Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MrPhil17

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2023
I did upgrade to Ventura with open core. But now the wifi disconnects every time the screen goes to sleep. Super annoying.

I’ve tried every fix recommended online with no success. I’m hoping the next ventura update fixes this glitch. If it doesn’t I might downgrade to Monterey to see if that helps.
As long as the MacBook isn't connected with the charger and any running app won't allow to go into stop, this behavior is normal. If you want to keep it running, you have to enable Power Nap, but it will drain the battery pretty quickly.

Charbs20

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2020
As long as the MacBook isn't connected with the charger and any running app won't allow to go into stop, this behavior is normal. If you want to keep it running, you have to enable Power Nap, but it will drain the battery pretty quickly.
But it disconnects almost instantly.

I have it set for the screen to turn off after 5 minutes of inactivity….screen goes off, 20 seconds later I’ll hit a key to wake screen back up, wifi disconnected and takes about 5 seconds to reconnect.

Sometimes there is even a quick slash through the wifi icon like it was disabled.

What sucks is that I’m connected to work through Citrix and if I let the screen go off it boots me off Citrix because there is no wifi.

It’s not the end of the world. I just don’t remember this type of thing happening with my 2011 MacBook while on battery power.

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
I thought I would put update in here after not posting in this thread for several years I put a SK Hynix P31 1TB in my MacBook Pro mid 2014 feels like 2 years ago maybe and it’s been nothing but reliable no issues solid lots of usage and holding up well I just thought I would say how easy it’s been with this upgrade to the Mac currently running Ventura with OCLP and Big Sur perfectly fine and obviously better performance than the original drive it replaced can’t see it failing at all any time soon would still recommend this drive.

Charbs20

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2020
I thought I would put update in here after not posting in this thread for several years I put a SK Hynix P31 1TB in my MacBook Pro mid 2014 feels like 2 years ago maybe and it’s been nothing but reliable no issues solid lots of usage and holding up well I just thought I would say how easy it’s been with this upgrade to the Mac currently running Ventura with OCLP and Big Sur perfectly fine and obviously better performance than the original drive it replaced can’t see it failing at all any time soon would still recommend this drive.
I have the same 2014 MacBook with Ventura. Does your wifi disconnect every time the screen turns off when idle?

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
I have the same 2014 MacBook with Ventura. Does your wifi disconnect every time the screen turns off when idle?

Never noticed that issue myself try asking in the macOS 13 Ventura on Unsupported Macs Thread but I do quite alot to be honest use a coffee buzz app or keep Mac awake app which is on auto start up that only turns off when the battery is low .

Reactions: macpro_mid2014

KoulaK

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2023
hello I recently installed a 1TB NVMe SSD (Crucial NVMe SSD: P1) on my MacBook Pro Mid 2014 and installed Windows 10 with bootcamp.... and correct the error WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE explained on page 1.... everything works but when I'm on Windows and I remove the power it does not hold on the battery ... who are detected and loaded... The error WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE back and the computer restarts....

Thank you for your help

htcmda

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2018
Hello everyone, I had a question about the apple factory ssd in my mid 2015 15 inch. I see lots of posts online about QLC, SLC, TLC in relation to nvme ssd's. With QLC being the lower end cheap stuff. Does anyone know what the factory apple ssd is, that's used in the mid 2015 15 inch macbook pros? I'm trying to figure out which 2TB ssd to buy, and the Q,S AND TLC stuff throws me off.

pete1

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
London, UK
Another success story here, WD 1TB SN 570 and this adapter working without a hitch on a Mid 2015 MacBook Pro 15".

Isn't it fortuitous that the length of the SSD with the adapter is exactly the same length as the OEM SSD?

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyview

aderribo

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2021
Totally, he was very clear. I'll be trying that next!
Thank you all :)
Little update: after installing Windows, doing a firmware update and testing yet another adapter with absolutely no response or advance of any kind, I managed to get the famous Sintech and voilà, the MBP booted right up on the first try.
Moral of the story: Sintech FTW

Many thanks for your help
@otosan
@macpro_mid2014
@DeltaMac

pete1

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
London, UK
Why would you not get the sintech from the start, when 90%+ of the people here recommend it.
It’s more expensive and most of the other ones work just fine. It’s just a straight-through adapter so not really complex in any way. The ones that cause problems don’t have all the pins/wires connected but I think most of the ones currently on sale have fixed this - things have moved on since the first post here.

MariannValentinn

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2023
Hello,

I am planning to upgrade my MacBook Pro 13'' Mid 2014 with an NVMe SSD(512GB is ok for me).
For now I am ok with BigSur but maybe in the future I will update it on Monterey/Ventura with OCLP(maybe Windows with BootCamp, but not mandatory, as I can run it in Parallels also).
So I am searching for an SSD that will be ok for now with BigSur and also for the future with Ventura let's say.
And also, which one would be better to avoid battery life problems? The laptop should have the latest firmware as it's now running BigSur, for the problems wiht hibernation.
Here are the options in my country(also checked them on the first page of the post and they seem to be compatible):
Intel 660p
Intel 670p
Adata XPG SX8200 Pro
WD Black SN750
WD Black SN750 SE

Thank you very much

htcmda

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2018
It’s more expensive and most of the other ones work just fine. It’s just a straight-through adapter so not really complex in any way. The ones that cause problems don’t have all the pins/wires connected but I think most of the ones currently on sale have fixed this - things have moved on since the first post here.
Ah, I have the sintech adapter, it's in the bag it came in collecting dust. I'm just stuck on which ssd to purchase. because prices keep going down on both 1TB and 2TB drives.

D49

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022
Ah, I have the sintech adapter, it's in the bag it came in collecting dust. I'm just stuck on which ssd to purchase. because prices keep going down on both 1TB and 2TB drives.
I bought today the Crucial P3+ 4 terabyte nvme, it took a Mojave install on my mid 2015 MacBook Pro nicely. Currently copying large volume of files to it, working fine so far. $225.00 at Microcenter.

D49

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022
inserted into a mid 2015 MBPro. Crucial P3+

Attachments

• IMG_4040.jpg
    IMG_4040.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 91

vaalbara

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2022
Hello everyone, I had a question about the apple factory ssd in my mid 2015 15 inch. I see lots of posts online about QLC, SLC, TLC in relation to nvme ssd's. With QLC being the lower end cheap stuff. Does anyone know what the factory apple ssd is, that's used in the mid 2015 15 inch macbook pros? I'm trying to figure out which 2TB ssd to buy, and the Q,S AND TLC stuff throws me off.
Those older Apple branded SSDs are most probably TLC drives by Samsung and others. If I'm not mistaken QLC-based SSD drives became available much later (2018?). It's pretty sad that Apple is not giving out important info like the type and TBW of the NAND that they use.

Reactions: htcmda

Berlinsky

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2018
Berlin
inserted into a mid 2015 MBPro. Crucial P3+
Good post thank you, I'm trying to upgrade my mid 2015 15 inch MBP and it won't recognise the P3 4TB, so it has to be the +/plus I suppose. For additional info, I'm on the latest Firmware/Bootrom, tried recovery and external booting. No luck so far.

Controller chip seems to be slightly different, the T is missing. ;) :

P3+ controller: Phison PS5021-E21T, 4 channels

PS: Its also not recognised by the MBP late 2013 13 inch.

Attachments

• CrucialP3-4TBcontroller.jpeg
    CrucialP3-4TBcontroller.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

D49

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022
Good post thank you, I'm trying to upgrade my mid 2015 15 inch MBP and it won't recognise the P3 4TB, so it has to be the +/plus I suppose. For additional info, I'm on the latest Firmware/Bootrom, tried recovery and external booting. No luck so far.

Controller chip seems to be slightly different, the T is missing. ;) :

P3+ controller: Phison PS5021-E21T, 4 channels

PS: Its also not recognised by the MBP late 2013 13 inch.
I stood there at Microcenter yesterday with BOTH in hand but only wanting to purchase one. I chose the + because of future proofing. Got lucky I guess. Thanks for that information. Today is the second day of usage, MBPro mid 2015 is sleeping nicely and took the 5 hours of copy over data last night as expected.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 3.54.17 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 3.54.17 PM.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: Berlinsky

aderribo

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2021
Why would you not get the sintech from the start, when 90%+ of the people here recommend it.
I live in a country where the import of electronic goods is heavily regulated, so it is not so easy to get components and devices through the mail.
I was lucky that a friend was traveling abroad and we were able to buy it there.

otosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
Because, unless you are really using old adapter that was designed for AHCI, or get one that physically broken - bad solder/elses - (which not even happen 10 times out of 1000 installation) , then there's no point in using sintech. Most of current/recently manufactured adapter will work just fine.

It's fine if you want to go for sintech, but it will give no extra benefit in term of performance, stability nor longevity compared to generic one, asumming both are physically pristine.

aderribo

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2021
Because, unless you are really using old adapter that was designed for AHCI, or get one that physically broken - bad solder/elses - (which not even happen 10 times out of 1000 installation) , then there's no point in using sintech. Most of current/recently manufactured adapter will work just fine.

It's fine if you want to go for sintech, but it will give no extra benefit in term of performance, stability nor longevity compared to generic one, asumming both are physically pristine.
Thanks otosan, very insightful.
I'm still not sure why the previous two adapters I was able to try didn't work. I'd like to have more knowledge in microelectronics to be able to verify differences and similarities with the Sintech device, but I'm not even close to do so.
Both three came sealed and the non-Sintech ones seem to be of recent production. Here's a picture of the ones that didn't work for reference:

Attachments

• photo_2023-04-03_12-44-44.jpg
    photo_2023-04-03_12-44-44.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 137

rollsroy69

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2022
I've had ongoing crashes due to movement (always resolves after pressing on the SSD) so I'm thinking of changing to the Sintech long adapter.

Does anyone know the difference between these:

Which I assume is ST-NGFF2013-C

Which I assume is ST-NGFF2013-D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.