Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
The Droid Charge is a low to mid level phone (more on the low end considering the specs are pretty much 1 yr old tech). It's an entry level phone. I think if you want to look at how well android can run, a better representative would be the Nexus S, G2X, Sensation, or Galaxy S2. Looking at a phone with old specs is like me saying that IOS on the Iphone 3g is slow (not exactly a good litmus test for an entire OS). I'm all for making both sides of an argument but let's at least be objective.

The Charge and Thunderbolt are the flagship LTE phones for Verizon. If the Charge is one year old tech, then Samsung is putting out garbage if 1 year old tech is that bad. The iphone 4 tech is 1+ year old, and if it can perform so much better than Samsung 1 year old tech, then I have low regards for their newer models. When the iPhone 5 comes out, a year later, Samsung newer tech will still be worse.

Alexjones

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
This is the bottom line. The iphone works. Its clean and uncluttered. I never had an issue with it

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
The Charge and Thunderbolt are the flagship LTE phones for Verizon. If the Charge is one year old tech, then Samsung is putting out garbage if 1 year old tech is that bad. The iphone 4 tech is 1+ year old, and if it can perform so much better than Samsung 1 year old tech, then I have low regards for their newer models. When the iPhone 5 comes out, a year later, Samsung newer tech will still be worse.

The droid charge is not verizon's flagship phone, neither is the thunderbolt. These are just phones they came out with that have similar specs to phones released last year on sprint (4g) and now they have 4g on Verizon. Verizon has not released their flagship phone yet. Their flagship phone is the Droid X2. And I won't even get into an iphone comparison with you because that's apples and oranges (no pun intended), though the iphone 4 is about a year old it is still currently Apple's "best phone". All I'm saying is if you're going to try to make a judgement on an entire OS based on lower end phones that "just came out" then you aren't going to get a true representation. Hell the Nexus One came out before the iphone 4 did and it runs better than the Droid Charge. Put it this way, what you did is akin to going to the store picking up a computer with a celeron processor and a bunch of crapware running on it and then saying the OS sucks. I try to be a bit more objective when I'm approaching things, that way I give everything a fair shake and try not to miss out on things.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
iPhone does not stand a chance against Android.

Android is free and open source where iPhone is propertary.

How can an os that cost money and its souce is closed to everybody compete with a free one:eek:

Your rationale doesn't really make sense. Whether Android is free or not, the phones still cost the consumer money. A high end Android powered phone costs about the same as an iphone so your argument doesn't have much validity to it.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

Android is free and open source where iPhone is propertary.

How can an os that cost money and its souce is closed to everybody compete with a free one:eek:

Linux is free and open source whilst Windows is proprietary.
Your argument is weightless based on the success of Windows being proprietary.

dellAbait

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

mysterioustko said:
demimoore10 said:

Android is free and open source where iPhone is propertary

Your rationale doesn't really make

sense. Whether Android is free or not, the phones still cost the consumer money. A high end Android powered phone costs about the same as an iphone so your argument doesn't have much validity to it.

Demi... You have all the answers. Hey, did you ever think of shorting apple stock? It might be more profitable than buying a phone and trying to make everybody love it.... Send me a pm i'll put you in touch with a good broker.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
lol...now i remember why i stopped checking the iPhone sub-forum everyday. Still the same as ever in recent times.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
Understand the comparison you're making. Of course IOS could run with low end hardware...it is an app drawer. I think both OS's have their ups and downs but I really don't think you can compare the two in the way you did. Android is designed to be more dynamic which requires more horsepower whereas IOS is a grid of static icons..it shouldn't take much horsepower for that. Not exactly an apples to apples (no pun intended lol) comparison.

well obviously. but it also has a lot to do with the fact that iOS is painstakingly optimized for each phone, while android is not, and that iOS is a native piece of software, while andriod and all its apps are an emulator running in linux.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
After SGII was released, it seems that the iPhone is actually killed this time.

People say the android is laggy, sg2 proves wrong
people say iphone has the best screen, sg2 prevails again BY A LONG SHOT
people say iphone has the best camera, sg2 gets 1080p recording
people say flash destroys the browser experience, sg2 dual core proves wrong
people say sg2 is ugly with plastic, yet very few americans have actually seen and or felt one. THIS WILL BE ABLE TO WITHSTAND A 5 FOOT FALL ONTO THE CARPET AND NOT SHATTER

the only thing that is arguementative right now is the appstore. But now android has NFS, asphalt, angry birds-3 (regular, season, rio), fatbooth, etc.

and btw, i have an iphone and always will. The only thing iphone has going for it is the status symbol. That truly is the only reason i still and always will have mine. Stop bashing android, its grown exponentially to where it is even with the iphone. The tablets for android suck, dont bring those up.

Hmmmm...what about battery life? Wonder how long SGS2 can stay charged it you're out and about during the day? But really the point is who cares what the "Best" is. I love my iPhone 4 and that's all that matters to me.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010

people say sg2 is ugly with plastic, yet very few americans have actually seen and or felt one. THIS WILL BE ABLE TO WITHSTAND A 5 FOOT FALL ONTO THE CARPET AND NOT SHATTER

the only thing that is arguementative right now is the appstore. But now android has NFS, asphalt, angry birds-3 (regular, season, rio), fatbooth, etc.

and btw, i have an iphone and always will. The only thing iphone has going for it is the status symbol. That truly is the only reason i still and always will have mine. Stop bashing android, its grown exponentially to where it is even with the iphone. The tablets for android suck, dont bring those up.

You're forgetting Apple customer service. The best in the world.

I wouldnt say the SG2 prevails by a long shot in terms of screen, i have held one and looking up close the retina display still wins.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

OP, until the items below change, your items above don't matter. Profit talks, specs walk.

-Apple makes more money from their mobile phones than Nokia, Samsung and LG combined

-Android Provides More Eyeballs to Advertisers, While iPhone Offers Most Revenue to App Creators, Study Finds

-Apple Has 50% Of The Profits From Major Phone Makers

Oh and by the way:

April 11 2011:Apple Leapfrogs Motorola and HTC to Become No. 3 Phone Seller in U.S.

"The iPhone 4 was the top individual phone model, followed by the iPhone 3GS, Motorola Droid X, HTC EVO 4G, and HTC Droid Incredible."

Last edited:

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
People don't normally choose a phone according to which manufacturer is making the most money from them.

It would be interesting if stores had to post the instant and predicted longterm profit that a maker is going to get from each device.

That was not the intent of the links. The OP listed a comparison of specs. The iphone spec wise does not match up. However it appears from the links that does not matter, iphones are doing well. Until that changes, you have what you have concerning Apple and implementing specs to keep up with the pack.

There is no need for them to keep up spec wise as long as they are raking in the money.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
That was not the intent of the links. The OP listed a comparison of specs. The iphone spec wise does not match up. However it appears from the links that does not matter, iphones are doing well. Until that changes, you have what you have concerning Apple and implementing specs to keep up with the pack.

There is no need for them to keep up spec wise as long as they are raking in the money.

Iphone will continue to do well simply because it is the only option you have if you want IOS on your phone. Since apple doesn't give you any options as far as what type of device you want IOS to run on (speaking on phones) you have to get an iphone if that is what you want. Just like some people prefer android over IOS, there are some people that prefer IOS over android and because of that preference they have to buy an iphone. Put it this way, if there were only one phone that ran android then that one particular phone would very high sales also because anyone that wanted that OS would be required to purchase that phone. So touting manufacturer sales numbers doesn't really make sense because you're comparing a phone to an OS. iphone sales SHOULD be higher because it's a singular product only available in one form whereas with the android platform there is a cornucopia of choices to pick from so the sales won't be concentrated onto one manufacturer.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010

Are you some type of moron or something? The iphone 4 was released last June, when did the Galaxy 2 come out?

God you must be from one of these undeveloped countries or something.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Played with a SGS2 and the build quality is typical plastic crap from Samsung. Doesn't feel premium. The screen colors pop but resolution is grainy to me. And THERE IS lag still with Android with the Touch Wiz interface.

It is no where as smooth as iOS, Windows Phone 7 and stock Gingerbread.
Also with flash turned on in the browser, it lags at various times when pinching to zoom in and out along with moving around the page.

#Overhyped

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I had an iPhone 3G and loved it but saw Android was "maturing" so jumped ship last year. The EVO and Epic were the two phones I owned and I've come to realize that Android wins only in notifications and widgets. Take launchers, extra keyboards, rooting, ROMS, all that stuff out of the equation. We're talking straight out of the box here. The iPhone is easier to use, has nicer animations and I would admit, a much nicer build quality than basically any Android device. It's crazy how cheap a majority of Android phones feel, and the apps are so watered down compared to their iOS counterparts it can make it difficult to live with. Android is fragmented badly and glitchy, and once the manufacturers get ahold of it and add their skins and bloatware, well you have no choice but to root if you want the clean experience an iPhone gives you without all the BS. The update process is also a pain, seeing as the carriers AND the manufacturers have to see eye-to-eye on everything, and it messes everything up, because half the time nobody knows what the hell is going on.

Android is just a headache after a while, so don't get spoiled by the specs of these "superphones". the iPhone is still the top dog, and if the notifications are improved and we get widgets....It's over.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
When it comes down to the nitty gritty, all that really matters is the quality of the network. You can have the so called "best" phone on a crappy network, and the owner of that phone will say the phone is crap. Unfortunately, most networks have issues, so there will always be people will bad experiences with their phones. In reality, the wireless industry technology is not that good. Major changes need to be made to bring that fiction they promote, closer to reality. 4G is a gimmick.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Amazes me after the whole Mac vs PC thing that people are still worried about specifications.

Mac has always ran on lower specs and never had the issues PC's with higher specs had.

The same thing is in play here. iOS runs on lower specs smoother with less issues than Android OS even if they have dual cores.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I had an iPhone 3G and loved it but saw Android was "maturing" so jumped ship last year. The EVO and Epic were the two phones I owned and I've come to realize that Android wins only in notifications and widgets. Take launchers, extra keyboards, rooting, ROMS, all that stuff out of the equation. We're talking straight out of the box here. The iPhone is easier to use, has nicer animations and I would admit, a much nicer build quality than basically any Android device. It's crazy how cheap a majority of Android phones feel, and the apps are so watered down compared to their iOS counterparts it can make it difficult to live with. Android is fragmented badly and glitchy, and once the manufacturers get ahold of it and add their skins and bloatware, well you have no choice but to root if you want the clean experience an iPhone gives you without all the BS. The update process is also a pain, seeing as the carriers AND the manufacturers have to see eye-to-eye on everything, and it messes everything up, because half the time nobody knows what the hell is going on.

Android is just a headache after a while, so don't get spoiled by the specs of these "superphones". the iPhone is still the top dog, and if the notifications are improved and we get widgets....It's over.

100% agree. My phone history: iPhone 3GS, Nexus One, Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S), HTC Inspire 4G, and iPhone 4. I've done the whole shibang, rooting, custom ROMs, all that junk. (atleast) Rooting is basically necessary to have anything close to a good experience. People, don't get drawn in by specs. You'll regret it.

---
Sent from my second generation, tabular Apple product

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Amazes me after the whole Mac vs PC thing that people are still worried about specifications.

Mac has always ran on lower specs and never had the issues PC's with higher specs had.

The same thing is in play here. iOS runs on lower specs smoother with less issues than Android OS even if they have dual cores.

This is good. I always say this to my friends because a Mac running a processor a few years old may perform better than a PC running newer tech.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Exactly. Duo core is another gimmick for phones. So they are micro seconds faster. Whoopee. Are they going to make the call quality better, no. Will my apps operate significantly better than they do now? No, because they already work well. Will my text messages be somehow amazing? No. People think that duo core is somehow super technology that will dramatically change their phone experience. Its such a scam to get people to buy new phones every year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.