Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
The apparent vents on the side are interesting. I'd be willing to bet they enhance the acoustics. However, they could be a safety feature (preventing lawsuits when the current generation all go deaf from banging their eardrums to the point of cochlear destruction). Also, wouldn't it be great if those vents were actually mics for active noise cancelation without needing a separate power source other than the audio out? Or perhaps all 3 possibilities combined?

I was trying to figure out what those vents could of been, but I'm hoping for any or all of those proposed ideas

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
The grills on the side have got to be...

...mics for noise cancellation. Previous incarnations have had simple holes for acoustic purposes, so the metal grills make a design connection to the phone itself.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

when's the last time apple updated their headphones?

Good point...

You could have also said the same abut Apple TV, but thats for another topic.

Also, wouldn't surprise me in the lease if Apples *own* earphone were noise-cancelling (maybe for future)

mertyz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
It doesn't look like Apple at all.

But if this one is legit, then Tim Cook should award their package manufacturer because there wasn't a package leak, ever.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
To make air flow in one direction, you need a vent on the other side. Otherwise your driver is fighting a vacuum. This is my uneducated guess.

Seems legit--I guess most headphones do that. :) But I'm still not sure which side to stick in my ear...

mgsarch

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
"We're going to double down on secrecy."

-Tim Cook

"Challenge accepted."

-Parts suppliers

It's less than two weeks until a likely announcement. Seems like they did a pretty standard job a la status quo.

Cool quotes though....

Speaker

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2001
LA
noise cancellation

if these are legit, this is pretty great - almost for sure those slits on the buds are mics for noise cancellation, meaning that the processing is being done at the phone level, and opens the door for headphone manufacturers to build really nice buds with this built in for fairly cheap (current noise cancellation headphones have do their own processing).

it also means that almost everybody that gets this is going to get a big bump up in terms of sound quality from the old style - it won't be audiophile quality, but most people that invest in good headphones know how it can make a dramatic difference in your music experience, and this will almost certainly be one of the new iphone's major selling points.

being able to eliminate outside noise allows you to really hear your music. an interesting experiment is just to take your current headphones, and listen with just one bud in while you are in a noisy environment, then put the second one in, and compare what you can hear. it's not a scientific experiment, but it goes a long way to showing you how your perception of the music changes when you are hearing other sounds.

Last edited:

HavocLink

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2012
Interesting

Not the first time they've been redesigned, though this seems the most radical. Will reserve judgement for when it is officially released.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
At the very least, these will be interesting to compare to whatever headphones we all use. I hope Apple are improving the soft plastic used in the cord; the older Apple earphones would lose their solidity and disintegrate after a few years.

pokerplayer73

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Florida, USA
Thought these were Cookie Monster eyes at first glance! Anyway, what's with the openings on the side of the earbuds? (You have to watch the video to see this--you can't see them in the picture, only the front opening which I assume is the actual "loudspeaker" part.)

I am assuming they are for Surround sound effect.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
I just wonder, who else never bothered to unpack their original Apple headphones that came with their iPhone, iPod etc.?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

I just wonder, who else never bothered to unpack their original Apple headphones that came with their iPhone, iPod etc.?

Actually.. me...... for some "weird" reason I like to spend $35 on anther pair, just for the protective sleeve the earphones go into when not used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.