP macrumors 6502

Hmm, this isn't good. So it won't let you update the '09 version of iWork but if you have iWork on your iOS device, iOS and auto update enabled, they'll update. Then you'll be screwed because if you open and work on any documents on the new iWork you won't be able to open them again on your Mac.
    They'll work in the iCloud website but not on the Mac iWork suite.

This isn't good at all.

20. tvstimmyg macrumors newbie

Garageband Killed Podcast Support!

Tried to fire up a podcast project in the new Garageband. Unfortunately, for some reason, Apple has decided to no longer support podcast creation! You get an alert asking you to open it in 6.0.5 instead. Where's the love for podcasters??? Wow! Yet another slap to free media creators. Guess I'll be moving to something else. Any suggestions?

21. henriknorem macrumors member

I'm updating my iOS apps right now, but Apple want me to pay for the Pages update. I have obviously paid money for the app on a previous occasion. Is there something I've missed or is it just a bug?

22. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

I think some of the issue is simply confusion over what seems to be a bungled roll-out (things not in the store promptly, iOS app prices changing in the store seemingly before my eyes, etc.). The other issue is that a person who paid full price for a disc version is treated differently than a person who paid full price for a MAS version.

Wouldn't it have just simply been cleaner and easier to say "free for any computer capable of running it" this time and let it go at that?

Is Apple really looking to up its quarterly financials with iWork purchases from those whose Macs have been around long enough to have iWork 09 on a disc but who pre-dated the MAS? I doubt Apple will care or even notice this miniscule revenue on its bottom line.

So why not just let this update be free for everyone, and know that from now on, things will be much more controllable because the purchase place will consistently be the App Store.

And while I agree that Apple doesn't "owe" anyone an upgrade, a theme of today's software rollout is that Apple does seem to believe that free software updates are the way of the future. It really seems silly to segregate users who bought this software on a disc and say that they can't jump on this free train that Apple is conducting full steam ahead.

23. 2268473 Suspended

How can I get the new Garageband for free, but have to pay for the others? :confused:

24. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

For garageband I had to use the appstore link, see first post

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Think you guys have it bad ? Ha !

I have numbers installed but I can't update it nor can I purchase it.

Gotta love Apple.