Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Die Hard (1988) ;)

image.jpeg

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Recently watched Steve Jobs with Fassbender and Rogen. Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. It's a must see film imo! It was a little freighting how spot on Fassbender's performance of Steve was. Of course The Force Awakens was incredibly entertaining as well.

maxresdefault.jpg

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Watched I Am Love with the fam yesterday. Not exactly your kind of feel good flic though.

Other than that I'm waiting for my copy of Friedkin's Sorcerer while being on my latest Tangerine Dream trip (rip Edgar Froese).

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
2001 A Space Odyssey (1968)- Tremendous movie, although I was really disappointed when I saw it at the theater at age 15. It was not the kind of space movie I anticipated, thinking more of something like Angery Red Planet or Forbidden Planet. :p

2001.jpg

The psychology of the H.A.L. 9000 was really intriguing. Even though he's a computer and not a robot, he was A.I. And they over looked Azimov's 3 Rules. :)

Why HAL did what he did:
  1. Hal could not keep secrets.
    This is the reason given by the film and novel. Hal was tasked with keeping the true nature of the mission – that instead of investigating Jupiter they were investigating alien life – secret from Dave and Frank. Hal was not designed to actively withhold information from people and so, when required to lie, experienced a major crisis of logic. Killing the ship’s crew would remove the need to lie to them. Or alternatively, the fact that Dave and Frank became suspicious put into question Hal’s infallibility, which was a doubt he could not cope with. A major function of his was to be “incapable of error.” His ‘mistakes’ regarding the communication equipment were instead deliberate ploys to kill the crew. Link.

KUBRICK: No, I don’t mind discussing it, on the lowest level, that is, straightforward explanation of the plot. You begin with an artifact left on earth four million years ago by extraterrestrial explorers who observed the behavior of the man-apes of the time and decided to influence their evolutionary progression. Then you have a second artifact buried deep on the lunar surface and programmed to signal word of man’s first baby steps into the universe — a kind of cosmic burglar alarm. And finally there’s a third artifact placed in orbit around Jupiter and waiting for the time when man has reached the outer rim of his own solar system. When the surviving astronaut, Bowman, ultimately reaches Jupiter, this artifact sweeps him into a force field or star gate that hurls him on a journey through inner and outer space and finally transports him to another part of the galaxy, where he’s placed in a human zoo approximating a hospital terrestrial environment drawn out of his own dreams and imagination. In a timeless state, his life passes from middle age to senescence to death. He is reborn, an enhanced being, a star child, an angel, a superman, if you like, and returns to earth prepared for the next leap forward of man’s evolutionary destiny. That is what happens on the film’s simplest level. Since an encounter with an advanced interstellar intelligence would be incomprehensible within our present earthbound frames of reference, reactions to it will have elements of philosophy and metaphysics that have nothing to do with the bare plot outline itself.
Link
:):)

Last edited:

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Just got around to seeing Paper Towns last night. I read the book just before summer and wanted to see this on release, but it kinda fell off my radar. It's much lighter than the book, and overall not to the standard as The Fault in Out Stars, but still enjoyable.
image.jpeg

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I've read the book, now it's time to see the film.

The Martian (2015)

View attachment 607357

I've just finished it! I loved it.

2001 A Space Odyssey (1968)- Tremendous movie, although I was really disappointed when I saw it at the theater at age 15. It was not the kind of space movie I anticipated, thinking more of something like Angery Red Planet or Forbidden Planet. :p

2001.jpg

The psychology of the H.A.L. 9000 was really intriguing. Even though he's a computer and not a robot, he was A.I. And they over looked Azimov's 3 Rules. :)

Why HAL did what he did:
  1. Hal could not keep secrets.
    This is the reason given by the film and novel. Hal was tasked with keeping the true nature of the mission – that instead of investigating Jupiter they were investigating alien life – secret from Dave and Frank. Hal was not designed to actively withhold information from people and so, when required to lie, experienced a major crisis of logic. Killing the ship’s crew would remove the need to lie to them. Or alternatively, the fact that Dave and Frank became suspicious put into question Hal’s infallibility, which was a doubt he could not cope with. A major function of his was to be “incapable of error.” His ‘mistakes’ regarding the communication equipment were instead deliberate ploys to kill the crew. Link.

KUBRICK: No, I don’t mind discussing it, on the lowest level, that is, straightforward explanation of the plot. You begin with an artifact left on earth four million years ago by extraterrestrial explorers who observed the behavior of the man-apes of the time and decided to influence their evolutionary progression. Then you have a second artifact buried deep on the lunar surface and programmed to signal word of man’s first baby steps into the universe — a kind of cosmic burglar alarm. And finally there’s a third artifact placed in orbit around Jupiter and waiting for the time when man has reached the outer rim of his own solar system. When the surviving astronaut, Bowman, ultimately reaches Jupiter, this artifact sweeps him into a force field or star gate that hurls him on a journey through inner and outer space and finally transports him to another part of the galaxy, where he’s placed in a human zoo approximating a hospital terrestrial environment drawn out of his own dreams and imagination. In a timeless state, his life passes from middle age to senescence to death. He is reborn, an enhanced being, a star child, an angel, a superman, if you like, and returns to earth prepared for the next leap forward of man’s evolutionary destiny. That is what happens on the film’s simplest level. Since an encounter with an advanced interstellar intelligence would be incomprehensible within our present earthbound frames of reference, reactions to it will have elements of philosophy and metaphysics that have nothing to do with the bare plot outline itself.
Link
:):)

love this one too. i need to own it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The style switches from profiund to ballet to realistic (where the only sound is breathing) to whaaa? :) Granted, HAL was an early attempt at the concept of A.I. But listening to him plead not to be shut down struck me as unsettling. Although his emotions were subtle, they needed to have a emotions off switch. He should accept the judgement of his human masters, never take over, but again, I blame his programmers. You should be able to criticize your A.I. without it deciding kill you. I wonder if HAL even understood the sanctity of life? Again the 3 rules might have made a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
The style switches from profiund to ballet to realistic (where the only sound is breathing) to whaaa? :) Granted, HAL was an early attempt at the concept of A.I. But listening to him plead not to be shut down stuck me as unsettling. Although his emotions were subtle, they needed to have a emotions off switch. He should accept the judgement of his human masters, never take over, but again, I blame his programmers. You should be able to criticize your A.I. without it deciding kill you. I wonder if HAL even understood the sanctity of life? Again the 3 rules might have made a difference.

he he he. yep.

just ordered it from Amazon. ;)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've read the book, now it's time to see the film.

The Martian (2015)

View attachment 607357
I've just finished it! I loved it.

I may have to rearrange my reading priorities. :) A free sample of The Martian is available on iBooks.

Regarding 2001- $2.99 (rent stream), $4.92 (DVD), $24.54 (Blu Ray). 2010: The Year We Make Contact (1984) is also quite good, more coherent ;), and a nice wrap up of the story, featuring HAL again! :)

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I may have to rearrange my reading priorities. :) A free sample of The Martian is available on iBooks.

Regarding 2001- $2.99 (rent stream), $4.92 (DVD), $24.54 (Blu Ray). 2010: The Year We Make Contact (1984) is also quite good, more coherent ;), and a nice wrap up of the story, featuring HAL again! :)

Well I was going to rent it from iTunes but it was cheaper to buy a like new copy from Amazon.

I've seen it and 2010. Really liked them both.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Been watching alot of Star Wars and Indiana Jones during the last two weeks just on loop. Who knows how many times I've seen each film each? Probably 200x combined with 10 films. But it only makes sense considering Back To The Future was on loop during the last week of October. In between, I would watch Bad Santa for giggles.

My gf who has never been a Star Wars fanatic is finally starting to become one. She loved the skits of TFA cast and Roots singing the different theme songs with Jimmy Fallon and the Harrison Ford and Chewbacca skit on Jimmy Kimmel. I told her to download that "Hello" song from Adele. SW has arguably one of the most lovable cast of characters in cinematic history.

Right now, I am beginning my James Bond marathon. It has been about 13+ years since I've seen some of them. I finished Dr. No and currently watching From Russia With Love for the first time which is pretty good so far. I will rewatch some Game of Thrones episodes in between just to see Gwendoline Christie kick more *** in it by Season 2 than her role as Captain Phasma.
_

star-wars-7-force-awakens-kylo-ren-vader-mask.jpg

My 50 Favorite Movie Characters

Kylo Ren

Iron Man
Yoda
Darth Vader

Indiana Jones
Han Solo
Batman
Spider-Man
R2-D2
BB-8

Marty McFly
Emmett "Doc" Brown
Bill Preston
Ted Logan
Bret Maverick
Jay Trotter
Vito Corleone
Jules Winnfield
Nicky Santoro
Tommy DeVito

Ernie McCracken
Drexl Spivy
Biff Tannen
The Joker
Wolverine
Hulk
Thor
Hit-Girl
Black Widow
Captain America

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Chewbacca
Rey
Leia Organa

Henry Jones Sr.
James Bond
Dudley "Booger" Dawson
Ted Clubberlang
Lloyd Christmas
Captain Byron T. Hadley

Honorable mentions: Godzilla, King Kong

Star Wars - 10/50 (20%)

Favorite Movie Series (Currently Running) -
1. Star Wars
2. Marvel Cinematic Universe
3. X-Men
4. DC Expanded Universe
5. James Bond

Opinions will vary to change each day depending on my mood. Honestly, I really don't care about any franchises after MCU. I can rattle literally hundreds of movie characters I've enjoyed and like any role Kevin Spacey and Bill Murray portrays, but those 50+ came to mind to me first coming from most of my favorite movies.

I noticed some movies I enjoy more doesn't equal to movie characters I adore more. I might prefer BTTF over most movies, but it doesn't mean I love BTTF characters the best. I really want to see The Hateful Eight. I think Tarantino can create some memorable characters like Leo and SLJ's roles in Django Unchained. But Jules Winnfield (Pulp Fiction) and Drexl Spivy (True Romance) is the epitome Tarantino for me of COOL. I had to leave out Brad Pitt's Floyd which inspired Pineapple Express or The Dude and Walter.

Indiana Jones v Star Wars

^ I also noticed I can enjoy a series more as a whole but not as individual films. With Indy, I prefer them more individually since it isn't episodic. I favor Last Crusade over any SW film and prefer Indy's worst (KOTCS) over SW's worst (AOTC). But collectively, I probably love SW more. I slightly prefer Indy over Han but SW have superior characters. Indy is more enjoyable to rewatch at home though. Funnier and faster pace. SW is better in the theater and I'm more familiar with SW mythology. Love both series almost as a dead heat. BTTF has always been my #1 since 1990 thanks to I & II.

But when it comes to cos-play costumes, action figures, any merchandising, nothing beats Star Wars for me. I have a keychain of Artoo and want one for BB-8. Me and my gf yesterday took a pic next to a model of Vader. Marvel is my 2nd fav because I adore Iron Man and Spider-Man, but none of their movies are memorable to me like Star Wars is. I absolutely love Mel Gibson's Brett Maverick. He is as charming and likeable as Indiana Jones for me. That's Mel Gibson's charm in full display. But I couldn't rank him higher because I have no urge to buy an action figure or poster of him.

The two coolest to me where if I was 35 going on 12 is still Kylo Ren and Iron Man. I think Adam Drivers looks more of Robert Downey Jr's son than Harrison Ford's. I love them aesthetically. Tony Stark is the cooler Bruce Wayne. Every cool character like James Bond and Sawyer from LOST is in him. The only reason why I can't put Iron Man over Kylo Ren is because I don't enjoy MCU as much as SW and feel I'm more like Ben Solo. Grandpa fanboy. Unpolished. Temperamental. Top class pedigree coming from three other favorites of mine.

Have no urge watching RDJ as Tony Stark in his 60's when we reach 2025 while Driver is close to my age and can portray Ren until we die. Not one Iron Man film cracks my Top 100 favorites along with all Batman films where Batman was my former #1 hero. And no MCU film cracks my Top 30. I just prefer SW far, far more. I could care less with alot of these newer franchises. I generally have most of them downloaded except Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, and Twilight. I'm a byproduct of the 1980's. BTTF, Indy, and SW make up my film series' holy trinity.

Two Of A Kind & Best Ever
382fef5a86e5b531ac2f9b414cd606ab.jpg

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Clash of the Titans (1981)- better than the remake. :)

clash8.jpg

Yeah! Ray Harryhausen fx are awesome.

This morning TCM had on The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) Still my favorite 50s SF film for all the right reasons. Non preachy anti-nuclear war / war film, awesome robot / ship design, Michael ****** really had an otherworldly quality about him, black & white used to beautiful effect, creepy music. This film just works on every level. I dig Gort.

Eagerly awaiting my Sunday Amazon deliveries so I can update my new iMac's ram and then celebrate by watching another "modern" Iron Triangle film, Duel of the Fists. I need some more David Chiang in his awesome early 70s attire...

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.