Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Finally got it updated and....

everyone who doesn't have the updated iWork, don't feel bad. This UI is very pretty but it seems like a step backwards.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
The App Stores are definitely wonky right now. iOS App Store won't detect my purchased copy of Pages to be updated, and relaunching the Mac App Store resulted in unusable tabs. Pages is still showing up as a full purchase for me, while iWork '09 is installed.

Oddly enough, when I first opened my iWorks 09 programs (installed from disks) the splash screen said an update was available, sent me to the App store but then no upgrades appeared. Very odd...

Update: This Am got notification I had 3 updates - iWorks. Updated them - the update does not delete the old ones, BTW. Very nice of Apple. Now, if I could just get Mail to setup...

Last edited:

MauerFan

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
I just spoke with an online Apple rep and they said the iWork prices didn't change for Mac OS. :confused::confused:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I am not complaining that it went down in price, just complaining about the lack of update.

If you bought the iPhone 5s from Best Buy last month, and I buy it today from Apple, would it be fair for me to get a free update to iOS 8 and you still stuck on iOS 7? Even though we both have the iPhone 5s?

I'm not saying it's fair, I agree that it isn't.

It isn't that much of an update in terms of GUI (at least for Pages)

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
I had the DVD version installed and I reluctantly already paid for the MAS versions to maintain compatibility with the new iOS versions. I wonder if there's any way I can get a refund for that.

Sure is! Email apple and they'll refund you for sure.

I just spoke with an online Apple rep and they said the iWork prices didn't change for Mac OS. :confused::confused:

I don't know why this site has them wrong but they're the same price.

If I bought an iPhone 5s and was awarded the free iWork apps, can I download them for free on my retina macbook pro?

I guess Im asking, since my appleid has them available for download on my phone, shouldnt they be available for download in the mac appstore?

thanks

Different platforms so no.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Unfortunately, there will be people like myself who bought iLife 11 on DVD before it was available in the Mac app store that will probably have to repurchase it all over again.

Or even worse, people who were really stupid and/or naive and purchased Aperture 3 on CD for $200.00. We may also get screwed.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
What about those of us who received iLife '11 already installed with our Macs when we bought them; are we still eligible for the free upgrades?

saqibhasan

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
What if this is a troll?

exactly what i'm thinking since the guy i spoke to told me life sucks. (he actually said 'well I had to pay for it too so I know how you feel' and then claimed that he doesn't get an employee discount while working for Apple) - this was on chat via the apple website.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
exactly what i'm thinking since the guy i spoke to told me life sucks. (he actually said 'well I had to pay for it too so I know how you feel' and then claimed that he doesn't get an employee discount while working for Apple) - this was on chat via the apple website.

I was told the same thing, then the rep I spoke to got in contact with someone in charge of iApps. (Those thats are involved with the update process of iWork and iLife) Peter, the guy I spoke with, told me they have been dealing with this problem all afternoon and have received dozens of calls. They are working on it and will hopefully have it fixed within 72 hours. He said he is having the same problem because he also purchased the retail box. He gave me his email address and said he would keep in touch with me via email throughout the next few days until its taken care of.

I also started off with chatting with Apple Support, they then called me and transferred me around a few times. I have never trolled before, I have no reason to.

Yannin28

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
Chicago, IL
I was told the same thing, then the rep I spoke to got in contact with someone in charge of iApps. (Those thats are involved with the update process of iWork and iLife) Peter, the guy I spoke with, told me they have been dealing with this problem all afternoon and have received dozens of calls. They are working on it and will hopefully have it fixed within 72 hours. He said he is having the same problem because he also purchased the retail box. He gave me his email address and said he would keep in touch with me via email throughout the next few days until its taken care of.

I also started off with chatting with Apple Support, they then called me and transferred me around a few times. I have never trolled before, I have no reason to.

Should we just wait a few days before buying the App Store version then?

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free on the Mac App Store for qualifying Mac computers purchased on or after October 1, 2013. OS X Mavericks required. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

Seems if you bought the new iMac when it came out you are out of luck, but if you waited 1 week you get free software. :cool:

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
If I bought an iPhone 5s and was awarded the free iWork apps, can I download them for free on my retina macbook pro?

I guess Im asking, since my appleid has them available for download on my phone, shouldnt they be available for download in the mac appstore?

thanks

No. They are separate apps.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I had the DVD version installed and I reluctantly already paid for the MAS versions to maintain compatibility with the new iOS versions. I wonder if there's any way I can get a refund for that.

I think you might. If you contact Apple support, they should be able to help you. I suggest you wait a couple of days to see whether you would have gotten an upgrade too.

pearvsapple

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2012
Good to see Apple finally focusing on productivity for iOS, which used to be a mere toy for web browsing, cheap softwares, and flash games. It's still not near the level of Office yet, but keep working.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Should we just wait a few days before buying the App Store version then?

I wouldn't buy the new one at all if I were you. All they said was please be patient. They have to make the MAS recognize the DVD copy of the software.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Also no iWork updates for me (DVD version). Of course they'll fix this problem too. Just be patient. Why pay again for the same thing?

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
The new iWork apps look really great. I love the new UI. :) iPhoto hasn't really changed much... except for the icon.

RyanKohl

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011

thanks

No, iOS app and Mac app purchases are kept separate on iCloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.