Updated Versions of iWork and iLife Begin Appearing on the App Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 22, 2013.

1. SgtPepper12 macrumors 6502a

SgtPepper12

DO NOT update the iOS 7 Garage Band App. I updated the App and now I can't open my old projects, because some of the instruments I used are not installed any longer. The App is asking me to purchase them. So you are basically forced to buy the app twice.

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

This

It appears that for whatever reason, they made it free with a 4.99 upgrade, very much like the iOS version. Why that one is cheaper by 67% than the other two is beyond me.

3. seattle29 macrumors member

Wait until tomorrow, it will probably be fixed.

4. sseaton1971 macrumors 6502

sseaton1971

If you think the functionality of Google Docs is on par with what Apple offers, then, yes, you should stay with Google Docs! ;)

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

So after buying every iLife version boxed (a total of $463!) and every iWork version and all iOS apps, I don't get the apps free, yet someone who bought them last year on the MAS does.

Great way to keep loyal customers happy, Apple.

And to top it all off, I edited a presentation on my updated iOS app and now I can't open it on my computer! Basically rendering all iOS apps useless.

Not happy.

6. Stuipdboy1000 macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

I've managed to update all the iWork and iLife apps on my iPhone and iPad apart from Pages. Looks like it could be a bug at the moment.

7. mw360 macrumors 68000

mw360

How is it obvious you paid money for it? Only apps bought through the MAS will get a free update.

8. MacGod macrumors regular

MacGod

FYI

"Pages is free on the Mac App Store for qualifying Mac computers purchased on or after October 1, 2013. OS X Mavericks required. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID."

Not sure how they will calculate those purchased AFTER October 1, 2013 - so people who purchased within past 3 weeks, you should get it for free.

9. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

The new iWork apps now fully support Right-To-Left languages!!!

This is a huge, huge deal for anyone who this concerns. You seriously have NO idea how big this is.

10. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

The Garageband in App store if you search it shows it is for Free but when you download it it does not replace the old one wtf?

11. mw360 macrumors 68000

mw360

Did you previously buy GB through the Mac App Store?

12. MauerFan macrumors regular

Audacity.

13. Shishu macrumors member

It appears that iLife is free for mid 2013 Airs no matter when you purchased your Air.

14. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

iMovie for iOS now says Native support for AVCHD video, does this mean I can edit it and create a movie from AVCHD footage from my camera, without having to convert it to Quicktime format. This is the one reason I stopped using iMovie and went to Premiere Elements because the editing of AVCHD was such a pain.
    In Premiere elements I can open the native AVCHD file, crop etc and export in seconds, but with iMovie I have to import....wait....then edit and export, then delete the massive imported file.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What. You mean like this ? LOL

:D

Attached Files:

16. sseaton1971 macrumors 6502

sseaton1971

Count yourself blessed if you only have $8K in student loans! ;)

17. MacGod macrumors regular

MacGod

UPDATE:

I had to re-login into the AppStore and then I checked my PURCHASES and Garageband (already listed as free) and the updated iMovie and iPhoto showed up.

Still no iWorks love.
    Bill

18. henriknorem macrumors member

Well, I said iOS, didn't I?

19. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

Ok, that sucks. But still. For programs you use every day? I don't see the huge deal. Surely everyone had 20-30 bucks put aside for mavericks? Use that toward the apps you use?

It's little like me whining my DVD player doesn't support blu/rays. Waghh. Give me free stuff. I bought that in good faith years ago

Everyone does realise that when people bought iWork 09 on disc (myself included) the iPad wasn't even out. You're essentially arguing, hey
    Apple, I insist the software I bought 4 years ago be updated for free to work with my new device that wasn't even released at the time of me buying it.

20. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

Yes, what gives? Apple what is going on here I guess I will have to delete the old one manually tsp tsk.

21. SgtPepper12 macrumors 6502a

SgtPepper12

I mean the iOS App, not the Mac App.

22. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

That's interesting. I installed all three applications from the DVD, and iPhoto and iMovie are showing as $14.99 in the App Store. GarageBand is the only one listed for free.

23. mw360 macrumors 68000

mw360

Oh yeah, so you do. I suggest waiting to see if it straightens out later.

24. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Since you were screwed, i.e. they broke your presentation file which you absolutely need (wink wink), perhaps you should simply go buy a comp, associate the new iWork/iLife apps with your Apple ID, then return the comp since it didn't meet your needs. Now you have the apps for free. A lot of trouble I admit, but at least then you could get your presentation file working again once you've installed the new suites.

Thanks for warning us of the risks involve with only update some of the apps; I'll know not to update my iOS apps until I buy my new 13" MBP in December since I won't be updating the OS X apps until then.

PS: Anyone know if a fresh-install of OS X on a newly partitioned disk makes the apps available? (same question for iOS; though I have them on iOS on another Apple ID, it would be cool if the trick works so that I can port them over to my current Apple ID without having to pay for the convenience).

25. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Sounds like that's exactly what it means.