What Do You Want to See From Apple in 2018?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Macatize macrumors newbie

Macatize

2. ignatius345, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

ignatius345 macrumors 68000

THIS

The number of bugs in iOS 11 -- even several point releases down the road -- is embarrassing. And the MacOS root access bug was just stunningly bad.

3. LeeFermandel macrumors newbie

LeeFermandel

--- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    New iPad mini 5 (mini pro)

4. ignatius345 macrumors 68000

Doesn't iCloud Drive already do such a thing? Sharing isn't very granular (I use Dropbox for collaborating on folders, myself) but it definitely shows "placeholder" icons that download when opened.

5. Gameboy70 macrumors 6502

Gameboy70

I can't prove it, but I suspect that butterfly keys' springs fatigue more quickly than scissor keys. I've had the 2105 12" MacBook and the 2017 13" MacBook Pro, and they've both had two or three flaccid keys. If I'm right about the fatigue, this would explain why the Genius Bar can't find anything materially wrong, like a spec of dust. The keys register when you're pecking them individually for diagnostic purposes, but when you're actually typing, it's hard to complete a full sentence without having to retype something.

The bigger problem, even more than the more common complaint about low travel keys, is the wider footprint of the keycaps. I'm a proficient typist on any non-butterfly keyboard, but the minute I had to start typing on either of those MacBooks, I'd mistype at least one character every by every third or fourth word. The larger keys wreak havoc with my muscle memory.

For two years I tried to convince myself that I'd get used to it, but a couple of weeks ago, I tried a 2015 15" MBP in an Apple Store, and my Stockholm syndrome vanished instantly. I found a lightly used, maxed out model on Craigslist, and have been using it ever since. Having ports again is just a bonus; it's the scissor keyboard that makes me actually look forward to using my computer again. I didn't realize how much low-grade anxiety the new keyboard was causing me.

The Magic Keyboard is the one new Apple keyboard that I've tried and actually like. It has lower travel than the older keyboards, but also has scissor switches and traditional-size keycaps. I'd like to see Apple put that on the next line of MacBooks. Phil Schiller could say, "We've brought the Magic Keyboard to the MacBook Pro," and it wouldn't have to frame the news as a failure of the butterfly generation.

6. Gameboy70 macrumors 6502

Gameboy70

I don't have a problem with the larger trackpad myself, but I don't see what advantage increasing the size brings to the user experience, either.

You really don't want to get me started on my contempt for butterfly keyboards, which I've been using for over two years. The 2017 keyboard (the third revision!) with the gaskets added is less terrible the 2015 rMB, but not enough to keep me from selling it after four months for a 2015 MBP. No more stuck keys and typos for me.

No one every complained about MagSafe being proprietary, except maybe on (*cough*) Slashdot.

Well, three if one is occupied as a charger. Meanwhile, the 2015 I'm on has three USB-A ports, two TB 2, an HDMI port, and an SD card reader—oh, and a MagSafe charger.

As Ben Thompson eloquently put it, USB-C only is faux simplicity; it offloads the complexity to the user. On the 13" Touch Bar version, all four ports look the same, but only two support Thunderbolt (zero on the 12" MB). You have to make sure the USB-C cable you want to use supports Thunderbolt. Finding a USB-C monitor that unequivocally supports a 12" MB or 13" MBP is a research project. Apple treats "more ports" and "more versatile ports" as equivalent demands, but the latter just results in "more dongles".

For all the sophistry over what "Pro" really means, at a minimum a pro machine should address more rarified use cases than a mass market version: more RAM, a wider array of ports, and a keyboard ergonomically conducive to writing or coding all day, every day.

7. kentsydney macrumors regular

Decent protective cases which last and aren’t over priced.

My third Apple silicone case for my 6s plus fell apart after less than 6 months so went for a new one today.

Apple Azu$59, pop up accessory store AU25 and dollar shop AU$2.

Took a chance on 2$ one and I love it.

It’s honestly better than the other two as it has nice soft protective corners.

Apple seem to have lost their way a bit I think and just seem to be treating their very loyal customers with contempt.and I’m an unashamed fan boy I admit but they are loosing their halo

8. Gameboy70 macrumors 6502

Gameboy70

Amen. As Steve would say, "Imagine looking at that all day, every day."

9. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

1. Quit billing minor features as breakthrough innovations worthy of a relatively high price.

2. Quit paying your execs tens of millions to make stupid mistakes and/or valueless decisions (see Schiller on Mac Pro; Ahrendts on Genius Groves; Cue on everything he does).

3. Be more transparent and more diligent on bugs and security.

4. Stop stripping features in the name of design or “innovation” (see MBP).

5. Bring back your WiFi team.

6. Remember in app purchases and foreign markets didn’t build your brand.

7. Stop the apparent planned obsolescence schedules.

8. Lower your prices - you’re rich enough.

10. Gameboy70 macrumors 6502

Gameboy70

As an option, sure. For most users, it's a solution looking for a problem. My boss spilled coffee on his 2016 15" MBP last week, and took it into Apple. I warned him that the repair would be at least $800, based on a similar incident I had with my 2015 12" MacBook. I was only right by half: he had to drop $1700+ to fix it. I'm convinced that at least half of the delta was the T1/TB replacement. Since I'd never seen him use the TB once, I asked him if he ever used it, which he hadn't after the first month.

I've heard from plenty of folks (online, never IRL) who like the Touch Bar, but never from anyone suggesting that it was indispensable.

11. BrendanIsAwesome macrumors newbie

In the next update of IOS 11, I would like to see the Emergency SOS function in restrictions and when I press the side button and one of the volume changers, the Emergency SOS slider missing as it would be in restrictions

Attached Files:

12. Pismo4u macrumors newbie

I've owned every generation of "Towers" that apple has made since the Powermac 9600 through the 2012 Mac Pro. Skipped the trashcan Mac Pro. Been waiting for the "new" one for quite some time.

Top of my list is the "New" Mac Pro. I hope it really is upgradeable.

I wish they would re-introduce an updated iPod Classic, perhaps thinner w/ flash memory and a more audiophile DAC. That wheel is easy to use without looking at the screen all the time. Why own an iPod Touch if you already have an iPhone?

The new "Pro Display" to have a really good anti-reflective coating or have the option for the customer to order without the shinny cover as in a matte finish. The last 27" Thunderbolt display I had developed a green hue on one side and a red hue on the other, followed by a power supply failure, plus I had to look at my reflection all the time. What a waste of money that one was. Went back to the high end NEC and Eizo pro monitors.

I would be awesome if apple could make an ergonomic "split" keyboard for desktops.

Put the charging port back at the front on the Magic Mouse so you can use while charging, not the bottom.

13. Jonathantuba macrumors regular

Jonathantuba

If the MacBook had touch screen, I would consider buying one again. As it is I am so used to iPad that i miss touch screen if using MacBook

14. Calebt59 macrumors member

Bigger Battery in iPhone and get rid of camera bump.

15. maximumca macrumors newbie

Simple request: auto pause for activity app please

16. berrymetal macrumors regular

berrymetal

Color is the least thing I care for, I need a physical button in it (at least just one!), Haptic feedback would be cool also.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 4, 2018 ---
    I know about this. But you never know they might get back to that business! They didn't discontinue the product though...

17. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Here's something I would like to see, but for some inexplicable reason, I feel we never will: a backlit keyboard for the iMac. I understand that it would have to be wired, but so what? I preferred the wired keyboard anyway.

18. Amun Ra macrumors newbie

Amun Ra

ipad mini 5 with smaller bezels but bigger screen (ala 10.5 inch ipad).
    8.2 to 8.5 inches so it would be a lot bigger than an iPhone plus.
    FM radio please!

SPORTi Pod
    basically a smaller iPod touch with micro bezels
    3 to 3.5 inch screen size
    has run, swim, training, and bike computer mode
    has gps and nfc
    loooong battery life with fast charging
    access to app store
    64 gig, 128 gig, 256 gig options
    clip on case included
    FM radio please!

19. smock Suspended

20. acblue94 macrumors regular

acblue94

Because the iPhone X was basically the screen size of the iPhone 8 plus already.

21. Yo-Yo Buffalo macrumors newbie

I want to see Apple get with the program, wake up and make something innovative like the Microsoft Surface Studio.

22. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Someone earlier mentioned turning the HomePod also into a Wi-Fi Mesh network range extender. Excellent thinking!

23. mdbradigan macrumors regular

mdbradigan

Thanks! ("one more thing" is sorely needed these days am thinking)

24. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

- An OS that will be with us for at least 3 years, version updates being solely bug fixes. (Ok, this will only happen in my dreams no doubt)!

- A new user-upgradeable Mac Mini - similar 6.5" x 6.5" profile to the pre 2010 models (or smaller) that I can place inside my G4 Cube housing to replace current Core 2 Duo.
    or
    - A breathtaking design (think re-looked Cube) small-footprint desktop computer with new matching speakers. At a price to defy the competition.
    - Make us proud once again to own an Apple computer that is not a throwaway, non-repairable object after 3-5 years!

My 2.26GHz MacMini3,1 'Cube'

Cube-Core-2-Duo.jpg

25. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Excellent G4 Cube!

Just know Apple already did a re-look Cube ... in a cylinder
    [​IMG]