URGENT: Is 8GB ram sufficient? Opinions needed :)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by felixen, Nov 6, 2018.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,

I have come across a very good and limited (5 units) sale for an almost new MBP 2018 with 8GB of RAM. I'd aim for 16GB, but the deal I can get is only for the base Touchbar model (but with 512GB storage).

I know a lot of you guys know more about this stuff than I do, so I really hope you can help by sharing your opinions.

I currently have:
    MB Air Mid 2012
    2 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

What I do with it:
    I often have 2 browsers open with a lot of tabs (like 40 tabs in a browser)
    I do a lot of text based work that don't require much
    I somewhat often use Photoshop to edit photos. These generally have maybe 15-30 layers
    I rarely, but sometimes, use Final Cut Pro to edit some video but nothing too heavy.

My current experiences:
    Overall, it's okay, but I definitely do experience that my MB Air will freeze up for a while while doing Photoshop / Final Cut stuff. It's not horrible though; it's frustrating and kinda kills the workflow sometimes, but it's definitely not so bad that I cannot get any work done.

My main question (which may be dumb)..:
    So, about this new MBP 2018 model, do you guys think I will experience a much smoother performance in the work I've mentioned above considering it's a much newer and more powerful computer? Or will I experience the same issues simply because the RAM still remains at just 8GB? I'm hoping it's a stupid question and that it'll of course be much smoother, but my friend told me the RAM is like a make-or-break thing for these kinds of tasks.. What do you guys think??

Thanks SO much in advance!

2. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

3. FNH15 macrumors 6502

Do you often reach the yellow threshold in Activity Monitor?

4. RedTomato macrumors 601

RedTomato

8gb is fine. The 2012 Air has a slow SSD and weak GPU compared to modern computers so that might be what is causing the freeze in Photoshop / Final Cut. The CPU / RAM in your model is great, just sometimes getting a bit starved of data.

One option is to replace the SSD with a modern m.2 ssd via an adaptor. I'm not sure if your MBA can take a nvme ssd though.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

The CPU and storage of the MBP is much faster than yours, as is the GPU. The overall performance will be much better. MacOS’s memory management is also very good, plus the RAM is faster on the MBP too.

In conclusion: 8GB stretches a lot further on new machines than it does on older ones. You’ll be very happy with your new MBP. :)

6. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome, that’s what I was hoping to hear. Thanks a lot everyone, I appreciate the quick replies
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2018 ---
    I’ve never looked in there to be honest. I should check that out

7. Blaze4G macrumors 65816

Not sure if everyone missed the part of 40 tabs being open. That alone will eat the 8GB ram imo.

8. RedTomato macrumors 601

RedTomato

With ublock origin blocking the ads, I can easily have 100+ tabs open without any RAM pressure. Tabs are fine, adverts are what kills.

9. Ploki macrumors 68040

frankly a quantum computer can't handle that judging by how redundantly websites are coded today.

a fast boot drive for swap can handle that fine

10. torana355 macrumors 68040

You only need more than 8gb if you are doing heavy duty photoshop or video editing work, of if you are running VM's.