Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
Business owner (consultancy)
Assistant Professor (American naming) in Strategic Financial Management at <not for disclosure>, a European university.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Line cook/Cashier at Five Guys (it's a fast-casual chain). I hate working the grills and making damn burgers, but I don't mind working the register too much (except when I have to deal with some douchebad self-rigtous fratboy). But what can I say, it puts gas in my car, covers the payment for my accord each month (also the fact that out of my friends I'm the only person with a sub 100,000 mile car makes me feel happy:p), and allows me to go to the movies without begging my mom for money which is a real plus. Bottom line, I hate my job, I like what it gives me (that includes a free meal for every 4 hours I work).

-Don

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
Line cook/Cashier at Five Guys (it's a fast-casual chain). I hate working the grills and making damn burgers, but I don't mind working the register too much (except when I have to deal with some douchebad self-rigtous fratboy). But what can I say, it puts gas in my car, covers the payment for my accord each month (also the fact that out of my friends I'm the only person with a sub 100,000 mile car makes me feel happy:p), and allows me to go to the movies without begging my mom for money which is a real plus. Bottom line, I hate my job, I like what it gives me (that includes a free meal for every 4 hours I work).

-Don

It's sad that someone who spells, types, and punctuates, as well as you do, is relegated to flipping burgers. It's amazing to me how many people can't even write a proper sentence.

Last edited:

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Worked as a registered clinical photographer, and starting graduate-entry medical school in London in September. I'll qualify in four years time, and have organised locum clinical photography work during that time as well.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
Apple Certified Tech. I'll start my Science Informatics degree this fall, though. :)

tktaylor1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
I figured out that I want to work for ESPN. I am thinking like broadcast producer or cameraman. Something like that and to the post above, okay.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Looks like I'm making the jump from the business side of a construction company and giving pt golf lessons to software sales. If only I knew a little more about DNS Servers and Webmetrics.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Hi tktaylor1,

Nice to see a Nashvillian on the boards. I was born and raised in the greaty city of Nashville.

I'm a professional therapist who has worked in a variety of behavioral health areas. My current job is in the foster care industry.

Here's my take on the issue of vocation tktaylor1. There are generally two types of people in the world.

The first group plans their career around something they enjoy and/or are passionate about. These are the one's who say things like "I love my job, it's amazing to me that I get paid to do something I love every day..." Long hours typically don't matter, pay may not matter, the point is that they get to do what they enjoy in life at work every day.

The second type are people that work simply to generate income. Their passions and enjoyment in life comes from what they do outside of their job. Sure they don't take jobs that would make them miserable, but the point is that their primary focus is on other things, family, hobbies, traveling, music, charity, etc. etc. Working is simply what pays the bills so that they can focus on what they really enjoy in life.

I have many friends who work in a field that is directly related to their passions. Many of these people feel they were "called" or "put on this earth" to be in the vocation they are in. I have other friends that went into fields that didn't "motivate" them and that they particularly weren't passionate about simply because it would provide a great income. With the freedom that such wealth provides they are able to focus on their family, their church, their community, and many other of their central passions in life. To them a job is a job and if they change careers, oh well, as long as it provides the income level they require they really couldn't care less.

It's rare, but some people manage to accomplish both of these at the same time. They find a job that they absolutely love and it provides the income and time for them to enjoy other passions as well.

The thing about life is that often you will find yourself alternating between these two options as circumstances, priorities, and values change/evolve over your lifetime. The key is knowing yourself well enough to identify your passions and priorities and then finding balance in life between them.

This is great advice, thanks.

iliketyla

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'm a call center worker for Apple doing sales support and customer service.

Going to school to become an automotive/diesel technician.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Army Officer. Very rewarding if you enjoy traveling and being in action every so often. Keeps you in shape and the pay isn't anything to complain about either.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
It's sad that someone who spells, types, and punctuates, as well as you do, is relegated to flipping burgers. It's amazing to me how many people can't even write a proper sentence.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. I'm not great at detecting sarcasm, never have been, and I probably never will be. I'm not too miffed about flipping burgers, as I'm only 16, and it is a first job. To be honest though, I probably wouldn't have taken the job had I not graduated from high school early. I'm now taking classes at the local community college, and I just got tired of taking the bus to class each day (some weird people ride the bus in Ann Arbor); and my Mom refused to fully pay for a car, insurance, and gas. So working is basically just my way of escaping public transit.

I mean I really don't mind the job that much, except for the fact that some of the students on the University of Michigan campus are total jerks. Half the kids on the campus have been given everything in life by their parents without having to work for it, and so they look down upon those of us who haven't been handed everything. I mean it's not like my family struggles with money, my Mom is an equity partner at one of the largest law firms in the midwest, and my dad (who lives in NYC) is an executive at Goldman Sachs (yes they're divorced but there's alimony and child support involved). My Mom just thinks that kids should have to work to pay for extra things they want, just like she had to (even though her parents were fairly well off).

So do I plan to flip burgers for the rest of my life? No. I do plan on working through college and med school, though. I'd rather not take on more debt than I have to in college, and I'd like to have some spending money too, because I really hate ramen noodles.

Anyways I guess I should stop rambling now:eek:

-Don

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I figured out that I want to work for ESPN. I am thinking like broadcast producer or cameraman. Something like that and to the post above, okay.

Are you prepared to live in Bristol, Connecticut? That's where they are headquartered. I have several friends who work there as directors, shooters, and editors.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Airline pilot. Overall it's fun, but across the industry, it's not the well paid job it used to be. For that become a Wallstreet banker. ;)

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I received a BA in psychology. I then received my MFA in photography, which is what I do. The work I make appears in galleries, magazines, and other types of publications. I don't shoot weddings, seniors, or commercial stuff. My photography is a form of artwork, though I do receive private commission work. My steady salary is through being a professor of photography. I get to make my work, and pass on what I've learned to students. Great way to live.

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
When girls ask me what I do I usually say "I'm at the forefront of exploration" because it sounds impressive.

But in reality I'm a field assistant which involves camping in remote parts of the Australian outback taking soil/rock samples or helping geologist on drill rigs. Also involves a lot of putting small bags in big bags. Sometimes i put bags into a box, thats when it gets really exciting. :p

Despite essentially being a ***** kicker I love my job. I get to drive quad bikes and go 4WDing all day. I've been to places no other man has ever been before.

As well as this I'm only doing this whilst taking a break from doing my uni degree which i'm half way through, meaning I won't have to work when I go back to uni.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Airline pilot. Overall it's fun, but across the industry, it's not the well paid job it used to be. For that become a Wallstreet banker. ;)

I know when I think of pilot, I think $$$,$$$; 6-figures. Is it not that way anymore?

I have a buddy whose getting ready to start flight school for rotary wing. Pretty cool occupation if you ask me.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'm a lighting designer and technician/electrician for theatre, corporate, exhibitions, and sometimes TV.

It's what I've wanted to do since I was literally old enough to think. As a young child, I wanted nothing more than to play with the dimmers and lights in our house, and would set up flashlights and other things with my stuffed animals and other toys. My dad would get annoyed when he'd take me to Disney on Ice or something, and I'd spend the whole time looking up at the lighting grid or back at the spotlights. Then I went to work for them..ha!

For the most part, I LOVE what I do, and make a pretty good living doing it. But there are definitely some times where the people I work for can make me want to quit and go do something else. It's the whole "We need in done in half the time, for half the budget, and with half the people...but we need the same quality as before" kind of thing.

My other passions are 3D animation and video production. If I wasn't doing what I am now, those would be my other choices.

This is true. It amazes me that some people with some really fancy jobs can barely even write a coherent sentence. It amazes me even more when they say "Who gives a crap?" I even work with people who make fun of me for knowing how to spell and use correct grammar, as if that's a bad thing.

timerollson

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2005
heretothere
I am a financial analyst/research account manager in an energy organization. I like it because I feel like I'm actually helping a greater cause. Many of the sponsored research projects that I help to budget and manage relate to alternative energy.

I plan on staying on for another year and a half and hope to enter an MBA program. I like this industry so I do foresee me working in a related field for the rest of my life.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I work for a company that handles documentation and support for Mac and iOS developers. I'm the lead support person and also manage the rest of the support team.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I know when I think of pilot, I think $$$,$$$; 6-figures. Is it not that way anymore?

I have a buddy whose getting ready to start flight school for rotary wing. Pretty cool occupation if you ask me.

I make just under $150k per year. As a narrow body pilot, this is not the top end. Wide body pilots make more. However, while this is true for major airlines, this is not the case for all of the commuter airline pilots out there that make substantially less. Some start in the range of $15k per year and top out around $60k. If you look at pilot pay in the 1970's it has been a long slow slide down hill since then, while executive pay has gone up up up. It's a good starting point for a discussion of the distribution of wealth in a society but I'll look for another thread to talk about that. ;)

Helo pilot would be an interesting profession, although I have never really liked helos as compared to fixed wing. Does your friend think the job market is favorable for a new helo pilot with low hours? Just wondering. Most of the civil helo jobs are snapped up by Army veterans with thousands of hours.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
NWI73 said:
Yes, right here. I work for a contractor that does work for Sikorsky Aircraft. I am currently working on designs for military aircraft.

Win! I'm studying Mechanical Engineering now. In my 3rd year and worked here over december-jan. Its really cool but I wouldn't want to work military in the long run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.