Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
I'm really nervous about this event. If all that's introduced is a new MBP design then it could make things worse for Apple in the mainstream media and blogsphere. If they fail to address the really ancient equipment still available for sale at the same price it was years ago the reactions will be swift and brutal.

Bendgate temporarily stopped the iPhone from getting any thinner, but I fear the desire to make things ever slimmer lives on at Apple. If the thin butterfly keyboard infects any more machines, especially the MBP, then it will be clear that Apple has completely lost focus on usability. Macs are supposed to be tools to get stuff done, not pieces of art to be admired from afar.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Damn, I hope they don't actually get rid of the MagSafe port, USB-A ports, the HDMI port, and the SD card slot.

This would be ideal: MagSafe 2, 1x USB-A, HDMI, SD card, 2x Thunderbolt 2, 2x USB-C with USB Power Delivery and Thunderbolt 3.

Heck, I would be content with MagSafe 2, HDMI, SD Card, 2x USB-C with Thunderbolt 3 on the Pro-level laptop. MagSafe 2 and 2x USB-C with Thunderbolt 3 would be fine for a lower-level laptop. Indeed, anything with MagSafe is fine by me.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Damn, I hope they don't actually get rid of the MagSafe port, USB-A ports, the HDMI port, and the SD card slot.

This would be ideal: MagSafe 2, 1x USB-A, HDMI, SD card, 2x Thunderbolt 2, 2x USB-C with USB Power Delivery and Thunderbolt 3.
Maybe they release a dock - $99! Further turning standard features into add on peripherals. So exciting for their bottom line!

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

sigma7

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2012
Brazil
  • Mac Mini -> Mac Micro;
  • Mac Pro -> Mac Pro Mini;
  • Introducing Mac Motion
  • Introducing Mac iOS Operation System
  • Introducing iTunes Cloud
And one more thing! It's not three devices! It's one device! And we call it...
1d4d19f97c5daaf17a7927a211c74d978837fa0fa7662f4d03ec23a1c859a04b.jpg

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I remember how many broken charging cables, ports and even whole computers (when someone would trip over a cable and send the entire laptop to the floor) we had to contend with before the days of MagSafe.

Why is Apple taking us back there?

There is no reason why there can't be a MagSafe connection in the cable itself. Is that so difficult to come up with? Why does everyone think in these restricted terms? When has apple ever gone from a superior design to an inferior one without providing an alternative?

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
It'd be cool if they made the mac mini look like a miniature mac pro.
Cute, but not as useful. I use Mini's as servers, and it's nice to be able to stack them (or stand them vertically on a shelf).

Seems to me they could scale the whole thing down again though. The current form factor was mostly designed to hold optical drives and spinning hard drives. If they went SSD only they could make a Mac Micro.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I remember how many broken charging cables, ports and even whole computers (when someone would trip over a cable and send the entire laptop to the floor) we had to contend with before the days of MagSafe.

Why is Apple taking us back there?
They were not selling enough Macs, could not figure out why, and decided it was because they were saving too many destroyed computers. Sure, its backward for us, buts its forward for them.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
What to expect?

High fives
Desperate whooping
Products described as amazing
People saying they are deeply passionate
People saying they believe profoundly
Cheesy camera shots of an excited gallery
A corny joke or two to gloss over the fact that Apple have done precious little for Mac users for years now, other than introduce joke machines like the new Mac Mini.

...and all to introduce three updated computers, years late, and perhaps a hint of "jam tomorrow" for a lineup that is still woefully inadequate and outdated.

You forgot "We have great products in the pipeline". :)

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
If Xiaomi could offer a Ceramic phone at that price, you still want to be fooled paying for that Ceramic Apple Watch?

Xiaomi also admitted that they can't actually manufacture their ceramic phone in any significant quantity and only consider it to be a device for hardcore fans of the company. Whoops!

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
What to expect?

High fives
Desperate whooping
Products described as amazing
People saying they are deeply passionate
People saying they believe profoundly
Cheesy camera shots of an excited gallery
A corny joke or two to gloss over the fact that Apple have done precious little for Mac users for years now, other than introduce joke machines like the new Mac Mini.

...and all to introduce three updated computers, years late, and perhaps a hint of "jam tomorrow" for a lineup that is still woefully inadequate and outdated.

As an add-on to your accurate list, I'm sure we'll also hear "This is the best MacBook Pro we've ever made."

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Is having a walk with your floppy disk......at a place called "Paradise"

Umm, no.

The headphone jack (in Apple devices) is NOT in Paradise.

It is in HELL.

Dongle-Hell, along with every other useful-and-still-in-heavy-use port: Rack #5 at the Apple Store, where Apple will be happy to charge you more for something that was there to begin with for free.

Enough with this "floppy-disk" nonsense. The two are not even close to equivalent, comparison-wise.

Last edited:

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
A company the size of Apple should update their whole line at least once a year. There are plenty of areas to improve on. If not, you're not taking computers seriously but treat it as an hobby.

Also last year technology should go down in price accordingly! No excuse except greed to price it this high.

Apple also should explain why they haven't done anything of the above. If they really are serious with computers they owe openness to the long term customers to regain some trust.

Reactions: Altis and pat500000

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008

Apple is planning to hold an event on Thursday, October 27, which will focus solely on giving the Mac lineup some much-needed attention. Many of Apple's Macs have gone more than a year without an update, like the MacBook Air and the MacBook Pro, while others, like the Mac mini and the Mac Pro, have gone several years without a refresh.

This is Apple's first Mac-only event in years and the biggest Mac announcement since the Retina MacBook debuted in early 2015.

MacBook Pros

The MacBook Pro received a major redesign in 2012, and four years later, it's about to receive another complete overhaul. With a new body, radical new features, and revamped internals, the MacBook Pro is expected to be the headlining product of Apple's October 27 event. KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has even called the MacBook Pro "the most significant upgrade ever undertaken by Apple."

The MacBook Pro will continue to be available in 13 and 15-inch size options, but it will feature a thinner and lighter form factor than the current MacBook Pro, bringing it more in line with the 12-inch MacBook.

The body of the machine will not be tapered like the MacBook Air or the Retina MacBook, but it is said to have shallower curves around the edges, a wider pressure-sensitive Force Touch trackpad, metal injection mold-made hinges, thin speaker grilles next to the keyboard, up to 2TB of storage space, and a flatter MacBook-style keyboard with more stable keys that use a butterfly mechanism and single LED backlighting.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: What to Expect at Apple's 'Hello Again' Mac Event

Ok, but what about the hour and a half still left in the event?

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Big question for me is whether the memory will be replaceable or soldered to the motherboard. That will determine what advice I give my daughter, who began college two months ago and has been waiting patiently for the new MacBook Pros.

Soldered, just like it has been for the last 4 years.

Reactions: thisisnotmyname
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.