What to Expect at Apple's September 2018 Event: New iPhones, Apple Watch Series 4, AirPods, AirPower and More

Rookbird

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
I’m scared to see what the new “pro” mac mini is going to be. Its purpose is to be a low cost mac for people who cannot afford a lot. Im afraid the price is going to go through the roof. Ive considered buying one as a second mac but ive been waiting for them to update the specs. Im afraid the price is going to be much higher then I really want to pay.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
I have to see what new improvements made and how much it cost to see if I will be upgrading this year. If Apple really want me to upgrade, all they have to do is announce more emojis as the new major feature which will cause me to smash my old iPhone in disgust!

RafixPhoenix

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2013
I think that they should rethink their naming strategy if the name of their premium phone sounds like the word “excess”. I don’t care if it’s intentional or if some clueless MBA suggested the name and no one wanted to point out to the boss the bad impression that name might give to Apple.
Well people know X = 10. So people will pronounce it as 10s not "excess".

Reactions: ssl0408

redshifted

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
Midwest
Anyone else kind of pissed off that there won't be any TouchID phones coming out?

I LOVE TouchID. It's enough that if my iPhone 7 Plus were to fall into the sea next month, I'd likely go buy an 8 Plus as a replacement rather than the new notchy TouchID-less phones.

I wish Apple had kept making two lines, the FaceID phones and the classic form factor, at least for a couple more years. :(
I agree. I won't buy any iPhone with the current implementations of Face ID for a variety of reasons.
I will stick with Touch ID as long as possible.
For me, it just works :D.
I am looking forward to a price drop on the 8+ on the 12th so I can replace my 6+.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
I think that they should rethink their naming strategy if the name of their premium phone sounds like the word “excess”. I don’t care if it’s intentional or if some clueless MBA suggested the name and no one wanted to point out to the boss the bad impression that name might give to Apple.
You really think they missed this?

I mean honestly, do you truely believe that everyone at Apple completely missed this?

But for the sake of your post. Lets assume your right.

They could call it the 'iPhone EdT' and it wouldn't make a single difference to how well this product will sell.
[doublepost=1536368356][/doublepost]
I agree. I won't buy any iPhone with the current implementations of Face ID for a variety of reasons.
I will stick with Touch ID as long as possible.
For me, it just works :D.
I am looking forward to a price drop on the 8+ on the 12th so I can replace my 6+.
If your face is so rough that FaceID doesn't work, then fair enough.

I have some shock news for you through man.

Face ID just works too.
[doublepost=1536368440][/doublepost]
I don't understand Apple's strategy with the 5.8 and 6.1. Why would most consumers care about the OLED or a second camera if they can get a bigger screen, something that looks exactly like the X, and is 200-300 cheaper? The size difference is so minuscule as well.
Was thinking this also. We will know next week.

redshifted

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
Midwest
You really think they missed this?

I mean honestly, do you truely believe that everyone at Apple completely missed this?

But for the sake of your post. Lets assume your right.

They could call it the 'iPhone EdT' and it wouldn't make a single difference to how well this product will sell.
[doublepost=1536368356][/doublepost]

If your face is so rough that FaceID doesn't work, then fair enough.

I have some shock news for you through man.

Face ID just works too.
It's not that.
I have pre-cancerous iris tumors and exposing them repeatedly to even weak random IR laser flashes is not something I'm willing to risk. YMMV.

Reactions: LiveM and Donoban

jhudgins

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2016
They should just do Volume like watch’s .
iPhone X Volume 2 .
The 5.1 LCD phone seems like the black sheep of the bunch . Another C for crap phone . Lack of 3D Touch is annoying, makes things too inconsistent. At least SE is old so you understand that but a new phone that doesn’t it . Boo

I hope they mention a wireless keyboard with Touch ID and touch bar for iMacs . It would be wonderful to have. So new iOS releases Right after the presentation? Or a day later ?
Rumor is 3D Touch is being Killed off entirely next year. Makes sense as most people I know don’t even realize they have it. Touch Bar will be in the Apple Graveyard soon too.
The 6.1 LCD makes more sense IMO. First, OLED, while producing a nice picture quality with perfect blacks, is a crap technology that will eventually get burnin or image retention. 100% guaranteed going to happen. That’s like purchasing a ticking bomb. This isn’t a problem with LCD and the current Apple LCD tech is the best there is. This is why I’m happy the iPad Pro will have an LCD screen yet again this year. I will never buy an OLED anything. Will skip it and wait for Micro LED.
And since 3D is going away, why pay a premium for it with one of the new OLED models? It will mostly likely not be supported in iOS 13 anyhow.

Alexleo21

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2018

On Wednesday, September 12, Apple will hold its annual iPhone-centric event at the Steve Jobs Theater on the Apple Park campus. This year's theme is "Gather Round," the line that was on the invitations sent out to members of the media in late August.

This year's event is shaping up to be quite exciting, with three new iPhones and refreshed Apple Watch Series 4 models on the horizon. Bigger displays seem to be the major draw this year, with Apple introducing both a 6.5-inch iPhone and larger-screened Apple Watch models that have smaller bezels.

2018 iPhone Lineup

Apple's 2018 iPhone lineup will consist of three devices: a 5.8-inch OLED device that's a follow up to the current iPhone X, a larger 6.5-inch OLED device that's a sort of "iPhone X Plus," and a 6.1-inch device with an LCD screen and a lower price tag that's meant to be Apple's more affordable smartphone.

All three of the iPhones will feature nearly edge-to-edge designs with a notch that houses a TrueDepth Camera System, putting an end to the Touch ID Home button in Apple's flagship iPhone lineup. While the three iPhones will have almost non-existent bezels like the iPhone X, the 6.1-inch iPhone's bezels may be slightly thicker due to the LCD display instead of the OLED display.

2018 iPhone dummy models

Internally, Apple employees are said to be referring to this year's iPhones as an "S" upgrade, a notation reserved for years when upgrades focus on internal components rather than design changes. "S" naming is appropriate given that all three iPhones are using an X-style design even though there are two new devices.

Apple is expected to use the 7-nanometer TSMC-manufactured A12 chip in all of the new iPhones for parity in processing power. The A12 should be faster and more efficient than the A11 for faster processing times, better graphics, and improved battery life. Early benchmarks suggest the A12 is 10 percent faster than the A11.

Leaked information from Apple suggests the 5.8-inch iPhone will be referred to as the "iPhone Xs" while the larger 6.5-inch iPhone could be called the "iPhone Xs Max," with Apple doing away with the "Plus" moniker that it has used since the release of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Such a naming scheme makes some sense because the "Plus" designation has traditionally referred to phones that have features non-Plus phones do not, but it does not appear that there are differentiating features between the two OLED iPhones with the exception of screen size, battery life, and price tag.

The iPhone Xs models, which will have resolutions of 2,688 x 1,242 (6.5") and 2,436 x 1,125 (5.8") according to rumors, will feature 12-megapixel dual-lens camera systems like the iPhone X, sturdy stainless steel frames, faster Intel LTE modems with support for 4X4 MIMO, 4GB RAM, and up to 512GB of storage space.

Improved battery technology may allow Apple to introduce a two-cell L-shaped 3,300 to 3,400 mAh battery in the 6.5-inch model and a 2,700 to 2,800 two-cell battery in the 5.8-inch iPhone.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: What to Expect at Apple's September 2018 Event: New iPhones, Apple Watch Series 4, AirPods, AirPower and More
The 6.5” will cost at least $1200. Don’t be fools and spect that Apple sells the phone in $999 that is not going to happen

Greymacuser

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2012
What to expect:
Apple self aggrandizement.
Disappointing iToys passed off as real computers.
Overpriced hardware thats behind everyone else.

At this point I just don't trust Apple to have the same wow factor they used to have in the 80's-90's.

iamtheonlyone4ever

Suspended
May 27, 2016
I really hope they come out with a new Mac Pro
the first and original Pro product
totally forgotten
watches , iPhones, iPads, everything else
but where is the Mac Pro
last time I checked, 2013
isn't that 5 years ago, going by apple standards
a 5 year old device is obsolete
is apple still selling the old Mac Pro , "the trash can"
if they are, I'm sure the price still high, they won't even lower the price knowing that is an old device
shame on you apple
I really like you but you need to make a new Mac Pro , pronto
you don't have to make a million units
because if that is the problem and you are afraid thinking that you are not going to sell them
well make less
the problem is the ridiculous price
give us a reasonable price for the device and I'm sure it will sell
many real Pro users need a new Mac Pro
the iMac pro is good but we want, I want a new Mac pro

Justanotherfanboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2018
I think the fact that there will be be a 9 out at the same time will make it much, much, much easier for the “layperson” to default to calling them 9 & 10S, as opposed to last year- where many (as you know), erroneously got used to calling them the 8 & the “ex”.

For the record... “6S” sounds like “success”, yet I can count on zero hands the times I heard people comment on, or obsess about that fact. It neither gave people a good, nor a bad impression of the phone. I expect this to be precisely the same.

iamtheonlyone4ever

Suspended
May 27, 2016
if you guys want an iPhone with a bigger screen well buy an iPad with LTE and GPS
put your SIM card and you are good to go
that is a very big screen, you can also make phone calls
it look like an iPad but is really a big phone
:D
[doublepost=1536373810][/doublepost]
I think the fact that there will be be a 9 out at the same time will make it much, much, much easier for the “layperson” to default to calling them 9 & 10S, as opposed to last year- where many (as you know), erroneously got used to calling them the 8 & the “ex”.

For the record... “6S” sounds like “success”, yet I can count on zero hands the times I heard people comment on, or obsess about that fact. It neither gave people a good, nor a bad impression of the phone. I expect this to be precisely the same.
beerus sama
I'm sure they will come out with something like
iPhone 10 x s plus

Reactions: LiveM

OlliFlamme

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2018
Sweden
What to expect?

They will be really excited again, about all the things they will present, and they will state that it is the best iphone and apple watch they ever released.

Yawn! The 7Plus will remain the best one for me now.
[doublepost=1536373927][/doublepost]
if you guys want an iPhone with a bigger screen well buy an iPad with LTE and GPS
put your SIM card and you are good to go
that is a very big screen, you can also make phone calls
it look like an iPad but is really a big phone
:D
[doublepost=1536373810][/doublepost]
berus sama
I'm sure they will come out with
iPhone 10 x s plus
Sorry if my doubt is irrelevant, but making a phone call with the ipad... a non internet call over the regular cellular network...? Can you?

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
No longer care.

My NZ ATV4 still does not have Siri, the Macs do, the iPads do, the iPhones do.

I am slowly pulling away from Apple and moving towards Linux.
Apple has forced me to make this move with all sorts of services now missing from Apple Server, Apple no longer making wireless hubs and so on.

If I have to do 50% of the stuff in Linux, I may as well do 100%.
Apples ecosystem is no longer what it was.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Who cares at this point? It's lapped itself. Quite embarrassing really.
Not really. I’d rather have waited for a pad that - unlike any others on the market hopefully can charge your devices wherever they lay on the pad. I despise other charging pads having to constantly move the phone to gain the charging spot.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Well people know X = 10. So people will pronounce it as 10s not "excess".
Sure, just like most people pronounced OS X as "oh-ess-ten"? No, they said "oh-ess-sex", just as the Apple marketing folks intended. Sex sells, as does excess. :D

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I'm in the market for a Mini - nothing else here is needed. Come on Mac Mini!!!!

Reactions: LiveM

Aftermath747

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
The interesting thing about this iPhone cycle is that current X owners will be better off upgrading, assuming the price goes down as rumored. The monthly payment on the upgrade would be cheaper.