Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apersianboyCOM

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
London, UK
Me too... wallet in the back pocket, keys in right front, change in left front...

What's the heck is happening to you people? I wouldn't carry a man purse if I was castrated.

While I'm at it... you guys can put an extra set of earrings in your man bag too. I just don't get it?

Ditto. It just seems too much to carry, why would you want your camera and all the other stuff listed with you at all times?

What's wrong with a wallet?

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
old job bauer bag

-work laptop
-mag light
-wifi signal finder
-iphone
-headphones
-moleskin
-red/blue/black pen
-mech pencil
-some piece of equipment i was using
-leathermen
-bottle of water
-wet wipes
-small first aid kit
-dental floss
-gum
-gps (sometimes)
-electrical tape
-sunglasses
-flash drive

new job bauer bag

-sunglasses
-portfolio
-gum
-dental floss
-wet wipes
-iphone
-moleskin
-pen (black)
-laptop
-flash drive

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
I try to carry as little as possible. I had been carrying a pretty average amount of stuff but now that I'm back living in a tropical county I'm back down to just keys, local phone, Touch, and money clip (ie rubber band) most days. Everything else is overrated. Looking at getting an unlocked iPhone so I can drop another thing too.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
MacBook
power supply for MacBook
wireless mouse
headphones
firewire cable
checkbook
chamois cloth for cleaning glasses
cleaning solution for glasses
smokes
checkbook
at least 1 condom and a one-use packet of lube. Never leave home without those. You never know. :)

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Wow, I carry a lot of this stuff without the manbag. My usual items for work:

Leatherman
Blackberry
Knife (Kershaw "assisted opening")
Surefire flashlight
Keys
Wallet
Gum
Personal cell phone

My computer backpack, on the other hand, feels like I'm carrying around a boat anchor. It's loaded with all kinds of tools and other items. It's real fun to take through airport security.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I just carry a wallet and my cell phone... that's all I need. I can't imagine carrying all that stuff in a "man purse". How often would you even use that stuff?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Some thing in my messenger bag not in OP's:

Retractable Ethernet cable
iPod sync cable (works with iPhone)
Paperclip (for iphone sim card)
Headphones
Mouse pad
Mouse
Thumbdrives
Business Card
Envelops + stamps
Aftermarket small folding outlet to USB adapter (to charge iPod etc)
Backup cables for external drive

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
The most I ever carry is:

Mobile Phone
iPod Nano + Earphones
Keychain with 2Gb USB Stick and door keys
Wallet with spare "Pay & Go" SIM in case I keep having issues with O2s billing.

I've concidered a really tiny swiss army knife. My dad got one as part of his retirement gift from work. It's got everything you could really need on it for day to day stuff and you'd have to use the tiny blade to "carve you own" dangerous pointy objects with it if anyone took issue with carry a knife for safety purposes because it's only a bit longer than the metal contacts on a USB connector.

statik13

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
Nothing wrong with a man bag if you're on holidays. I have a great pacsafe bag for my camera, passport and other travel goodies.

For home, I see absolutely no point of carrying a complete survival kit around with you. What's wrong with just tossing the kit into the car trunk and leaving it there? Everything else should fit in your pants or coat pockets.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I like this, I've started carrying one recently since being off from school/being on a trip for a while.

I'm now gonna start carrying full time!

I tend to have to many things in my pockets to begin with, this is a nice way to clear some space

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
I have a messenger bag. Not a man bag or a man purse. And sure as hell not a murse!
Anyway, this is what's almost always in there:
- MacBook + charger
- something to read
- phone
- Canon EOS 7
- 35mm film
- lighter + smokes
- lip balm
- chewing gum
- sometimes school books

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
might as well add my view on this...
I have a Jost fabric bag which i use daily for work

its got:

- micro umbrella
- pencils (don't use pens!)
- packet of tissues (for my nose!!! :p)
- sat nav (plus car charger and cracdle)
- keys
- mints/gum
- painkillers (working gives me a headache!! hehe)
- water bottle
- small cool bag for my lunch
- wallet
- headphones
- usb flash drive

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Mine isn't a man bag...more of a mini messenger and it carries very little:

Pen
Pencil
Notepad
USB Flash Drive
Keys

On my person:

iPhone
Wallet
Headphones

The End

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
I carry with me every day in my bag:

Keys w/leatherman micra attached to chain
1 large wallet (too big for a pocket)
1 accordian wallet for extra cards
Small zip-up bag with iphone and kindle chargers
Kindle2 (yes, I read all the frell'in time)
iphone
ear phones (go in small bag)
8GB thumbdrive (go in small bag)
Trail Mix fruit & Nut
small change purse
Vaseline total moisture (3 oz)
Compact travel bag (zips into a very small pack)
can cozy (I hate holding a cold can in my bare hands)
Small pill case with advil and allergy pills
pen
packet of tissues

Little HZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
New Mexico
mrgreen,

In my emergency to-go bag, which I keep in my car, I have most of the stuff on your list, plus one large heavy-duty trash bag.

estanaway

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009
Lansing, MI
Boy Scout Motto "Be Prepared"

For all you dissing on the UAB, how do you carry everything you need with you. I am sure most of you on this forum probably carry a notebook computer for work, when you get a chance I wonder if you emptied your bag if you would find anything in the pockets that didn't relate directly to your job, like motrin, cold remedies, condoms, multi-tool, etc. It is my feeling that most people have a bag like this close to them at all times. I usually have a worst case scenario bag packed in my vehicle, along with tool kit, and a messenger bag with me when I go to work. I use the messenger bag to transport tools to and from my vehicle, as well as cold medicine and motrin, I usually have a pair of leather and latex gloves, matches, USB drive, multitool, bits, screwdriver, glass cleaner and lens wipe for prescription eye glasses/binoculars/scopes, cords for various devices such as iPod Cellphone, etc. and my Dell Mini. A UAB is like a leatherman, it has many uses, isn't always on you, but makes you feel confident that you have the tools at hand to handle any minor emergency. Just my .02.

Amigaman

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Greenville, MI
Carry with me no matter what:

Slim Wallet (Front shirt pocket)
Analog Watch
Cell Phone
Keys

Carry in a Messenger bag to and from work only:

MacBook Pro
5' Ethernet Patch Cable
8GB USB Drive
iPhone USB Charging Cable
Microfiber Cloth for cleaning my glasses
Cellular Modem
Earphones
Mini LED Flashlight
Pen(s)
Listerine Strips
Colgate Wisps
Dental Floss
Advil

phineas

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
South of the Border I-95
Ok, I have a very nice messenger bag (or a man purse as my wife calls it) - like this. I don't like the feel of it when it's empty, so I'm packing it up with an "every day (nerd) survival kit". This is something that I'll be carrying with me all the time so I don't find my self unprepared for any situation (so I guess that makes it a man purse).

Here's what I've come up with so far:
  • multitool (of course). Swiss Army knife or Leatherman style. Or both. Probably both.
  • duct tape (small sized roll)
  • small roll of electrical tape, too
  • zip ties
  • travel sewing kit
  • dental floss (not for my teeth, but it's an amazingly handy way to pack pretty strong string - I've sawed through 1/4 plastic with floss before. Don't ask.)
  • Small flashlight
  • AA and AAA batteries
  • USB Dock cable
  • standard mini-USB cable
  • USB to AC charger
  • Spare cellphone charger (I can save space here using the USB cable for my Palm and the above USB to AC adaptor)
  • blank DVD/CDs
  • USB flash drive (actually I'll be super efficient here and pack a 2gb microSD card in a tiny USB adaptor, and my microSD to SD adaptor... I'll be able to plug the card into any PC, my/most digital cameras, and my/most cellphones, too)
  • Digital camera (about to get a Nikon D40, but it's pretty small, so it'll should still fit even with a smallish case/wrap around it)
  • Cellphone/iPod (though those are usually in my pockets)
  • ziplock bag with: travel toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, hand sanitizer, "wet wipes", and some extra, empty, ziplocks
  • .5L bottle of water (if it gets too full this will be the first to go. Water is heavy/dense, but I'll keep an empty bottle for refilling when thirsty)
  • couple of energy/granola/candy bars
  • gum/mints
So, what am I missing? What's the one thing you couldn't get through the day without that's not on the list? I'm considering putting a spare ATM card (not debit, since ATM cards NEED a PIN to work so if it gets lost it is less of a risk), a $20 bill, and some secondary form of ID (it's illegal to have two copies of your drivers license, so I'm not sure what else might do me some good).

I did not read all the reply's to your post here, but how about the BIBLE !

CaptMurdock

Suspended
Jan 2, 2009
The Evildrome Boozerama
The three basics that everybody seems to carry everywhere:
  • Keys: I hook mine to my belt loop with a carabiner. I'm hyper-paranoid about my keys, and after one incident where they slipped out of my pocket, I take no chances.
  • Wallet: Left front pocket. It's very uncomfortable while driving to have my wallet in a back pocket.
  • Cell phone: in a carrier clipped to my belt.

My satchel usually contains:
  • My Dayrunner, which has a pen already inside. This is my mini-filing system.
  • Extra pen
  • Sharpie (green)
  • Lip balm (it can really dry up here and there are days where I'll rub my upper lip right off if I'm not careful)
  • USB 2-Gig thumb drive
  • Earphones (sometimes an extension cord if I want to hook them up to a computer at work...don't ask)
  • iPod
  • Whichever book I'm reading at the moment...sometimes more than one
  • Map
  • Accordian folder of personal papers and such that I happen to be dealing with at the time
  • Documents to file for my boss, the family-law attorney

During my formative years, I was exposed to Doctor Who and his capacious pockets. I think it ruined me.

In years gone by, I wore one of these to carry all my crap around. Hey, it was better than a fanny pack. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.