Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Veterans Day on Monday, lots of war films on this weekend.

The Bridge Over The River Kwai
(1957)- An incredible WWII movie with great characters. Alec Guinness as head of the allied POWS who gets so vested in his project to build a bridge he loses sight of becoming a collaborator. Colonel Saito (Sessue Hayakawa) who ends up relying on his prisoners to complete his mission, because his soldiers lack the technical knowledge. Major Warden (Jack Hawkins) driven to succeed, and most wonderful, William Holden, the all for me, I don't care guy, who wants no part of this mission to destroy the bridge, and ends up becoming vested in its success.

unnamed.jpg
[doublepost=1541898740][/doublepost]The Great Escape (1963)- Another outstanding WWII film, all star cast about POWs trying to escape their German captors. It's a longish movie with a great payoff. Steve McQueen on his motorcycle was pretty thrilling even if it was a stunt man who made the big jump. I don't think the studio would let McQueen do that.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Ant Man And The Wasp (2018)- It was good, fun, but it’s one of those movies where it’s just too calculated and frantic action. The first one was better. ...and I did not see Capt America: Civil War which left AM, Dr Pim and Hope in a legal predicament upon which this movie started, something about going to Germany to help CA. I guess I’ll have to watch that.

Yeah, you have to really watch all the marvel films in the order they were released. And don't forget to watch the end credit scenes, too. I didn't like AMatW because of the overuse of the shrinking tech. It was just silly after a while, here's a whole building shrunk down and we just carry it around. Guess they didn't have any sewer or water hook ups to that building....

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Guns of Navarone (1961)- Good characters, good story, outstanding actors, atmospheric movie because of the music by Dimitri Tiomkin. :D My understanding, loosley based on a true story.

0DB68C4F-6735-4EF9-A06B-84A78134F4B8.jpeg

BCF21C56-63D3-465C-8649-8800C651B176.jpeg

Last edited:

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Just watched "Solo:A Star Wars Story". The reviewers were full of crap. This was a perfectly enjoyable addition to the Star Wars universe. We all liked it perfectly well. Good acting, story and characters and it fit well in the Star Wars film canon. It was no "Star Wars 4, but what is? A good solid movie.

Reactions: pachyderm and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just watched "Solo:A Star Wars Story". The reviewers were full of crap. This was a perfectly enjoyable addition to the Star Wars universe. We all liked it perfectly well. Good acting, story and characters and it fit well in the Star Wars film canon. It was no "Star Wars 4, but what is? A good solid movie.
Did you know at one point this was going to be a comedy? They fixed it, some evidence of that remains. :)

Reactions: pachyderm

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Did you know at one point this was going to be a comedy? They fixed it, some evidence of that remains. :)
Evan as far back as the very first SW movie, there has always been a comedic element where Han Solo was concerned. The character is always associated with some comedic elements. I certainly didn't see the movie as a comedy. It just maintained the usual amount of comedy and joie de vivre that I, as a fan since the 1st one hit the theatres, have come to expect. If "Solo" had been a dead serious drama or written on a par with "The Last Jedi" I certainly would have been seriously disappointed. The movie was spot on with the characters, dialogue and style.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
@RootBeerMan What i liked from the original trinity was the dogfighting, flying, x-wings, etc.... which have been sorely missed in recent movies. Does Solo deliver?

I've sworn off watching any new Star Wars movies, cause they've been abysmal(IMHO) and there are just too many, but i'm willing to make exceptions.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Evan as far back as the very first SW movie, there has always been a comedic element where Han Solo was concerned. The character is always associated with some comedic elements. I certainly didn't see the movie as a comedy. It just maintained the usual amount of comedy and joie de vivre that I, as a fan since the 1st one hit the theatres, have come to expect. If "Solo" had been a dead serious drama or written on a par with "The Last Jedi" I certainly would have been seriously disappointed. The movie was spot on with the characters, dialogue and style.

The Solo movie was ok, but I should watch it again to really nail down my feelings about it.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
@RootBeerMan What i liked from the original trinity was the dogfighting, flying, x-wings, etc.... which have been sorely missed in recent movies. Does Solo deliver?

I've sworn off watching any new Star Wars movies, cause they've been abysmal(IMHO) and there are just too many, but i'm willing to make exceptions.
Yeah, there are some pretty good action scenes in it and some decent flying with the Millennium Falcon. No X-Wings in it, as that's too soon in the timeline and there is no "Rebellion" yet. I thought it had some nice action to it, but not more than it needed.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
The Terminator(1984)
I figured after one good Terminator movie....
Fantastic movie. Great suspense, action, pacing, etc. Some of the props are showing their age/imperfections, but that's just a minor quibble.

300px-Terminator_Poster.jpg

*puts on film-snob hat*...
The level of detail especially in high contrast/hdr scenes is something i've almost forgotten. Just outstanding. It's a shame that many good 'recent' movies are probably recorded digitally, cause there's no going back. One might think this is something which can be faked in post-processing, but you're not going to be able to easily produce details which were never captured to begin with. *sigh* /end-rant

It's these "old" movies, filmed in the 60s-80s that really benefit from BluRay/4KBluRay cause you get to see so much more "real" detail come through.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
What did she think of that Muppets murder mystery cop movie with Melissa... forgot her name, but she played Spicer on SNL.

Wasn't really on her radar that's finely attenuated to Pokemon and other Anime. FYI, you're talking about Melissa McCarthy (and The Happytime Murders, which, in case you didn't know, was a super raunchy adult comedy).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.