Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The Island (2005)- 63% Audience Score RT.
Lincoln Six Echo awaits anxiously to win the lottery so he can leave the facility and go to The Island, the last contamination free paradise in the world, to live the good life, except something is not right. His life is boring, he has nightmares, questions his existence especially when his eyes are opened and his life suddenly gets very exciting.

Yes, it got mixed reviews, but I love this Logan’s Run kind of story. And although it was critiqued as too much “action”, I felt the action suited my needs, outstanding action sequences, interspersed with interesting characters and dialog. Ewan McGregor, Scarlet Johansson, Steve Buscemi, and Sean Bean are really good in this.

Great movie.

It is actually based on the B-movie, "Parts: The Clonus Horror"

(The MST3K version of it is pretty hilarious)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Doom [2005]
1D9B9FF1-BD67-4A2B-817C-A1E74AE6692C.jpeg

I personally like this movie, even though the reviews are sub-par. I grew up playing the video game on the PC (Which the movie is loosely based on) and even to this day, I played the latest rendition of ‘Doom Eternal’on my Xbox One X. (I’m a ‘gamer‘ by trade. 😁)

Anyways, ‘The Rock’ (Dwayne Johnson), and Karl Urban were good in this movie. The CGI is actually really good, it has some gory moments, [especially if you watch the ‘unrated‘ version]. But for what it’s worth, I think this movie held up really well over the years.

The plot is real simple—>A team of Marines are teleported into space to locate a threat that is eliminating employees at a space station. It sounds a bit weird, but actually really works in terms of how the story line plays out.

If you’re looking for a gory thriller/action film, this one actually was probably underrated, even though it was knocked hard, but I liked it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Doom [2005]
View attachment 912216

I personally like this movie, even though the reviews are sub-par. I grew up playing the video game on the PC (Which the movie is loosely based on) and even to this day, I played the latest rendition of ‘Doom Eternal’on my Xbox One X. (I’m a ‘gamer‘ by trade. ?)

Anyways, ‘The Rock’ (Dwayne Johnson), and Karl Urban were good in this movie. The CGI is actually really good, it has some gory moments, [especially if you watch the ‘unrated‘ version]. But for what it’s worth, I think this movie held up really well over the years.

The plot is real simple—>A team of Marines are teleported into space to locate a threat that is eliminating employees at a space station. It sounds a bit weird, but actually really works in terms of how the story line plays out.

If you’re looking for a gory thriller/action film, this one actually was probably underrated, even though it was knocked hard, but I liked it.
Speaking of Doom, the original game came out in 1993, but I was a Mac Guy and then Marathon (1994) came out for the Mac (PowerPC) which ran circles around Doom, including the first time I experience multiplayer arena mayhem which was glorious. :) The idea of hooking up multiple computers with ethernet and playing together was ground breaking. I attended many gaming parties, double shotguns on a small map was kind of an adrenaline rush. :D
Then I played Doom 3 which was the Mars station scenario which had lots of spooky corridors and made me jump frequently, although the ending boss battle was kind of mechanical. This is what the movie is based on, and the movie was, for myself just ok.

CF17BF9C-59DE-4D90-B120-7F72256050BF.png

Doom 3​

Lasrjock

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2019
Northern VA
Going retro right now. I'm watching "Support Your Local Sheriff", a western comedy with James Garner surrounded by an impressive group of character actors: Jack Elam, Walter Brennan, Harry Morgan, Henry Jones, and Bruce Dern as a dimwitted outlaw.

Garner's his usual self--an amiable dude who gets by on his wits as much as his gun--and he's got to deal with, among other things, a jail that has no bars on the cells because (as Morgan puts it) "we sent away for 'em and they ain't arove yet."

It's free on Prime. I've seen this a number of times before, but it just never gets old.

Well now you have to watch "Support Your Local Gunfighter" (I have both on DVD)!

I had mentioned the movie "Paint Your Wagon" and then discovered that it was on HDNET this past Sunday so I will soon get to re-watch it.

Reactions: Thomas Veil

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Speaking of Doom, the original game came out in 1993, but I was a Mac Guy and then Marathon (1994) came out for the Mac (PowerPC) which ran circles around Doom, including the first time I experience multiplayer arena mayhem which was glorious. :) The idea of hooking up multiple computers with ethernet and playing together was ground breaking. I attended many gaming parties, double shotguns on a small map was kind of an adrenaline rush. :D
Then I played Doom 3 which was the Mars station scenario which had lots of spooky corridors and made me jump frequently, although the ending boss battle was kind of mechanical. This is what the movie is based on, and the movie was, for myself just ok.

I always liked the earlier versions of Doom, but it’s drastically changed with ‘Bethesda/ID’ as the two main developers now. The movie is actually based off the earlier versions of Doom, but today it’s changed to the point where it’s more of an ‘arena shooter’ than anything. But in terms of when movie producers try to emulate a video game, it never really seems to work out. ‘Assassin‘s creed‘ [With Michael Fassbender] is another perfect example that failed miserably in the movie sense versus how successful the actual video game is.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I always liked the earlier versions of Doom, but it’s drastically changed with ‘Bethesda/ID’ as the two main developers now. The movie is actually based off the earlier versions of Doom, but today it’s changed to the point where it’s more of an ‘arena shooter’ than anything. But in terms of when movie producers try to emulate a video game, it never really seems to work out. ‘Assassin‘s creed‘ [With Michael Fassbender] is another perfect example that failed miserably in the movie sense versus how successful the actual video game is.
And while World of Warcraft (Movie) was kind of ok, it was nothing to write home about IMO. And I think there have been some games that could make good movies like Half Life, System Shock 2, or maybe Fallout 4, but maybe not. ;)

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Well now you have to watch "Support Your Local Gunfighter" (I have both on DVD)!

I had mentioned the movie "Paint Your Wagon" and then discovered that it was on HDNET this past Sunday so I will soon get to re-watch it.
I've seen that, but it was quite a while ago. Yes, it's pretty funny too.

I honestly think Garner & co. could have made four or five more of these. I'd've watched 'em. ?

Reactions: Lasrjock

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
And while World of Warcraft (Movie) was kind of ok, it was nothing to write home about IMO. And I think there have been some games that could make good movies like Half Life, System Shock 2, or maybe Fallout 4, but maybe not. ;)

The only movie that I actually deemed ‘good’ that was depicted off a ‘video game’ and was adequately successful, was the very first ‘Resident evil‘ {2002} with Milla Jovovich. [There were a load of sequels after that, they were complete garbage.]

if you haven’t checked that one out, that’s a decent watch. Even though some of the dialogue is not very well scripted, it works for what it is.

Oh, and I played almost all the Resident evils, the most recent being ‘Resident evil Nemesis remake on my PS4 Pro.

Reactions: yaxomoxay and Huntn

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
The Island (2005)- 63% Audience Score RT.
Lincoln Six Echo awaits anxiously to win the lottery so he can leave the facility and go to The Island, the last contamination free paradise in the world, to live the good life, except something is not right. His life is boring, he has nightmares, questions his existence especially when his eyes are opened and his life suddenly gets very exciting.

Yes, it got mixed reviews, but I love this Logan’s Run kind of story. And although it was critiqued as too much “action”, I felt the action suited my needs, outstanding action sequences, interspersed with interesting characters and dialog. Ewan McGregor, Scarlet Johansson, Steve Buscemi, and Sean Bean are really good in this.
Love this movie! Want to watch this and Paycheck again.

• Love
Reactions: Huntn

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
The only movie that I actually deemed ‘good’ that was depicted off a ‘video game’ and was adequately successful, was the very first ‘Resident evil‘ {2002} with Milla Jovovich. [There were a load of sequels after that, they were complete garbage.]

if you haven’t checked that one out, that’s a decent watch. Even though some of the dialogue is not very well scripted, it works for what it is.

Oh, and I played almost all the Resident evils, the most recent being ‘Resident evil Nemesis remake on my PS4 Pro.

Resident Evil II was also pretty good in my opinion.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What about "Silent Hill"? Being a video game movie I expected it to suck, but I was surprised to be scared ****less.

Yes, that was a very eerie movie. And you’re right, I forgot about that rendition of the video game compared to the movie. Actually, I’d wager Silent Hill the movie was actually better than the game itself. Good call.

Resident Evil II was also pretty good in my opinion.

Yup, Nemesis was actually portrayed very well. The acting is just about the same as it was in the first one, but it wasn’t bad either. I should probably redact what I mentioned, everything past RE 1/2 that started to fall apart.

But speaking of Resident evil 2, but Jeebus man, did you see how Jacked Mila Jovovich was in that one? So, if you watch the first RE1, Jovovich was far more ‘feminine looking’ then appeared she was on testosterone/PED’s in the second one.😁

[..Think Sarah Connor/Linda Hamilton from the Terminator 1984 in terms of being petite and how she got ripped for T2:Judgment Day in 1991.]

Reactions: Thomas Veil

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
E6BA97E1-2A7D-4B57-89B3-4DBF1F2BECAD.jpeg

Little Big Man (1970)- One of my favorite Westerns. An outstanding movie told as the narrative of a 120 year old fictional character, Jack Crabb, in a nursing home, his story of the American West when he drifted between the settler and Indian cultures witnessing historical events.

Most heart breaking is watching an Indian Camp on protected Indian land slaughtered by the US Calvary. The Black Hills of South Dakota is just one of the many cases where the US Government negotiated treaties with American Indians and then reneged on them. The Black Hills were negotiated Indian lands until gold was found there, then all bets were off, including treaties.

A little cruel is the movie‘s treatment of General George Armstrong Custer painting him as a self absorbed egotist who got in over his head, misjudging his adversaries and giving his 7th Calvary a major defeat.

By the time of Custer's Black Hills expedition in 1874, the level of conflict and tension between the U.S. and many of the Plains Indians tribes (including the Lakota Sioux and the Cheyenne) had become exceedingly high. European-Americans continually broke treaty agreements and advanced further westward, resulting in violence and acts of depredation by both sides. To take possession of the Black Hills (and thus the gold deposits), and to stop Indian attacks, the U.S. decided to corral all remaining free Plains Indians. The Grant government set a deadline of January 31, 1876, for all Lakota and Arapaho wintering in the "unceded territory" to report to their designated agencies (reservations) or be considered "hostile".[65]

Little Big Man, written in 1964, by Thomas Berger is not a true story. The book with stories of Jack Crabb's adventures in the West is based on a compilation of many different journals, diaries, and other writings of people who did live in the old West. However, Berger used these stories and journals to create characters and stories that are entertaining and created a character in Crabb that enjoyed real life adventures with many historical figures

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (2017)- Outstanding addition to this franchise, and great toons. :) Sorry to say sayonara to Yondu.

I liked the first one. Chris Pratt is really what made that movie on the comedic side of things. I’d say he’s comparable to Ryan Reynolds in terms of legit being funny on/off film. I’d say G.O.G was his
‘kick starter’ film for moving his career forward, (aside from Jurassic World), even though he was acting long before Guardians. The second one didn’t work for me as much, but not bad. Sequels are typically an extreme hit or miss, especially if it has a different director role style.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I liked the first one. Chris Pratt is really what made that movie on the comedic side of things. I’d say he’s comparable to Ryan Reynolds in terms of legit being funny on/off film. I’d say G.O.G was his
‘kick starter’ film for moving his career forward, (aside from Jurassic World), even though he was acting long before Guardians. The second one didn’t work for me as much, but not bad. Sequels are typically an extreme hit or miss, especially if it has a different director role style.
Revealing the true nature of his Father, his relationship with Peter’s mother, Nebula and Gamora’s relationship, Yondu’s relationship with Peter, the dancing twig, and the general humor level made this movie for me, a very in sync sequel, nice story arcs linking back to the original Movie.

Reactions: compwiz1202

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
We watched "Terminator Dark Fate" last night. I wasn't expecting much from this film, but it actually blew me away! The movie retcons all the previous movies except for Terminator 1 and 2. This is actually Terminator 3 and it is a far better story than any of the ones that came after 2. It is a solid Science Fiction film that really introduces time as kind of a river. The course may change but a similar future is almost always inevitable. If you liked the original 2 you will like this one. Cameron did a really good job and Linda Hamilton was a bad ass Sarah Connor! Two thumbs up on this one!

6385569_so.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.