Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
SCUM (1979)
View attachment 949201
Make no bones about it SCUM is a brutal depiction of life in a British juvenile offenders institution in the late 70's. From what I've read all too accurate, if not a little toned down. SCUM is a good film, however be warned as profanity, violence, racial hatred and abuse are common themes throughout.

SCUM is very much based on the banned 1977 BBC "play for today" of the same name, with the same character's and many of the same actors. Both are powerful & disturbing watches that you wont likely repeat in any hurry...

Q-6

Not seen this one (yet), but have read about it many times. The last of which was a couple of years ago after watching an (apparently) similar film called Starred Up, which I liked very much. Then again, Ben Mendelsohn is always great, and Jack O'Connell also does a great job in this one.

Need to seek out SCUM post haste.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Not seen this one (yet), but have read about it many times. The last of which was a couple of years ago after watching an (apparently) similar film called Starred Up, which I liked very much. Then again, Ben Mendelsohn is always great, and Jack O'Connell also does a great job in this one.

Need to seek out SCUM post haste.

Youtube is the solution for both small & big screen versions, after you can opt to buy if you care to do so...

Nor overly watered down...

Q-6

Reactions: Mefisto

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Ascenseur pour l'échafaud (Elevator to the Gallows). This is the 1958 Louis Malle noir film starring Jeanne Moreau and Maurice Ronet that helped launch the New Wave in cinema. It features a wonderful score improvised by Miles Davis. The film popped up now and then in art house theatres in NYC while I lived there, but I always missed it. Bumped into the sound track a few years ago and ever after have meant to look up the film. Streaming it on HBO/Max. French w/ English subtitles.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Watched 9 last night. Nice and clean animation. Easy story line. A 7/10.

9posterfinal.jpg

Reactions: millerj123

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
MV5BMjQ2ODIyMjY4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzY4ODI2NzM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Aladdin. It wasn't bad, I just couldn't hang with it. I fell asleep, woke up and wandered away before it ended. Update: So, yesterday my wife and I finished it. It was okay, I guess. The IMDB complaints about the new song and lack of character development seemed spot on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The wife and I caught two movies last week when theaters reopened in our area. The first was The New Mutants and the second was Tenet. It was good to see a movie in the actual theater and pay for overpriced popcorn. ;)

New Mutants was fun and Tenet was good even if it did make my head hurt trying to keep up with everything.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The wife and I caught two movies last week when theaters reopened in our area. The first was The New Mutants and the second was Tenet. It was good to see a movie in the actual theater and pay for overpriced popcorn. ;)

New Mutants was fun and Tenet was good even if it did make my head hurt trying to keep up with everything.
Time movies seem to be divided between those that I critique because they don’t make sense for a time travel perspective and the story (like Avenger’s End Game and Interstellar which I liked) and others that I just go with the flow because although enjoyable and entertaining, they are so far from any kind of a grounded time travel logic, because of prolific time travel that you can’t keep track of (like Umbrella Academy which is excellent btw) that in the latter case, it’s easier to accept what your eyes are seeing. :D

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My wife and I watched Mission Impossible: Fallout last night. Love all of the Mission Impossible movies.

Awesome film. (For a while there, it was actually free on Amazon if you are a Prime member.) But I’m a huge fan of Henry Cavill, he ‘out-did’ Tom Cruise in that film from My viewpoint.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Time movies seem to be divided between those that I critique because they don’t make sense for a time travel perspective and the story (like Avenger’s End Game and Interstellar which I liked) and others that I just go with the flow because although enjoyable and entertaining, they are so far from any kind of a grounded time travel logic, because of prolific time travel that you can’t keep track of (like Umbrella Academy which is excellent btw) that in the latter case, it’s easier to accept what your eyes are seeing. :D

Yeah, for me Tenet was one of those where you just go along for the ride. It's a very interesting take on a time travel story with reversing the flow of time/entropy and a bunch of complicated stuff. Alas, lots of good action and explosions in the movie. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Huntn

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Our local Epic theater is doing $125 for a private showing, up to 20 guests, very tempted to rent it for TENET, we'd only have like 5-6 people tops.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Our local Epic theater is doing $125 for a private showing, up to 20 guests, very tempted to rent it for TENET, we'd only have like 5-6 people tops.
Last time I went to the cinema for a private viewing only cost me £11. Due to a mix up Mrs AFB and I were the only ones who booked the cinema for SW episode 7 (or maybe Rouge One, I cant remember) opening night.
It was about 5 minutes before it was due to start and the usher came in and explained the mix up. Asked if we’d like to go watch it in the other screen. I said can we watch it here? So we did. Best cinema night ever!

Reactions: 0128672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.