What Do You Want to See From Apple in 2018?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 1, 2018.

1. themastermind macrumors member

themastermind

I actually like the Touch Bar, with one exception, the stinking escape button on it. I'm a developer and server admin, so I do a lot in the terminal, and not having a real escape button is annoying as heck. Other than that, it's pretty handy, especially with Better Touch Tool installed where you can create your own buttons that are app specific.

2. dmille6 macrumors newbie

from what i understand nVidia wont play ball with apple. Apple wants to control the drivers to the video cards.. nvidia wants to control their drivers and access to the nvidia hardware.. ATI was more flexible.

3. currocj macrumors regular

• Mac Pro - modular
    • iPhone camera as good in low light as the Pixel 2
    • For Apple to become neutral/silent in politics

4. fairuz, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Probably explains why Apple goes with AMD. Regardless, Nvidia is no problem in Ubuntu and Windows for the end-user like me.

5. Macuser1313 macrumors newbie

A true iPad which can replace Mac book. Similar to surface I should be able to do exactly what I can in Mac including loading dmz files

6. Schnegg macrumors member

Schnegg

Just fix some issues.

- MacBook: no thunderbolt, weak CPU, ****** keyboard
    - MacBook Air: not retina, no successor
    - MacBook Pro: connectivity, ****** keyboard, no non touch bar 15"
    - iMac: still spinning disk models, chin
    - Mac mini: just give us a new model with ports, removable RAM and M.2 SSD
    - Mac Pro: there better be a big heatsink with tons of slots
    - Airport: new mesh router please
    - iPhone: the lineup is a mess, just make high and low end specs in three useful sizes sizes
    - iPad: don‘t care
    - AppleWatch: red dot, battery life
    - AppleTV: fix the remote, make airplay better
    - Airpods/Beats/Homepod: enough with the booming, give us a setting for balanced Hi-Fi tuning
    - macOS: take your time and make it rock solid
    - macOS Server App: pick up the ball you dropped, his could be awesome

7. ScottYelich macrumors newbie

PLEASE FIX THE CRASH UPON WAKE

Run an OS prior to 10.12.5 -- no problems.
    Run anything 10.12.6 up through current betas ==> wake from sleep = black screen, locked keyboard, kernel panic after ~ 40 seconds.

If my machine goes to sleep for LONGER than 26 seconds, it will experience a black screen, locked keyboard and kernel panic after ~ 40 seconds.

Why do I need to put in systrace after systrace after systrace on this issue (that apple says is a dupe)?
    Is it related to NVRAM? SMC? GIVE US BETTER TOOLS THAN "MAGICAL" key combinations at/during/before boot that may or may not actually be doing anything because we can't see any change from before to after.

Why does my machine take 18 seconds for the screen to appear to receive power? No sound at start up -- I can't tell if my machine is booting or not -- there is NO indication for 18 seconds... (no lit icon, no power plug light indicator, no keyboard, no sound, just high sierra dreaming ...) press the power button again? wait? get a drink of water?

A ~ $3K top of the line flagship Apple "Pro" laptop -- and it can't even wake from sleep.

I don't care about animated poop emojis -- I do care about having to (re)boot my machine constantly due to it locking up... crashing.

You know what I want to see from Apple in '18? I want to see that it just works, or in this case, it's just f'n fixed already! After that, maybe I'll start some wishful thinking about how I could use animated poop emojis.

Scott
    ps: private message me if you want to know what I REALLY think.

8. n8mac macrumors 6502

A Mac that I can game on in MacOS, not Windows.

9. HJM.NL macrumors 65816

HJM.NL

1. iOS and macos merge: stable, thrust worthy all in one OS that’s more customizable and modern than the look and feel of iOS today. Better multitasking and touch capabilities between all Mac devices. Multi user and multitasking. Real file managing across all devices.
    2. State of the art design and tech: I don’t mind paying for premium but it has to deserve the premium prizes by being competitive priced compared to what’s on the market.
    3. A Siri that does understand your questions and is able to respond to follow up questions.
    4. Better Apple maps at least as good as Google maps. With cycling and walking trails. And more flyovers than just three cities in my country. It’s a shame to see google has flyovers and street view of whole our country already.
    5. Better iCloud and services. Each year the gap is widening in favor of competitors. When buying 256 gb iPhone X, you expect a free capable back up of 256 gb. Also if you own more Apple products you expect to get more free iCloud space. You now get 5 gb on one account. You expect the sum of 5 gb for each Apple device you own.
    6. Better integration through out all your Mac devices. Will be possible if number 1 comes true.
    7. Regular hardware updates so Apple will be a thrust worthy company for future investments.
    8. Together with the modular Mac Pro a real Apple branded monitor so it visual integrates with the rest of the Apple hardware (good for branding too).
    9. Rearrange some of the USB-C ports on the iMac in the stand on the front. It’s a real pain to access those ports on the back.
    10. A better quality lightning cable. The ones I get from Apple always break near the connector after 6 months of use. For the price of the cable you expect better quality. Premium prices means premium quality.
    11. A better stand for the iMac which can also adjust in height.
    12. Cheaper and competitive priced Apple TV. It’s a hard sell for me especially when modern smart tv’s offer the same or better built in than the Apple what the Apple TV has to offer. And yes... android is far ahead in this space.
    13. A more humble Apple that actually listens to the wishes of their customers and a less arrogant Apple that opens their eyes and see that they’re getting behind the competition in many, many, many crucial areas.

10. Schnegg macrumors member

Schnegg

Oh, and there are still iMessage sync bugs in 2018.

11. Ploki macrumors 68020

doesn't have a decent desktop without a screen attached either.
    or a decent power-house without a screen attached...

12. Sonic macrumors regular

new mac pro and mbp 6 core (preferably non-tb)

13. Ploki macrumors 68020

whats wrong with tb?

14. Sonic macrumors regular

for coding and gaming the lack of a physical escape button is a real issue for me. plus i'd rather have the $400 difference + extra battery life. also while composing music, the slower volume control method is a big step back

15. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

An updated iPad mini would be my top wish.

In fact, I'd hope it becomes iPad Pro mini. Same specs as iPad Pro, but 7.9" screen. Better yet, with an iPhone X design, including TrueDepth camera (Face ID), edge-to-edge design (making the outside dimensions smaller while keeping screen size same), maybe even OLED screen if it can be affordable enough.

16. SeattleMoose macrumors 68000

- A way to set the length of an Apple Timer or Alert...they seem to run forever unless you physically touch the iDevice
    - Re-engineer iTunes into what it really is...iMedia. Apple has been lazy and has just kept slapping on functionality. And as such iTunes is a bloated mess.
    - Keep entry of a PW as an option to logon to an iDevice (for those of us who do not want bio)
    - Adjust philosophy of looks over functionality. Having your main design goal as slimmer and lighter is ok but only if it does not work against functionality (e.g. removal of HP jack and traditional I/O ports).

17. macsforme macrumors member

In line with what many others have said, my wish is for a traditional desktop (not all-in-one) mac with modern components, upgradeable storage and memory, and which can be configured with a decent dedicated GPU and quad-core or better processor. I would also want it to be priced so the average customer (such as I) can afford it, perhaps in line with how the Mac Mini has been priced.

18. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

The things that I'd like to see from Apple in 2018 (which I know will never happen):

iPad Mini Plus (updated iPad Mini with support for Apple Pencil)
    Mouse support for iPad Pro.
    12" Macbook Air (Current Macbook Air shrunken down to 12")

19. shmeffrey macrumors member

Events back in the Mac Photos app. Memories suck and creating a new album is a pain.

20. makembprogreatagain macrumors newbie

13" MacBookPro:
    1. top of the line specs available without the touchbar (It accidentally causes the computer to do things when barely touched and has zero tactile feel. Real buttons were better.)
    2. better keyboard (not loud and clicky like earliest production models of current MBPros)
    3. battery charge indicator lights on both sides of MacBookPro (minimally an orange to green light, better would be a progress indicator). Currently have to open it to see if charged.
    4. Matte screen
    5. Nice to have: lighter-weight & tiny charger brick with 3x integrated USB-C ports, ideally with USB-C PowerDelivery (team up with FinSIX for small size and Anker for PowerDelivery, though get FinSix to deliver on time). Charge laptop, phone, and one other device simultaneously.
    6. Maybe carbon fiber body for lighter weight
    7. Keep AUX jack! Just to make sure they don't do anything stupid again.
    8 1080p facetime camera

iPhone:
    1. USB-C for cable simplicity
    2. AUX jack
    3. dual SIM for travel (we're a traveling generation)
    4. wider angle selfie camera, almost as wide as Samsung S7 was (just barely not as wide as the S7 would be perfect), which has an amazing selfie cam

21. sterlingindigo macrumors 6502

sterlingindigo

22. mystic.realm macrumors newbie

All New 2018 18" MacBook Pro
    • 18" Ultra Wide Touch Screen 19x10 aspect ratio
    • SD CARD READER
    • USB 3.0
    • USB type C
    • Function Button Keys are back
    Its professional again! We are thinking of you professional photographers and videographers, welcome back.

23. Ploki macrumors 68020

oh crap, I forgot about the escape... (I don't have TB equipped Mac)

for composing music tho (as much as I tried) touch bar in Logic Pro X offers some neat functions. (music is my main use)

yes escape is a pita. they should've left it.

24. LorenK macrumors 6502

25. cyberdocwi macrumors newbie

Apple has disappointed me over the last several years. The removal of common expected professional ports on a MacBook Pro bubbles to the top, closely followed by the removal of a audio jack on the iPhone. I wish to keep a minimal dongle setup.

I am not a fuddy-duddy yet, but I want my machines to work daily as expected, and update on my schedule.

1) MacBook Pro with MagSafe, same port layout as the 2015 device. I run 3 external displays with my MBP (2013) and it is bad enough that I need 2 dongles for it. Bring back ethernet. This is a Professional machine, and my work requires ethernet.

2) Stop a new MacOS every year! El Cap does what I need it to do, and not interested in Siri or other broken High Sierra stuff. Or develop a longer release cycle. Next OS obsoletes my El Cap. My computer works the way I want it to. Don't fix it.

3) Easy method of backing out iOS updates. iOS 9 works great on my iPhone 5c. I don't want 10. Stop sending me daily reminders to update.

I refuse windows, and my next Mac might be Linux. My backup computer is a nice HP laptop running CentOS 7, and over 3/4 of my life can be easily migrated there. Apple may very well loose another customer. While I understand the flash bang OOO AHHHH of the younger crowd and their emoti cons, I need the real function keys and hard ports.

Happy New Years!