Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

flocked

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2008
I have a MacBook Pro 13" 2015. I got a Samsung 970 with this small adapter: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B073F9LDD5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 When moving my macbook and especially touching the bottom of my macbook, it often got kernel crashes. The ssd also often switched between 2x and 4x lanes…

I later bought the ST-NGFF2013-C thanks to this thread and since then no more crashing. :) Very happy. I only feel the macbook loses around 1-2 hours of battery compared to the original apple ssd. Is there a a m2 ssd with less power usage?

ponta pon pon

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
I have a MacBook Pro 13" 2015. I got a Samsung 970 with this small adapter: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B073F9LDD5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 When moving my macbook and especially touching the bottom of my macbook, it often got kernel crashes. The ssd also often switched between 2x and 4x lanes…

I later bought the ST-NGFF2013-C thanks to this thread and since then no more crashing. :) Very happy. I only feel the macbook loses around 1-2 hours of battery compared to the original apple ssd. Is there a a m2 ssd with less power usage?

Which is your written 'Samsung 970', EVO or PRO?
How much does the temperature of the bottom of your MB reach by SSD heating?

whg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Switzerland
Thank you for the information, by your research, is there a better option than the Intel 760p SDD which gives faster (write & read) speeds and that is compatible with the MacBook Pro 15 2015?
I selected the 760p for its low power requirement, not for speed. I made my choice after reading this thread, and I'm happy with the performance. The other option with low power requirement (ADATA ?) was not locally available with 2TB.

Reactions: polanskiman

amenjas

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2018
India
Hi @amenjas, I am mainly a MacPro user so need a little help with two MacBook Air 2015.

1. Can you share the url of the adapter you have ordered on the sintech website?
Is it this one? http://eshop.sintech.cn/ngff-m2-pcie-ssd-card-as-2013-2014-2015-macbook-ssd-p-1139.html

2. About the ssd: I am using a Samsung 970evo 500gb on my MacPro and I love it, but isn't it too hot for a thin laptop?
To put it in another way, does your Air stay at an acceptable temperature? (the Airs are used as normal laptops, browsing, email etc)

3. did you have to change some spleep/hybernate setting?

tia

Answers:

1. Yes this is the same adapter which I ordered.

2. If you are using laptop as normal way like browsing/ email/ or for normal daily use then 970evo is not much producing heat but performance is noticeable. Little bit warmness with normal usage at bottom but not heat!!. I havn't hear any fan noise since two days of normal use. But Fans noise comes into play only during rendering 30 mins file in iMovie. This same scenario was also seen with normal Apple SSD. I have installed windows 10 pro and Mac OS Mojave both.

3. no I have not change any setting

4 battery usage in normal lid down mode was 5% in 7hrs 30 mins.

grame89

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
Any news here? I'm experiencing exact the same problem here. Early 2015 MBP 13". Upgraded the SDD with a Samsung Evo 970 and this adapter here:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0788CKXJZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everything works fine, except the high battery drain when I just close the lid of the macbook. I also noticed the higher battery usage while using the macbook the first few days. Should come from reindexing and after some days it stopped and battery drain was back to normal. I think reindexing should not happen at the time when the mac should sleep? Don't know what to do now. Maybe I try a clean install without time machine backup. SMC and NVRAM reset did not change anything. Little bit annoying as everything is good except the battery drain.

Got some news here:
After a clean install without any backup from TM the macbook sleeps very well without any interruption during night. Sadly it still looses too much battery.

What I could find in the logs is that it doesn't go to hibernation. As it's a early 2015 model hibernation should not be the problem. With a clean os I don't know why it shouldn't go from sleep to hibernation.

Somebody reached hibernation with an EVO 970?

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I think you can use this one: http://eshop.sintech.cn/usb-30-28pin-nvme-ssd-adapter-for-ssd-from-2016-macbook-pro-p-1279.html
[doublepost=1540472638][/doublepost]

it is clearly no enough space for the enclosure.

You're probably right that the enclosure can't be closed afterwards, but at least it's a home for the Apple SSD, which is a pretty expensive high powered piece of hardware and deserves to be used.
[doublepost=1540552803][/doublepost]
I've been using the Sintech rev. C adapter with a 500gb 960 Evo for the last 7 months or so without any issues but ever since upgrading to Mojave I have run into constant lockups and kernel panics. Has anyone else had problems since upgrading to the latest version of macOS?

I'm on an early 2015 Retina MBP and getting those 500gb of storage is a great improvement in general usability. I really prefer this MacBook over any of the new stupid touch-bar ones

I haven't done my installation yet, but feedback on this thread has been that it works better if you install Mojave from scratch rather than doing an upgrade. I guess you could do a TM backup to a spare SSD, wipe the 960, install Mojave, fully update it, then restore from the TM.
[doublepost=1540552922][/doublepost]

Feedback is that you need Kapon tape on the small adaptor to insulate it. I got some & I'm going to tape mine & the inside of the bay wherever theres any exposed metal.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

From the Amazon image, it looks like the adapter doesn't have any kapton tape to prevent the adapter's metal contacts from touching the metal shield over the logic board's SSD slot. Did you try the adapter after applying Kapton tape? I have an early 2015 Air and could only get x2. After applying Kapton tape, I was able to get x4.

Reactions: mbosse and TokMok3

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
I selected the 760p for its low power requirement, not for speed. I made my choice after reading this thread, and I'm happy with the performance. The other option with low power requirement (ADATA ?) was not locally available with 2TB.

Thank you for the information.
[doublepost=1540582542][/doublepost]
I have hibernate mode 25 running very well on my MBP 2015 15" mid...

Could you share the link for the adapter? I'm interested in this upgrade now that Black Friday is around the corner.

How does the machine perform after the upgrade?

Thank you in advance.

ponta pon pon

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
My environment is MBPr15 Late 2013, so there is an upper limit on speed about SSD, so what I want to prioritize is that it will not get hot, the operation is stable, keeping normal battery life, and the capacity is 1 TB. The adapter I have is rev.C.
Which of the following would you recommend?

ADATA: XPG SX 8200
Sandisk: ExtremePro
Intel: SSD 760p
Intel: SSD 660p
SAMSUNG: 960 EVO

Last edited:

flemmingdjensen

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2017
Denmark

markintosh13

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2018
For anyone in Canada, the SX8200 960GB is on sale for the next few days, for $264.00 Cdn

I use one in my MBPr Late 2013 with the JSER adapter
Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 6.35.37 PM.png

amenjas

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2018
India
I suggest that you should use this sintech one. Latest one which they are shiiping now , has pins already insulated . The pics which they are showing on site is different. http://eshop.sintech.cn/ngff-m2-pcie-ssd-card-as-2013-2014-2015-macbook-ssd-p-1139.html
[doublepost=1540648534][/doublepost]
This is the adapter I ordered for my Intel 760p 1TB:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CWWAENG

I suggest that you should use this sintech one. Latest one which they are shiiping now , has pins already insulated . The pics which they are showing on site is different. http://eshop.sintech.cn/ngff-m2-pcie-ssd-card-as-2013-2014-2015-macbook-ssd-p-1139.html

Reactions: TokMok3

hihearme

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2018
Got some news here:
After a clean install without any backup from TM the macbook sleeps very well without any interruption during night. Sadly it still looses too much battery.

What I could find in the logs is that it doesn't go to hibernation. As it's a early 2015 model hibernation should not be the problem. With a clean os I don't know why it shouldn't go from sleep to hibernation.

Somebody reached hibernation with an EVO 970?

While I am not using EVO 970 I have encountered similar issue. I am on MBP 13" early 2015, using Sintech rev B adapter and ADATA SX8200. After a clean install I had battery drain of ~30% overnight. After checking pmset -g I realized my "standbydelay" (high and low) were set to very large numbers (>28800) which means the computer will only hibernate after 8h. Changed both to 3600 and now the MBP will hibernate after 1h, and battery consumption is now ~3% overnight.
[doublepost=1540655665][/doublepost]
Alright. Reporting here 3 days later and sad to say that the battery life while in deep sleep (hibernation) has not improved so it's definitely not a "reindexing" issue.

Still loosing about 15% overnight and 15% during the day.

I have a similar issue and was able to resolve it by setting the standbydelay to lower values. See my post above.

mad cow disease

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2005
The screw provided for the Sintech adapter is way too short When using with a XPG SX8200. There is not nearly enough space for it to hold down the SSD AND the adapter.

People are talking about the SSD bowing but that’s assuming that the screw will reach the hole. In my case it is about 3mm too short.

Antonnn

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2016
I realized my "standbydelay" (high and low) were set to very large numbers (>28800) which means the computer will only hibernate after 8h. Changed both to 3600 and now the MBP will hibernate after 1h, and battery consumption is now ~3% overnight.

Thank you! Will Try this in conjunction with
sudo pmset -b tcpkeepalive 0.

I loose about 20% overnight, just checked the settings on mine and the standbydelayhigh is set to 86400 my battery has around 700 cycles so it's already past it's prime, will change them to 3600 today and report back.
[doublepost=1540672987][/doublepost]People, everyone keeps asking the same questions every page.

Get the Sintech ST-NGFF2013-C the long one.
For lower temperatures and longer battery life and cheaper get the ADATA: XPG SX 8200 or Intel: SSD 760p SSD.
For more performance (but less battery life and hotter temperatures) Get the SAMSUNG: 960 EVO or 970 EVO.

I believe the Intel and ADATA have enough performance, it already doubles your write speed. I doubt a program that interacts with huge files like Illustrator or FinalCutPro, Photoshop or whatever can take advantage of that, the Processor and the GPU in these 2013-2015 is probably the bottleneck now.

You cannot fit a heatsink in there with this adaptor, even without the heatsink the SX 8200 barely fit in there, there's no way you can fit anything there that's more than 1mm extra because it's already pushing the limits where the adapter meets the connector. Maybe Sintech can release a new version that will have a drop right past the connector and effectively sit on the motherboard whereas now there's a few millimeters under the adapter.

Last edited:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
The screw provided for the Sintech adapter is way too short When using with a XPG SX8200. There is not nearly enough space for it to hold down the SSD AND the adapter.

People are talking about the SSD bowing but that’s assuming that the screw will reach the hole. In my case it is about 3mm too short.

The screw supplied by Sintech is plenty long enough. It is the original Apple screw that is too short. The problem is that the drive inserted in the adapter is about 1mm too long so that it slightly overshoots the screw hole in the logic board. To secure the screw tightly will cause the drive to bow upwards as the screw straightens up the further it goes in thus forcing the drive forward out of the way. The only solution would be to dremel a deeper notch in the drive or to barely secure the drive with only a couple of screw turns and hope it doesn't work itself loose. Alternatively, a bit of kapton tape over the screw head may ensure it stays in place.

grame89

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
While I am not using EVO 970 I have encountered similar issue. I am on MBP 13" early 2015, using Sintech rev B adapter and ADATA SX8200. After a clean install I had battery drain of ~30% overnight. After checking pmset -g I realized my "standbydelay" (high and low) were set to very large numbers (>28800) which means the computer will only hibernate after 8h. Changed both to 3600 and now the MBP will hibernate after 1h, and battery consumption is now ~3% overnight.
[doublepost=1540655665][/doublepost]

I have a similar issue and was able to resolve it by setting the standbydelay to lower values. See my post above.

Yes exactly. I could find that out today too. Couple of hours ago I tried exactly that solution and it worked perfectly great for me. Just wanted to give the experience back to the community to hopefully help some guys out there which nearly gone nuts with that issue just like me.

I'm no longer thinking that this is an issue of new EVO 970 SSD but much more that it is a general Mojave issue. The internet is full of threads about high battery consumption with Mojave. Most likely what I could find out today is:

A well known option in pmset before Mojave is standbydelay. It regulates the time when your Mac will switch from sleep to hibernation/standby. It's doesn't depend on your battery charge.
But now in Mojave there's a new value standbydelayhigh. It must say something like "when battery is high then go to hibernation/standby. Standard was at my MBP early 2015 a crazy high value with "68400" which stands for seconds. So my mac needed 24 hours to start hibernating.
The other option standbydelaylow still gives me 3 hours as it was on high Sierra in general.

So I just changed the value from standbydelayhigh back to 10800. Now my Mac hibernates after 3 hours just like in high Sierra. That brings back the battery life as normal.

The command would be
sudo pmset -b standbydelayhigh 10800

I played a little around with it and it does a good job. Could find everything possibly working monitored in pmset -g log. Now I even lowered it to 1 hour. Even more Battery saving.

Another working change could be that you configure your Mac to always hibernation. Then there will be no more sleep. It will always hibernate when you close the lid or after the time configured in normal setting options.
Command is
sudo pmset -b hibernatemode 25

changing value for hibernatemode is the right thing for you if you always want to hibernate and want to regulate the time with the normal settings in battery saver.

If you still want to have both sleep and hibernate then just configure standbydelayhigh and if you want a lower value than 3 hours which is standard then also standbydelaylow.
You have to consider that always hibernation has the negative point that it stresses your SSD as writing to SSDs does normally reduce there life which is normal physics.

Therefore I did not change value for hibernatemode and choose to change standbydelayhigh and standbydelaylow to 1 hour.

I was just unlucky to install Mojave for the first time together with installing the new SSD. So I thought it is a SSD issue and not a macOS one.

Got a lot of info from this thread here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/9ogf17/macos_mojave_drains_too_much_battery_compared_to/
And a German one here:
https://forum.golem.de/kommentare/a...h-im-standby/121000,5195499,5195499,read.html

But they suggest to change hibernatemode to 25 together with standbydelayhigh and standbydelaylow. Which makes no sense to me as there's no more delay with hibernatemode in 25.

This is all for a MBP 2015. I think the pre 2015 ones do have other issues with hibernate as the can't do this with a non apple SSD. So you have to change hibernatemode to 0 so it will not do it as they can't wake up from it. But this should be well known here already in the community.

I'm not sure if this is a well known issue for apple that the standbydelayhigh and -low feature causes some serious battery drain for a lot of Mac users. I'm also not sure if there are different values for different models. Hope this will get fixed soon. With that workaround my battery is back to normal, feels so good. Maybe the new SSD uses just a little more which is not worth talking about as it gives a lot of positive aspects as it is really cheap compared to other options. But finally the battery drain of 12-25 % per night in sleep mode is gone.

Just in case you are still looking for an adapter here's my setup in case you missed my first post.

Samsung EVO 970
With that adapter: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0788CKXJZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't know if you find it on .com too. But it works in my early 2015 with full speed and 4x lanes. No need to tape anything. The only negative side is that the torx screw is not the right one. Had to by a T5 in the store as this one didn't fit.

I did that all on a clean install of Mojave.

Last edited:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
pmset -a changes the value whether the power cord is attached or not. If you only want to change settings when running on battery use pmset -b. Personally, I don't see the value of forcing an early hibernation when running on mains. YMMV.

grame89

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
pmset -a changes the value whether the power cord is attached or not. If you only want to change settings when running on battery use pmset -b. Personally, I don't see the value of forcing an early hibernation when running on mains. YMMV.

Yes you're right. Will edit that in my thread. Was just a copy issue from a website. Personally I did only change the values for battery with -b.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
hi, I just mounted an Intel 760p on a MacBook Pro 15 mid 2015 with A-tech adapter I have a write speed 1355 and reading 1400. I think the reading speed should be better. can help Me

Did you get better reading and writing speeds?

mad cow disease

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2005
The screw supplied by Sintech is plenty long enough. It is the original Apple screw that is too short. The problem is that the drive inserted in the adapter is about 1mm too long so that it slightly overshoots the screw hole in the logic board. To secure the screw tightly will cause the drive to bow upwards as the screw straightens up the further it goes in thus forcing the drive forward out of the way. The only solution would be to dremel a deeper notch in the drive or to barely secure the drive with only a couple of screw turns and hope it doesn't work itself loose. Alternatively, a bit of kapton tape over the screw head may ensure it stays in place.

The Apple screw will definitely be too short. The Sintech screw is also too short. the corner of the Macbook closest to the drive is also lifted up when I reinstall the cover, which makes me think I may probably have not installed this properly...maybe time to try and install from scratch again. Or I should probably remove the heatsink...

Last edited:

maxgts

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
Sunnyvale, CA
The Apple screw will definitely be too short. The Sintech screw is also too short. the corner of the Macbook closest to the drive is also lifted up when I reinstall the cover, which makes me think I may probably have not installed this properly...maybe time to try and install from scratch again. Or I should probably remove the heatsink...

I just finished installing an Intel 760p 1TB and Sintech ST-NGFF2013-C(Long) in my 2015 rMBP 13 inch. The screw that came with the Sintech worked fine and my cover was also lifted up. Others talked about the cover sticking up in this thread. It still goes down perfectly when you put all the pentalobe screws back in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.