Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrea Filippini

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2020
Tuscany, Italy
Reality Bites (1994)

Reality_Bites-469610283-large.jpg

Winona Ryder here is insanely gorgeous

CompassionateReflectingAmurminnow-size_restricted.gif

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Radioactive - Sept 2019

Have this movie on my radar - just need to find out where to buy it - so far not available on iTunes or Amazon

"Radioactive is a 2019 British biographical drama film directed by Marjane Satrapi and starring Rosamund Pike as Marie Curie. The film is based on the 2010 graphic novel by Lauren Redniss."

"The film premiered as the Closing Night Gala at the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival. It was released digitally in the United Kingdom on 15 June 2020 by StudioCanal. "

radio-active.jpg

Reactions: pachyderm

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Indeed. I hadn’t seen it in years and it was recently on sale on iTunes for $5.00 so I made the purchase.

I think the storyline should have gone deeper between Carol and Melvin.

Cool - good to know - had the DVD - but gave away all my DVD's 8 years ago - for that price I will add it back into my digital collection - thx ?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Radioactive - Sept 2019

Have this movie on my radar - just need to find out where to buy it - so far not available on iTunes or Amazon

"Radioactive is a 2019 British biographical drama film directed by Marjane Satrapi and starring Rosamund Pike as Marie Curie. The film is based on the 2010 graphic novel by Lauren Redniss."

"The film premiered as the Closing Night Gala at the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival. It was released digitally in the United Kingdom on 15 June 2020 by StudioCanal. "

View attachment 948707
I watched this recently on Prime and thought it was well done, although felt like it stalled in a couple of places.

Reactions: pachyderm and mikzn

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I watched the movie 42 last night, in tribute to both Chadwick Boseman and the fact that MLB celebrated Jackie Robinson this weekend. It was a pretty good movie. Probably could have been a little more nuanced.

• Love
Reactions: D.T.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Sean Penn: The Pledge (2001)

One of my favorite Jack Nicholson movies, and one I've seen many times yet still always watch again when the opportunity presents itself. Based on a novel by Friedrich Dürrenmatt the movie tells the story of about to be retired detective Jerry Black (Nicholson), who on his last day on the job gets involved in a child murder case that starts haunting him. The title of the film refers to the promise he makes to the mother of the young victim of finding her killer.

Stellar movie, stellar cast and stellar directing. I'm honestly having a hard time coming up with any real criticism, and even the often disliked ending is great in my opinion.

Currently debating with myself whether or not I'm going to be able to stay awake long enough to watch Apocalypse Now Redux, as I've been wanting to watch it for ages now.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
MV5BOTIzYmUyMmEtMWQzNC00YzExLTk3MzYtZTUzYjMyMmRiYzIwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_UY268_CR1,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Hobbs & Shaw. The first of the Fast and Furious movies I've seen. Totally implausible, impossible, but wow, fun to watch.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Birdcage (1996)- 81% RTAS. A favorite. :) A young couple have decided to get married and want their parents to meet. The girl’s father is a conservative US Senator and they want to keep it secret that the boy‘s parents are a gay couple who own the drag club they live above in South Beach, Miami.

34531E74-2448-40BD-A5C7-1C4E85616535.jpeg

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Revisit: Outside of the movie breaking Japanese Ju-On ghost twins, Rigor Mortis (2013) is excellent. A serious take on the Chinese Hopping vampire (jiangshi) sub-genre with many folks from the seminal Mr. Vampire etc. I quite enjoyed it this time around, especially after revisiting its comedic ancestors and appreciating most of the unsettling horror approach. The set design, make ups and props were great. Kind of weird to see copious amounts of CGI and Karo syrup derived blood, but whatever works.?

This poster is the only semi silly thing about it, unlike 2017’s Men In Black-like Vampire Clean Up Department (Which needed a lot more of the title team and vampires, but was cute).

150DD603-723C-4A50-AC80-A0C5BA78896A.jpeg

I’ll probably watch Mr. Vampire again soon. The recent blu ray is played frequently here.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
IT: Chapter 2 [2019]
CC81A882-01C4-4806-9501-FC67EF0175EF.jpeg

So I saw this in theaters on its release weekend back in September 2019. The first one was excellent (You’ll know what I’m talking about with the shot scenery and acting from the ‘Losers club’). I’m a huge fan of Stephen kings version with Tim curry from the 1990 version.

I’ve given my thoughts on IT Chapter one in this thread already, and I kind of already touched on IT Chapter 2 to another member. My biggest gripe watching chapter 2 again is one thing and one thing only, the CGI is absolutely horrible. They used to way much of it, and I think they did that to boost the rating achieve the ‘rated R’ with more violence and gore. The Problem is, the CGI actually makes the movie actually less scary than what it really is. If you watch Stephen Kings version in 1990, that movie relied on Tim curry creating more fear with his voice with His demonic tone going from a happy clown to sinister.

Where Chapter 2 really excelled, was showing the backstory for each character of how they battled the clown when they were in their younger state and as in their adulthood.

Aside from that, I really was expecting more from Chapter 2, and the ratings definitely were nowhere near the first one. But then again, goes to show you the first version generally is just never on the same level as the original release.

But the acting was excellent, [Jessica Chastain was really good], and the original teenage cast returning actually had more scenes than I thought they would. (Seriously, the teenage version of the Losers club in IT Chapter 1 is some of the best acting I’ve ever watched on
film with teenagers of that age, just really talented all-around.)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
IT: Chapter 2 [2019]
View attachment 949021

So I saw this in theaters on its release weekend back in September 2019. The first one was excellent (You’ll know what I’m talking about with the shot scenery and acting from the ‘Losers club’). I’m a huge fan of Stephen kings version with Tim curry from the 1990 version.

I’ve given my thoughts on IT Chapter one in this thread already, and I kind of already touched on IT Chapter 2 to another member. My biggest gripe watching chapter 2 again is one thing and one thing only, the CGI is absolutely horrible. They used to way much of it, and I think they did that to boost the rating achieve the ‘rated R’ with more violence and gore. The Problem is, the CGI actually makes the movie actually less scary than what it really is. If you watch Stephen Kings version in 1990, that movie relied on Tim curry creating more fear with his voice with His demonic tone going from a happy clown to sinister.

Where Chapter 2 really excelled, was showing the backstory for each character of how they battled the clown when they were in their younger state and as in their adulthood.

Aside from that, I really was expecting more from Chapter 2, and the ratings definitely were nowhere near the first one. But then again, goes to show you the first version generally is just never on the same level as the original release.

But the acting was excellent, [Jessica Chastain was really good], and the original teenage cast returning actually had more scenes than I thought they would. (Seriously, the teenage version of the Losers club in IT Chapter 1 is some of the best acting I’ve ever watched on
film with teenagers of that age, just really talented all-around.)
I agree that CGI can be much less scary. My best example is the The Haunting (1963)- A movie about paranormal investigators investigating a haunted house, all of the tension was based on atmosphere, music, some practical visual and sound effects. The 1999 remake full of CGI can’t compete, however the The Haunting of Hill House (2018 Neflix) holds up quit well with minimal effects, and I’m looking forward to the next season.

A774E283-359D-405A-9572-5D5DC1BAA36D.jpeg

A90EF615-8FD6-4915-A637-655EF2B283DF.jpeg

2018​

Queen6

macrumors G4
SCUM (1979)
1598922012567.png

Make no bones about it SCUM is a brutal depiction of life in a British juvenile offenders institution in the late 70's. From what I've read all too accurate, if not a little toned down. SCUM is a good film, however be warned as profanity, violence, racial hatred and abuse are common themes throughout.

SCUM is very much based on the banned 1977 BBC "play for today" of the same name, with the same character's and many of the same actors. Both are powerful & disturbing watches that you wont likely repeat in any hurry...

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: Apple fanboy

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
SCUM (1979)
View attachment 949201
Make no bones about it SCUM is a brutal depiction of life in a British juvenile offenders institution in the late 70's. From what I've read all too accurate, if not a little toned down. SCUM is a good film, however be warned as profanity, violence, racial hatred and abuse are common themes throughout.

SCUM is very much based on the banned 1977 BBC "play for today" of the same name, with the same character's and many of the same actors. Both are powerful & disturbing watches that you wont likely repeat in any hurry...

Q-6
A very brutal film. Not seen it in a good while and don’t think it would have aged well. I recall some disturbing scenes.

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.