Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mad cow disease

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2005
Same problem, and the Mac seems a bit hot.

BTW, does the new 10.14.1 update contains any bootrom update?

I am not certain about the bootrom update.

With WiFi/BT off I got only 6% loss over 8-9 hours, but I'm not doing that every night...my guess is that it is a WiFi setting somewhere, maybe iCloud? I am going to experiment more.

Mojave 10.14.1 on an early 2015 13"
Boot ROM Version: MBP121.0177.B00

Last edited:

hiroo916

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
Has anybody tried using a HP EX920 SSD?

https://www.amazon.com/HP-EX920-Internal-Solid-2YY47AA/dp/B0795Z97K7
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13037/the-hp-ex920-m2-ssd-review

Wondering if anybody had success and if there were any comments as regards to compatibility, hibernation or power usage.

This is for use in a MBPr15 mid-2014

Also, what are the pro/cons of using the adapter with the long backing board vs just the connector? It would seem like the one with the backing would leave less space for the SSD and cause more problems with fitting the back panel back on properly. Is there any other advantage to having the board?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My late 2013 13", after updating to the 10.14.1 with the original Apple SSD, has a bootrom of 149.0.0.0.0.

Updated my early 2015 Air to 10.14.1 with the original Apple SSD and the bootrom was updated to 182.0.0.0.0.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 2.23.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 2.23.00 PM.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 464
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 3.05.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 3.05.59 PM.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:

Ryker9

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
I tried to flash using SOIC8 Clip and a raspberry but without succes, probably because the pins of the chip are very small so i cannot clip correctly

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I just upgraded from 10.14 to 10.14.1, early 2015 13" Air, Sintech green adapter, Intel 600p SSD, and the bottom was also updated to 182.0.0.0.0! This is the first time my Air did a bootrom update with a non-Apple oem SSD. I'm happy because it looks like I no longer need to install the original SSD to safely update the bootrom.

Reactions: whg

dadotratto

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
Ciao, ti ho letto da molto tempo e voglio dirti che sul mio MBP a metà 2014 (i7, 16 GB di RAM) dopo aver installato un lungo adattatore synthech e Samsung 970 pro ho iniziato a installare mojave da USB. I Mac Os sono iniziati senza problemi e il test che ho eseguito con AJA SYSTEM ha dato ottimi risultati nella lettura \ scrittura 1420 \ 1530. Vi assicuro che la temperatura del disco è inferiore e OSX non ha dato problemi dopo il letargo.
Mentre ho problemi ad installare Windows tramite la procedura bootcamp, a un certo punto l'installazione si blocca a causa di un errore, chi può aiutarmi?
I left it in hibernation last night and I noticed a battery consumption of only 2%
[doublepost = 1541073758] [/ doublepost] Ah .... dopo aver installato con successo utilizzando sintech e samsung 970 evo 500 gb, ho sostituito con l'adattatore sintech con questo e tutto è andato bene
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07D3Z5WNQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Angel NN

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2018
Ciao, ti ho letto da molto tempo e voglio dirti che sul mio MBP a metà 2014 (i7, 16 GB di RAM) dopo aver installato un lungo adattatore synthech e Samsung 970 pro ho iniziato a installare mojave da USB. I Mac Os sono iniziati senza problemi e il test che ho eseguito con AJA SYSTEM ha dato ottimi risultati nella lettura \ scrittura 1420 \ 1530. Vi assicuro che la temperatura del disco è inferiore e OSX non ha dato problemi dopo il letargo.
Mentre ho problemi ad installare Windows tramite la procedura bootcamp, a un certo punto l'installazione si blocca a causa di un errore, chi può aiutarmi?
I left it in hibernation last night and I noticed a battery consumption of only 2%
[doublepost = 1541073758] [/ doublepost] Ah .... dopo aver installato con successo utilizzando sintech e samsung 970 evo 500 gb, ho sostituito con l'adattatore sintech con questo e tutto è andato bene
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07D3Z5WNQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi,
Follow this post:
https://www.wikigain.com/install-windows-10-mac-os-without-bootcamp/

ragermac

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
My late 2013 13", after updating to the 10.14.1 with the original Apple SSD, has a bootrom of 149.0.0.0.0.

Updated my early 2015 Air to 10.14.1 with the original Apple SSD and the bootrom was updated to 182.0.0.0.0.

Does this mean that I can upgrade with MVe on my Late 2013 and have no hybernation issues?

jackqueenking

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2018
I joined this website specifically because I bought an ADATA sx8200 with Sintech Rev C long black adapter for my Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2014 and did a lot of research about hibernate and sleep modes.

Firstly what I can say is I've successfully updated to 10.14.1 with bootrom 149.0.0.0.0 and NO there is no improvements with hibernation. To test this I ran the following commands:

sudo pmset -a standby 0 hibernatemode 25
sudo pmset sleepnow

Now close the lid for a minute or so, then open the lid and press the power button and bam it freezes and I have to do a restart where I hear the startup sound twice. I now reverted back to hibernatemode 0.

For those of you who are confused about this topic, let me clear something up. The default hibernate modes on the 2015 Macs and earlier is hibernatemode = 3. This setting is exactly the same as 0 except that it also writes a copy of your system to the SSD in case there is a power failure, you are then able to recover what you were doing. Mode 0 does not do this. Essentially if you don't have a power-loss with hibernate mode 3 then you are always mimicking hibernate mode 0 while safely copying contents to the drive, if you have been using mode 3 and had to switch to mode 0 because of the issues, there is virtually no difference in running a 2014 model with mode 0 with an NVME, in fact its 10x faster than mode 25 and mode 0 can actually last up to 20 days with a full charge. If you lose power or battery runs out in mode 3 then you will have the same problem as mode 25.

If you're using mode 25 that's a different story and in fact a whole other process where RAM is no longer powered, this is true hibernation and is causing problems, it was introduced in the 2017 models and sacrificing startup time for battery power.

Disabling standby results in your computer not going to hibernate mode until standbydelayhigh and standbydelaylow times where high and low represent levels of battery power. Setting this to 0 allows your mac to go directly into hibernation when closing the lid so that the new NVME drive doesn't drain your battery since it uses more power than the original ssd.

Mac OS does not support PCIe Active State Power Management (ASPM) so it does not allow the NVME drives to go into ultra low power mode like it does on windows PCs this is why the drives stay in their regular idle state when in standby on Macs.

Auto poweroff is just a European energy standard that is only observable if the AC power cord is plugged in, just set it to 0.

I really hope in the future Apple fixes this hibernate mode 25 issue, but for now the way pre 2015 models sleep is entirely unaffected with the new NVME drives whether you're using 0 or 3.

Reactions: chlrbwls

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
So if I get an NVMe with a 4K LBA I wouldn't have any problems with hibernation on my 2013 MacBook Pro? And if I were to modify the boot ROM, if I received a firmware update, would I need to modify it again? Thanks!

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
So if I get an NVMe with a 4K LBA I wouldn't have any problems with hibernation on my 2013 MacBook Pro? And if I were to modify the boot ROM, if I received a firmware update, would I need to modify it again? Thanks!
4k vs 512 does not influence hibernation but does determine whether the MacBook needs to run Sierra or High Sierra/Mojave.

Yes, you need to mod the firmware again if it gets overwritten during an OS update.

Reactions: AnonMac50

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
A couple days ago I was chilling watching some TV when I looked at my computer and it had the flashing file box. Not good. Did some self testing and determined the SSD had croaked. Some more googling along with Amazon Prime had an Adata 8200 SSD along with the sintech -C adaptor. First was a no go. Tightened the SSD down a little more and she's purring like a kitten. I'll work on the sleep stuff another day, just happy to have it fixed for $150 with more speed and double the capacity. Want to hang on to this thing until the 2018 quad core 16GB 13" drop sub $1500 next year and can justify it when this isn't supported with OS upgrades anymore.

rblcd

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
Are there any special steps to getting the full x4 link width on the pre-2015's?
I've got a 2014 15" MBPr running Mojave with the 149.0.0.0.0 BootROM, the latest revision short adapter by Sintech (black and shielded), and my SSD of choice is a 1TB Samsung PM961. While I've been able to restore everything from my Time Machine backup using instructions from this thread (thanks guys!), my speeds are about the same as they were with the stock SSD - just under 800 MBps. System information shows my link speed at x2. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
4k vs 512 does not influence hibernation but does determine whether the MacBook needs to run Sierra or High Sierra/Mojave.

Yes, you need to mod the firmware again if it gets overwritten during an OS update.

So in that case any NVMe drive would influence hibernation, correct?

Ghokun

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2013
Are there any special steps to getting the full x4 link width on the pre-2015's?
I've got a 2014 15" MBPr running Mojave with the 149.0.0.0.0 BootROM, the latest revision short adapter by Sintech (black and shielded), and my SSD of choice is a 1TB Samsung PM961. While I've been able to restore everything from my Time Machine backup using instructions from this thread (thanks guys!), my speeds are about the same as they were with the stock SSD - just under 800 MBps. System information shows my link speed at x2. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I have 13" 2014 rMBP replaced the original 128 SSUAX x2 ssd with 512 SSUBX x4 ssd and can see 1400/1400 read/write speeds. If your SSD supports x4 then it should work. Do you have kapton tape on adapter?

amenjas

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2018
India
Just to give update

Macbook air early 2015 mojave 10.14.1 update installed with bootrom automatically updated to 182.00—- without the need of original apple ssd. I am using samsung 970evo 500gb ssd with latest, late october ordered, sintech adapter small one ( pins shielded originally from manufacturer)

Reactions: mbosse

jackqueenking

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2018
Yes, using a nvme drive will influence hibernation.
It will only influence hibernation if you are using mode 25 or a power loss (Battery dead) using mode 3.
The default is mode 3 so contents always stay in RAM, even in mode 0. You will not see a difference pre-2015

Reactions: chlrbwls

Eternal 28

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
A couple days ago I was chilling watching some TV when I looked at my computer and it had the flashing file box. Not good. Did some self testing and determined the SSD had croaked. Some more googling along with Amazon Prime had an Adata 8200 SSD along with the sintech -C adaptor. First was a no go. Tightened the SSD down a little more and she's purring like a kitten. I'll work on the sleep stuff another day, just happy to have it fixed for $150 with more speed and double the capacity. Want to hang on to this thing until the 2018 quad core 16GB 13" drop sub $1500 next year and can justify it when this isn't supported with OS upgrades anymore.

Nice. I just did the same upgrade on a 2015 MacBook Pro 15 and I got the Adata sx8200 960gb. She’s running really good with about 5% battery Drain overnight in a span of 7:30 mins. Do you think that is normal? I tried using Istat to check the ssd temps during usage but it’s not working for me. It just shows no temperature reading for the new drive. Can you check to see if yours work ? Thanks

jackqueenking

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2018
Nice. I just did the same upgrade on a 2015 MacBook Pro 15 and I got the Adata sx8200 960gb. She’s running really good with about 5% battery Drain overnight in a span of 7:30 mins. Do you think that is normal? I tried using Istat to check the ssd temps during usage but it’s not working for me. It just shows no temperature reading for the new drive. Can you check to see if yours work ? Thanks
I couldn't read the temperature sensor either for some reason.

Use sudo pmset -a standby 0
In the terminal, this prevents the mac from going into standby before going into hibernate mode so when you close the lid it will go directly into hibernate. The standby mode is a battery killer because the drive uses more power in idle state than the original apple ssd and mac doesn't have PCIe power management.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It will only influence hibernation if you are using mode 25 or a power loss (Battery dead) using mode 3.
The default is mode 3 so contents always stay in RAM, even in mode 0. You will not see a difference pre-2015
I assume the person was referring to whether a nvme drive affects hibernation mode and/or panics on a pre-2015 MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.