Updated Versions of iWork and iLife Begin Appearing on the App Store

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Folks just by way of mention if update is not lifting for iWorks Apps you are entitled to then if you go into the App itself i.e. open up pages it notifies you there is a free update.
It notifies you of an update, but the update is not free.

dporter15

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2013
Hey guys maybe it was just me being dumb and something I simply overlooked but previously when I checked the MAS all of the apps had $19.99 and such next to them and even when I checked for updates, they still didn't update. So i was looking at the main page and noticed that for some odd reason I wasn't signed and once I signed it, voila. Hopefully this can at least help some of you guys out.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Are you seriously complaining at spending a few bucks to update years old software? Geez why don't you take the money you'd put aside for mavericks and use that to buy iWork? Or were you planning on ripping that off too.. 'Wink, wink
I paid $79 to get iWork years ago for my Mac.
Why is it that people who bought it years later (mind you, it is the same version), at a cheaper price, get to update to the new version for free.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Just Got an iPhone 5s for my wife this morning, (before the announcements) so it downloaded and installed the "old versions" how will the updates appear, does anyone know?
Go to the updates section of the App Store

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Why? If you purchased iLife '11 thru MAS it's free, otherwise you gotta pay to get to the most recent version.

Not this wahhhh I'm running software from 2009 and I want a free upgrade to the newest and latest
Condescension is so juvenile.

The version of iWork that I have on my Mac is the same version that can be purchased from the Mac App Store. Therefore there is absolutely no reason that I should have to repurchase the exact same apps and the exact same versions of those apps just to be able to upgrade. They are the same.

Apple is basically saying that despite having purchased their productivity suite on DVD, you have to repurchase the same apps from our Mac App Store in order to upgrade. That is ridiculous.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I paid $79 to get iWork years ago for my Mac.
Why is it that people who bought it years later (mind you, it is the same version), at a cheaper price, get to update to the new version for free.
Because the people who bought it later lucked into buying the MAS version. It could be worse, you could have bought a tablet just to have it go down in price by 100$ about 2 weeks after you bought it.

Either it's worth 60$ to get all three or it isn't. It's unfair, but so's life.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Unfortunately, when you click update, it doesn't (for me at least). It opens the MAS and shows no new updates available.
I'm still hoping this is a launch day bug. They don't discriminate specific types of "existing users" anywhere and updating some of my iWork apps on my iphone was iffy.

I really hope they'll allow people who bought iWork on CD to get updated. It's ridiculous if they don't. What's the difference between someone who got iWork '09 from a CD and someone who got it from MAS?
Either no one pays or everybody pays. As it is, it's not fair.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Condescension is so juvenile.

The version of iWork that I have on my Mac is the same version that can be purchased from the Mac App Store. Therefore there is absolutely no reason that I should have to repurchase the exact same apps and the exact same versions of those apps just to be able to upgrade. They are the same.
Exactly! I'm still hoping it is a launch day fail... I've turned off auto update on my phone before it updates pages which is where I have most of my work.
If you open a document on the new versions, it won't open in the old ones. You'll be limited to using the iWork in the iCloud website.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
The Garageband in App store if you search it shows it is for Free but when you download it it does not replace the old one wtf?
What. You mean like this ? LOL

:D
I had that and the same for one of the iLife apps as well. Manually deleted.
iPhoto & iMovie show up as free upgrades for me, with a July purchase date on the purchases tab in the App Store. That must be the date when I "accepted" these apps in the MAS after purchasing my latest Mac.

Wouldn't the iPhoto/iMovies updates be supposed to be a paid upgrade for me? (Not that I complain) :confused:
You got free copies of iLife when you bought your laptop so these are free upgrades for all that own it.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
Tonbridge, UK
iTunes updated too

iTunes has received a minor update for extra languages and stability too. Now at 11.1.2

This version adds support for Arabic and Hebrew, and improves performance and stability.

Also anyone finding they are locked out of most of garageband despite having bought it ages ago, restore from purchases works like a charm :)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
Just got off the phone with Apple. iWork '09 retail box purchases will receive the update. They are aware of the bug and just ask us to be patient. We will get it for free!

Putting in bold just so everyone sees it.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Because the people who bought it later lucked into buying the MAS version. It could be worse, you could have bought a tablet just to have it go down in price by 100$ about 2 weeks after you bought it.

Either it's worth 60$ to get all three or it isn't. It's unfair, but so's life.
I am not complaining that it went down in price, just complaining about the lack of update.

If you bought the iPhone 5s from Best Buy last month, and I buy it today from Apple, would it be fair for me to get a free update to iOS 8 and you still stuck on iOS 7? Even though we both have the iPhone 5s?

Jab00

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Boulder,CO
Just got off the phone with Apple. iWork '09 retail box purchases will receive the update. They are aware of the bug and just ask us to be patient. We will get it for free!

that is great news! should the update for iMovie and iPhoto be free for those of us that have iLife '11 too? because mine still wants me to pay :(

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011

I had the DVD version installed and I reluctantly already paid for the MAS versions to maintain compatibility with the new iOS versions. I wonder if there's any way I can get a refund for that.

vitog123

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
If I bought an iPhone 5s and was awarded the free iWork apps, can I download them for free on my retina macbook pro?

I guess Im asking, since my appleid has them available for download on my phone, shouldnt they be available for download in the mac appstore?

thanks