What to Expect at Apple's September 2018 Event: New iPhones, Apple Watch Series 4, AirPods, AirPower and More

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.
The interesting thing about this iPhone cycle is that current X owners will be better off upgrading, assuming the price goes down as rumored. The monthly payment on the upgrade would be cheaper.
Doesnt work like that , on a standard two year deal, ( 3 yr deals are now getting popular as well) you would still have 12 month's payments of maybe 75 plus dollars a month owing. You ain't getting 800 dollars trade in for a 1 year old phone, so even the the New to new cost might be lower, you have at least have had to had paid off the first handset.. but if you've dropped a chunk of cash to settle the first deal its not really the same as suggesting it makes sense to upgrade.
[doublepost=1536399598][/doublepost]
employees
Kids are spoiled nowadays. Including you.

Except for new colors, all things you mention are pushing the envelope on technology and could definitely be regarded as "one more thing" if they were surprises. The difference now is that Apple is a trillion dollar company and it's near impossible to keep something a secret. More employees than ever and larger supply chain than ever.
Screen size upgrade is pushing the limits of technology lol, really? Boy you are easily impressed...

Reactions: BruceEBonus

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
The 15inch MBP is 1.80kg, compared to 1.30kg of the 13inch MBP or the MBA. If you are used to carrying a MBA everyday to every place you go, you are used to the value of being low-weight, and going from 1.30kg to 1.80kg is a step backwards (it's equivalent to adding a half a litre bottle of water into your bag). Now you might argue that it's not possible to build a lighter 15inch, but Acer would show you wrong (next Swift5 is 15.6inch weighting just 1kg).

Still, if I have no other option, I'll buy the 15inch MBP on Tuesday after the event. But I don't like the purchase, because the trend is to go lightweight, and I guess Apple will be releasing a lower weight 14/15 inch in the mid term. And honestly, I have the money for the 15inch MBP, but it's absurd to do that investment if you know you are going to want a lighter option soon.

I might also consider a 13inch if it weights similar to the 12inch MB, but, again, knowing that bigger screens with lower weight will be available not too far from today.

I always buy Macs thinking in the long term, so I don't really feel comfortable with the current MacBook situation.
I guess I never noticed such small weight differences. I carry backpacks and an iPad to my computer didnt feel like anything to me.
I doubt they will release a 15" much lighter. They are having heat issues with the 15's already in how slim it is. They need to redesign the whole computer probably looking at 2020 and I doubt the 15 will be much lighter then 4 pounds. maybe 3.5 pounds.

Kulfon

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2013
I seriously do not understand why people are so excited here:) Those are just devices and every single year they are more or less the same. Bigger screen, 0,00001 sec faster, 2% better battery:) People are seriously addicted to things these days and value them more than people, relationships, God.

SurferPup

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
Noosaville, Australia
Anyone notice the grammar error, a common one that is found in many formal communications as the quality of the English language declines? "Internally, Apple employees are said to be referring to this year's iPhones as an "S"..." shoud be written as, "Internally, Apple employees are said to be referring to this year's iPhones as a "S"..."

Reactions: Kulfon

TomOSeven

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2017
Anyone notice the grammar error, a common one that is found in many formal communications as the quality of the English language declines? "Internally, Apple employees are said to be referring to this year's iPhones as an "S"..." shoud be written as, "Internally, Apple employees are said to be referring to this year's iPhones as a "S"..."
"An S" is correct.

It's not about the next letter, it's about the next. The next sound after the an is an 'e'.

That's why you say: 'a uniform' (the next sound is a j) and not 'an uniform'.

Luke Neeps

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
How pedantic...

Phonetically /s/ appears [ɛs]. There ɛ, a vowel sound, proceeds a. Thus, /a/ appears [an].

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
Why release a new MacBook with the name air if it’s thicker than the MacBook. It really makes no sense. They should either stop it or call it something like the MacBook lite if they want it to be a cheap entry level model.

Apple’s naming system used to be so simple but (and I hate to use this old cliche) since Steve passed its gone to ****

Reactions: pipis2010 and LiveM

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
I seriously do not understand why people are so excited here:) Those are just devices and every single year they are more or less the same. Bigger screen, 0,00001 sec faster, 2% better battery:) People are seriously addicted to things these days and value them more than people, relationships, God.
some people are techies. I get turned on by sexy hardware. yup

Reactions: kcslc

Patelbhai8126

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2018

On Wednesday, September 12, Apple will hold its annual iPhone-centric event at the Steve Jobs Theater on the Apple Park campus. This year's theme is "Gather Round," the line that was on the invitations sent out to members of the media in late August.

This year's event is shaping up to be quite exciting, with three new iPhones and refreshed Apple Watch Series 4 models on the horizon. Bigger displays seem to be the major draw this year, with Apple introducing both a 6.5-inch iPhone and larger-screened Apple Watch models that have smaller bezels.

2018 iPhone Lineup

Apple's 2018 iPhone lineup will consist of three devices: a 5.8-inch OLED device that's a follow up to the current iPhone X, a larger 6.5-inch OLED device that's a sort of "iPhone X Plus," and a 6.1-inch device with an LCD screen and a lower price tag that's meant to be Apple's more affordable smartphone.

All three of the iPhones will feature nearly edge-to-edge designs with a notch that houses a TrueDepth Camera System, putting an end to the Touch ID Home button in Apple's flagship iPhone lineup. While the three iPhones will have almost non-existent bezels like the iPhone X, the 6.1-inch iPhone's bezels may be slightly thicker due to the LCD display instead of the OLED display.

2018 iPhone dummy models

Internally, Apple employees are said to be referring to this year's iPhones as an "S" upgrade, a notation reserved for years when upgrades focus on internal components rather than design changes. "S" naming is appropriate given that all three iPhones are using an X-style design even though there are two new devices.

Apple is expected to use the 7-nanometer TSMC-manufactured A12 chip in all of the new iPhones for parity in processing power. The A12 should be faster and more efficient than the A11 for faster processing times, better graphics, and improved battery life. Early benchmarks suggest the A12 is 10 percent faster than the A11.

Leaked information from Apple suggests the 5.8-inch iPhone will be referred to as the "iPhone Xs" while the larger 6.5-inch iPhone could be called the "iPhone Xs Max," with Apple doing away with the "Plus" moniker that it has used since the release of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Such a naming scheme makes some sense because the "Plus" designation has traditionally referred to phones that have features non-Plus phones do not, but it does not appear that there are differentiating features between the two OLED iPhones with the exception of screen size, battery life, and price tag.

The iPhone Xs models, which will have resolutions of 2,688 x 1,242 (6.5") and 2,436 x 1,125 (5.8") according to rumors, will feature 12-megapixel dual-lens camera systems like the iPhone X, sturdy stainless steel frames, faster Intel LTE modems with support for 4X4 MIMO, 4GB RAM, and up to 512GB of storage space.

Improved battery technology may allow Apple to introduce a two-cell L-shaped 3,300 to 3,400 mAh battery in the 6.5-inch model and a 2,700 to 2,800 two-cell battery in the 5.8-inch iPhone.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: What to Expect at Apple's September 2018 Event: New iPhones, Apple Watch Series 4, AirPods, AirPower and More
Please launch new iphone 6,6s and in same range and old iphone 6 and 6s close them please its a request i am waiting for reply

Daveydawg

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2017
I enjoy the stress of upgrading at 3am as much as anyone but does it REALLY have to be 12am/3am. Would it kill them to do this at 9pm west coast time? Not that I’m not going to do it of course... hahaha. Oh well, iphone upgrade hangover is becoming a rite of passage...

Reactions: SurferPup and LiveM

HarryWild

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2012
Praying for the dual SIM to be true, and I am really interested in how Apple would implement the dual SIM feature. On Android, it's a mixed bag, but many OEMs have gotten a good grip on it thanks to better modems. Now we can have Android phones with support for dual VoLTE, and dual messaging apps (eg. dual whatsapp, one account for each SIM). I hope Apple do those things right off the bat.
Can you buy dal SIM phones in North America? They are available in other parts of the world for many years such as EU and China but never in NA!

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
Can you buy dal SIM phones in North America? They are available in other parts of the world for many years such as EU and China but never in NA!
You can always import one if you must have one. Most people in the US are still getting their phones through (and locked to) a single carrier, so it's understandable that OEMs don't bother releasing dual SIM phones there.
If Apple made it standard (Apple tend to prefer as little as they can the number of SKUs in their inventory) on the new iPhone for all markets, maybe it will push the notion of being able to use 2 carriers on a phone to US customers.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
No mention of the Mac Pro. It's almost 2019, and Apple said a NEW Mac Pro would be coming. :eek:

With no NEW Mac Pro, the professional Mac Mini might have to suffice to replace my 10-year-old Mac Pro. -
I fully expect Big Tim to say "and just one more thing.."

Then unveils 18 core Mac Mini Threadripper!
Hopefully, if Apple plan on using the I8, they will test it thoroughly to ensure it will function without hiccups.

Reactions: LiveM