Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Phones are programmed to a specific network at the factor. There is no such thing as an unlocked CDMA phone.

I'm not sure exactly what the deal is with CDMA locking. I know that there's a Service Programming Code which apparently lets you into some of the options, and that seems to vary by operator. Presumably Apple (or any other manufacturer) could have the settings in an easily-accessible menu if they wanted to (like the APN settings are now, on a GSM/WCDMA phone).

I remember when I connected my CDMA phone, I was told to enter a special number (I think it was *#6391#) to get into the programming menu and enter the MDN etc. I assume that there are other codes that get you into the operator-specific options. From what I've heard, Windows Mobile phones have an app that accomplishes the same thing (the specific phone was an HTC Vogue, but I guess that many other phones are the same).

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
What is LTE?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3GPP_Long_Term_Evolution
Much of the standard addresses upgrading 3G UMTS to 4G mobile communications technology, which is essentially a mobile broadband system with enhanced multimedia services built on top.

This co-existence with either UMTS or even CDMA networks is causing some confusion. It refers to frequency co-existence.
Co-existence with legacy standards (users can transparently start a call or transfer of data in an area using an LTE standard, and, should coverage be unavailable, continue the operation without any action on their part using GSM/GPRS or W-CDMA-based UMTS or even 3GPP2 networks such as cdmaOne or CDMA2000)
Nothing in the standard requires compatibility with CDMA2000 and such compatibility would require a a dual radio chip similar to the Qualcomm HSPA/CDMA2000 chips currently available. It would also require code to handle that fail over. The handset would have to be coded to allow that handover.

It is much more likely than most handsets will support HSPA and LTE rather than LTE and CDMA2000.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Lol

*JUST* in time for CDMA to be obsoleted by LTE...

(no, I am not implying LTE will be deployed this year, just that it will be deployed within this phone's operational lifespan).

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
I hope it happens

I am tired of the big companies deciding what the standard is. If you talk to at&t they will tell you GSM is the standard. If you talk to Verizon they will tell you CDMA is the standard. Truth be told their is no so thing as the standard! All BS. Nobody gets to decide what the standard is. Make the iPhone work for Verizon.

Richard Kimball

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
Texas
I’m convinced Apple leaks stuff like this to the WSJ to provide leverage for their contract negotiations with AT&T.

Although with Android gaining more operating system share in the smartphone space, Apple may be ready to launch an all out assault. I do lend more credence to a Verizon iPhone this year than in the years past.

I have an iPhone and really like it. I'm on a college campus, but it seems like half the phones are iPhones. That being said, if Droid or someone else comes out with a phone that can be used as a WIFI hotspot for my laptop, I just might jump ship.

It's getting ridiculous to pay $50 for internet at home, $30 for each smart phone and then another $30 for an iPad or $60 for one of those portable Wifi spots.

cdd543

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2006
Denver
Let's hope some further confirmation comes sooner than later. I could def see the iPhone HD as well.

iphoneg33k

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2008
Well Verizon may have better service but they screwed me on our phone bill.. How you may ask? $1000 phone bill. I went and paid at the kiosk in the store and they said they never got it, for the previous month which was almost 400 bucks. Yeah screw them, I hope they choke on that iPhone, I dont think they are worthy to have it, not when they screw their customers like that.

I dont have the best service with at&t but at least I have a normal bill every month.

You know what you're righ about version. They have good network and stuff but I also got screwed on my phone bill because I was leaving them. Even if the iphone goes to verizon I think they will run into problems plus I bet the plan on verizon will be more then at&t.

MrCruiser

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2010
I will stay with AT&T left verizon 9 months ago and I am happy with my iphone and the network. I think the WSJ news is BS. Can someone answer this though why would the top exs at apple sell there shares when in about 3 months there about to announce they have made a phone to sell to 91 million new customers?

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
What's the mailing address for blackberry HQ? So I can start sending them a few cases of box tissues in advance.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I'm consistently amazed at all of the "it'll never come to Verizon," or, "Apple won't make two versions" comments. Other phone companies make CDMA and GSM versions of phones every day.
Absolutely. Verizon and Sprint are a juicy market.

All Verizon has to do is provide a bunch of customers. That is enough to make it worthwhile for Apple.
Moreover, Apple must be realizing that staying away from CDMA has allowed Android, RIM, and even Palm to get sales and footholds they otherwise wouldn't have.

It is much more likely than most handsets will support HSPA and LTE rather than LTE and CDMA2000.
There's no doubt more handsets will support UMTS+LTE, which is why Rogers and others added UMTS. However, just as now, there likely will also be a good set of CDMA+LTE choices.

kdarling said:
Verizon will pass 100 million LTE customers later this year
However, Verizon recently said they don't expect to have any LTE handsets until 2011....
Norman coordinate.

:) LTE was not designed as a voice substitute, but mostly for broadband. The first LTE devices deployed in the USA will be laptop dongles and cards for other things with large batteries.

Niko03

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Some people have to justify buying a phone on a carrier they didn't want by convincing themselves that the other carriers all suck. That way they feel better about their purchase. Basic human psychology. Most of those people will be dumping Atnt and getting a Verizon iPhone.

I'm not a Verizon basher, and it's fine with me if Apple makes an iphone for thier network. Actually I would most likely welcome the move since it might bring better rates for me with the increased competition. But I would not drop At&t for Verizon for several reasons:

1- I've had no problems with At&t and the coverage in my area is excellent.
2- With Verizons network you can't talk and access the data network at the same time, which some might think is cliche, but I've use this feature quite a few times. Why on earth would I give up functionality?
3 - The Verizon iPhone, if only CDMA, would be neutered since it would most likely be good on only Verizons network. (No international capabilities.)

MBP15C2D4GBLED

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2007
What's the mailing address for blackberry HQ? So I can start sending them a few cases of box tissues in advance.

You ain't kidding about that. And I will bet that out of the box, the CDMA iPhone will tether as well. But I do worry about what restrictions Verizon will attempt to put on it. Maybe Verizon will let it go out full-open... or they have too as part of their agreement with Apple (if such a beast exists :)).

thatguysmells

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
Pandora
I'm not a Verizon basher, and it's fine with me if Apple makes an iphone for thier network. Actually I would most likely welcome the move since it might bring better rates for me with the increased competition. But I would not drop At&t for Verizon for several reasons:

2- With Verizons network you can't talk and access the data network at the same time, which some might think is cliche, but I've use this feature quite a few times. Why on earth would I give up functionality?
3 - The Verizon iPhone, if only CDMA, would be neutered since it would most likely be good on only Verizons network. (No international capabilities.)

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought when you go international with an iPhone on Atnt your roaming? So isn't that way to expensive to even be a practical argument?

thatguysmells

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
Pandora
You ain't kidding about that. And I will bet that out of the box, the CDMA iPhone will tether as well. But I do worry about what restrictions Verizon will attempt to put on it. Maybe Verizon will let it go out full-open... or they have too as part of their agreement with Apple (if such a beast exists :)).

Are you seriously saying the next iPhone is going to be a Blackberry killer? Sorry, but Apple doesn't even come close to Blackberry when it comes to email.

nick1516

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008

Niko03

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
As far as "talk or data but not at the same time" is concerned, when I'm on my Blackberry Storm 2 and I'm taking a call, I can still get notifications that I have a new email or text message. If I'm browsing the internet I can still receive a call. So please tell me how "talk or data but not at the same time" affect real world usage? I just hear that statement all the time from Atnt fanboys and I think it's misleading.

Yes you can take the call, but you can't go back to surfing the net if you need to. It's not hype. It's real and I've used it often enough to appreciate it. That being said Verizon will get it as they roll out LTE/4G.

MBP15C2D4GBLED

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2007

(1) That's good for you, and unless you are dissappointed with ATT, there is no reason to switch....
(2) As many previous posters have noted: us CDMA users are used to this. It's only occasionally a impediment. Maybe it will be a bigger impediment once we have Mobile Safari, and web surfing is something that you do regularly on your phone (I do regularly surf on my 8330, but it's limited, for sure). But right now, I'd be happy to be able to surf at any other time on Mobile Safari, than when taking a call, rather than none at all.
(3) I don't think this will be the limitation you believe it is. On average, a lot Americans rarely leave the country. Many can indicate possible well intentioned reasons, others can mention false intellectual superiority reasons: but for me, I like our culture, and other than wanting to driver Nürburgring in a Mustang 5.0L or a Camaro SS 6.2L, or a Corvette ZR1 with the blower, I have so little interest in leaving my country. Plus, as I understand it from people who *have* left the country with their iPhones, it's a real pain in the pocket book. I hear that most businesses just rent you a new phone when you get there. I suspect if you are rich enough to afford roaming in Europe on your USA iphone, you can probably afford to just buy another one pretty easily for a trip "over there".

CDMA just does so much better with less towers, and its why ATT doesn't have even simple voice coverage in rural areas. Farmers could be a big user of the iPhone (I could think of a bunch of killer apps for farming of any sort), but there just aren't going to be a lot of rural areas with even Voice or Edge coverage, much less 3G from ATT. Verizon on the other hand, because of a lower cost of entry to a given market because of their wireless technology, has coverage in most of these areas, either by roaming agreements with smaller providers who own local towers, or by direct tower presence.

GSM, from the git-go was a metro-area digital technology, and it has cost ATT in the US. I suspect they are merely "hanging on" to their current network with the lowest cost upgrades, until LTE is big time. Then they can roam on Verizon networks (if deals can be struck --- that will an interesting story to watch).

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Are you seriously saying the next iPhone is going to be a Blackberry killer? Sorry, but Apple doesn't even come close to Blackberry when it comes to email.

You are 100% right about email. By the same token one could say browsing the web is 100% better in the iPhone. But comparing features to phones isn't what this is about. I'm tempted to send the good people at Blackberry a case of boxed tissues because of the number if iPhones sold vs Blackberry on a quartely basis.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
CDMA = talk or data but not at the same time. Phones are programmed to a specific network at the factor. There is no such thing as an unlocked CDMA phone. CDMA is used in the US on Verizon and Sprint, the legacy (old) network for Bell and Telus in Canada and on some smaller budget carriers in other parts of the world.

South Korea is small budget carrier market ? There is a vendor deploying 3G/UTMS solution now, but what's largely there now is CDMA. Likewise

http://www.gsmworld.com/newsroom/press-releases/2010/4636.htm

China Telecom is small ? KDDI is small ?

There are going to be CDMA/LTE combo phones out there. Apple can ignore that market if they want.

MBP15C2D4GBLED

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2007

As a 8330 owner, I can agree, their email is polished, but in general, I am not impressed with the hardware in general, and the Operating System in specific. Their OS is not nearly as stable as iPhone OS (I ran a iPhone for a while, till I got tired of toting two phones --a CDMA and the iPhone -- to make calls in the places I most often venture), they have no app kill capability (unless you count reboot), and their tethering support is flakey as well (which can sometimes reset the entire phone).

If they allow that keyboard they are going to offer for the iPad, to also work on the iPhone, then RIM will implode, because business users who have put up with their IT department's worshipful respect to RIM, are going to launch pitchfork & torch raids on the IT department to get iPhones inside and online.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Boy it's about time.

Ive been a loyal Verizon costumer for years and have been waiting for an iPhone forever. If this is true, its great news!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.