Updated Versions of iWork and iLife Begin Appearing on the App Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 22, 2013.

1. seattle29 macrumors member

I'm sure it's a bug as they've just been released; try again tomorrow.

2. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Its a bug.

Had the same error and eventually it allowed me to update without repurchasing the app.

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I think the point of the matter is that people who bought it on disk paid $80 USD for it. No one was asking for a free upgrade, honestly, we were just asking for an upgrade. Then Apple say's "Oh hey, it's a free upgrade" and you go to download it and you have to pay for the upgrade, despite the fact that you already bought it, just because you didn't buy it in the Mac App Store.

If Apple didn't say it would be a free upgrade, there would be no complaints here. Well, there would be fewer complaints.

And from their own press release
    No where do they differentiate how it was purchased.

4. AppliedMicro macrumors 6502a

5. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

I'm seeing this, too. All my other iLife and iWork apps have auto-updated, on both my iPhone and iPad, but Pages doesn't want to play ball. Perhaps we need to wait a bit...

6. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

7. RMo, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Are you sure? Because I have GarageBand from iLife '09 installed on my Mac, and GarageBand is showing up as "Free" in the Mac App Store. The rest of iLife appears to be $14.99 for me, but that's probably because I never installed them on my Mac.

I can't actually test to see if it works because I'm still running 10.8 and these all apparently require 10.9, but that's what the MAS is telling me for the price.

EDIT: Thanks for pointing out that GarageBand for OS X is now free. For some reason, I read it as only iOS before.

8. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

No, sadly that is just because Garageband is now free (with a 4.99 upgrade).

9. Cougarcat macrumors 604

GarageBand is free for everyone. (I think because it has IAPs)

10. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

The App Stores are definitely wonky right now. iOS App Store won't detect my purchased copy of Pages to be updated, and relaunching the Mac App Store resulted in unusable tabs. Pages is still showing up as a full purchase for me, while iWork '09 is installed.

[​IMG]

11. zedsdead macrumors 68040

You can even reorganize pages IN PAGES!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Damn APPLE! Really? I am a very loyal Apple guy, but I HATE when they cripple software. Drives me crazy.

I am a Professional Pages/Keynote user. I use it DAILY for many documents, and I may not be able to use the new Pages because of the lack of alignment guides and page layout support.

I haven't explored Keynote yet, but I am equally worried about that.

12. AppliedMicro macrumors 6502a

iPhoto & iMovie show up as free upgrades for me, with a July purchase date on the purchases tab in the App Store. That must be the date when I "accepted" these apps in the MAS after purchasing my latest Mac.

Wouldn't the iPhoto/iMovies updates be supposed to be a paid upgrade for me? (Not that I complain) :confused:

13. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Where are you seeing this statement? This is a big deal for me (I shoot my home movies with a Sony RX100 camera) and I'm not seeing this statement anywhere.

14. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

I have iWork and iLife installed from CD/DVD.

Upgrading to the latest iLife apps was free. Cool!
    No so for iWork. It says I need to buy it again...

"Keynote 5.3 is already installed and was not purchased from the Mac App Store.

Do you want to buy Keynote 6.0?"

15. RyanKohl macrumors newbie

I have the iWork '09 disks and when I open them on Mavericks, I get this dialog but it still won't let me download the update...

Attached Files:

16. roccobladr macrumors 6502

Is there an actual update for GarageBand? Or do we have to redownload the new "free" version?

17. ersatzplanet macrumors member

At the bottom of the iWorks page in small print is says that you have to ave bought your new Mac since October 1st. to get the updates free.

18. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Figured out how to turn on alignment guides thankfully. Not sure why they aren't on by default.

19. rchip macrumors regular

Weird, I only had a trial version of Pages from the mac app store - when they used to do trials. It's allowed me to download the new Pages ... Just opened it up and it's working. Cool I guess, I don't know how that's happened! I'm an accidental software thief. So yes, app store definitely wonky at the moment.

20. Tech198 macrumors G5

ah.. GarageBand band now looks more like a GPS finder.. How is the GUI exactly looking better ?

21. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'ma join in the moaning. This is ridiculous Apple. Why are you forcing us to pay for the same product again? I spend my life in a word processor and this makes my G4 more useful than my MacBook.

22. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Well, my iOS App Store wouldn't detect Numbers and Pages to update, so I launched the apps themselves and each app prompted me that a new version of each were available. It sent me directly to the app's page on the App Store, and I just clicked "Update."

Now, if we could get iWork on the Mac done, I'll be all set.

23. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Professional Pages user? What do you do?! Have you considered using LaTeX or something that may be more appropriate for actual typesetting if that is, in fact, what you do?

24. Bluethree macrumors regular

Bluethree

Force Update

Folks just by way of mention if update is not lifting for iWorks Apps you are entitled to then if you go into the App itself i.e. open up pages it notifies you there is a free update.

25. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

I had to redownload the free version, as mine was installed from a DVD.

Source: http://www.apple.com/creativity-apps/mac/