Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Prospekt

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
How long is the typical delivery timeline ordering off their website? Could you let me know.
I ordered on 11/28 and i got it in NYC on 12/6. It looks great but I don’t see why they couldn’t include the alignment magnet. On the fence about keeping it

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
For sure. Some people really like the case, so I have to wonder if Apple has made some running changes. Mine was purchased very early, just after they became available.
Maybe or they could be hit and miss like the leather cases, mine is perfect except for slippery sides.

Reactions: Zensō

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I added a Mothca lens protector to my setup today. It’s a solid piece of machined aluminum that rises above the lenses ~0.5mm, with no glass over the lenses, which is my preference. Comes with a 3M adhesive backing and is easy to install. So far it doesn’t seem to affect image quality, flash, or exposure. The case is a Nomad Rugged on a 15PM.

View attachment 2307252
I see that’s the Nomad Rugged. How’s the slimness to protection / rugged ratio? From the looks the UAG Civilian is slimmer and claims to offer 20 ft drop protection.

From doing a lot of search I haven’t found a case as slim as the UAG Civilian slimness to protection ratio. However the negative I see with the Civilian is it has smooth sides and doesn’t look like it has much grip.

Last edited:

MikeTheBohunk

macrumors member
May 2, 2017
East End
I've bought a few cases so far, but have been using the Apple silicone case most often.

Got the black one, since the name suggested that it would actually be black, not the midnight thing from the past generations. But not really; it's still the midnight/dark blue shade, rather than black.

Not much of a fan of than; I'm probably gonna get a different colour in spring.

Anyone else got caught by surprise here? The last actually black one came out with the 12 series, I think…

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 11.41.19.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 11.41.19.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: Zensō and macher

Claudia P

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2016
I’m baaaack! 😆
Anyone have the Rhinoshield Mod NX? Feedback on it?

Also a Rhinoshield discount code would be greatly appreciated 😇
I've had mine for a week or two and so far I am quite pleased. Got an extra backplate for it as I intend to decorate it myself, haven't figured out what I'm going to put on it yet.

Reactions: Joe123Joe

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
I've bought a few cases so far, but have been using the Apple silicone case most often.

Got the black one, since the name suggested that it would actually be black, not the midnight thing from the past generations. But not really; it's still the midnight/dark blue shade, rather than black.

Not much of a fan of than; I'm probably gonna get a different colour in spring.

Anyone else got caught by surprise here? The last actually black one came out with the 12 series, I think…
I don’t mind the colour too much (not being fully black) but how are you getting on with lint and smudges on the case itself? I like the feel in hand but the case always looks dirty to me. It bothers me enough that I probably won’t keep using it

Reactions: landonalder

Claudia P

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2016
It could be a simple wrist strap or a full fledged sling similar to a camera strap.

A friend who takes a lot of rare plant photos with his phone for his botanical guide books always uses a lanyard so he can go hands free quickly while he’s working, taking notes, collecting samples, etc.

I have another friend who uses his phone for taking photos while fly fishing. You can imagine that it’s a good idea to have a strap on your phone when fumbling with a fish and a fly rod while trying to take a photo over the water.

Those are just a couple of examples of how they can be useful.
I use one, but a beaded one I made myself. I find it quite handy since my old hands aren't dependable anymore and they drop things way too often.

Reactions: macher and Zensō

MikeTheBohunk

macrumors member
May 2, 2017
East End
I don’t mind the colour too much (not being fully black) but how are you getting on with lint and smudges on the case itself? I like the feel in hand but the case always looks dirty to me. It bothers me enough that I probably won’t keep using it

Well, as I've been using that case for almost 4 months now, guess I don't mind it that much, either… let's say it was just mildly disappointing.

As for the lint, dirt, smudges… those can be wiped off quite easily. Yeah, you have to do it more often than with hard surfaces - which I can imagine would bother some people. I was using these same silicone cases in the past with the 13 Pro and the XS, so I'm pretty much used to it.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I use one, but a beaded one I made myself. I find it quite handy since my old hands aren't dependable anymore and they drop things way too often.

I like the concept of the sling but how convenient is it to detach when you want to use your iPhone?

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I see that’s the Nomad Rugged. How’s the slimness to protection / rugged ratio? From the looks the UAG Civilian is slimmer and claims to offer 20 ft drop protection.

From doing a lot of search I haven’t found a case as slim as the UAG Civilian slimness to protection ratio. However the negative I see with the Civilian is it has smooth sides and doesn’t look like it has much grip.
The Rugged is pretty chunky. It’s really comfortable to grip though because of the concave side rails which sort of cradle your fingertips.

Yeah, overall the Civilian might be the thinnest with that level of protection. The Phone Rebel Gen 5 is up there too if you only consider the grip area. Its drop protection appears to come from its stiffness plus the beefed up raised corners. The front lip between the corners is pretty much flush which makes the grip area thinner than almost any other protective case. The PR Flex of course has no side rails at all, but those exposed sides are not my cup of tea.

Reactions: macher and walds11

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I like the concept of the sling but how convenient is it to detach when you want to use your iPhone?
My friends who use lanyards both use Peak Design models that have a quick release. So a clip stays on the case permanently, but the strap can be removed very quickly and easily. Peak Design makes both wrist straps and full length straps with the same quick release fittings.

The same end result could be accomplished with a small clip and a loop of braided cord from a craft store.

Last edited:

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
The Rugged is pretty chunky. It’s really comfortable to grip though because of the concave side rails which sort of cradle your fingertips.

Yeah, overall the Civilian might be the thinnest with that level of protection. The Phone Rebel Gen 5 is up there too if you only consider the grip area. Its drop protection appears to come from its stiffness plus the beefed up raised corners. The front lip between the corners is pretty much flush which makes the grip area thinner than almost any other protective case. The PR Flex of course has no side rails at all, but those exposed sides are not my cup of tea.

Although the Phone Rebel might be up there with the Civilian in terms of slimness to protection ratio, the Phone Rebel is a lot more heavier than the Civilian. Not sure if the weight of Phone Rebel will make it a more protective case than the Civilian.

Which case would you be more confident to use when you’re hiking for protection?

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Although the Phone Rebel might be up there with the Civilian in terms of slimness to protection ratio, the Phone Rebel is a lot more heavier than the Civilian. Not sure if the weight of Phone Rebel will make it a more protective case than the Civilian.

Which case would you be more confident to use when you’re hiking for protection?
For sure, the Phone Rebel is heavy, though in reality an extra 5-10 grams doesn’t bother me.

For me the PR wins out. It seems they both provide good protection, but, assuming UAG hasn’t changed the side material since last year, the new PR is far more grippy. Of course, the PR doesn’t have lanyard mounts if that’s a consideration.

Reactions: macher

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
For sure, the Phone Rebel is heavy, though in reality an extra 5-10 grams doesn’t bother me.

For me the PR wins out. It seems they both provide good protection, but, assuming UAG hasn’t changed the side material since last year, the new PR is far more grippy. Of course, the PR doesn’t have lanyard mounts if that’s a consideration.

Yea that’s why I crossed off the Civilian off my list, no grip. The Phone Rebel seems to have similar grip sides as the Synthesis.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Yea that’s why I crossed off the Civilian off my list, no grip. The Phone Rebel seems to have similar grip sides as the Synthesis.
To me, the PR grip is even more aggressive than the Synthesis, which is good or bad depending upon preference. The PR is super grippy but around the house it starts getting annoying to me if I’m using the phone a lot. Love it out on the trail though when shooting photos/videos.

Reactions: off2marz and macher

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
To me, the PR grip is even more aggressive than the Synthesis, which is good or bad depending upon preference. The PR is super grippy but around the house it starts getting annoying to me if I’m using the phone a lot. Love it out on the trail though when shooting photos/videos.

Thanks. I thought the Mous Limitless in Aramid was going to be it but even though it has grips, my experience is they didn’t do a good job on grip and just make bumps. So the combination of the slippery-ish Aramid and still slippery bumpy grips made it a slippery case for me.

I don’t necessarily want grip on the back but has to be on the sides. Out of all the cases I tried the Synthesis did this for me plus but the buttons horrible.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I just ordered the Phone Rebel gen 5 in frosted. Will arrive Wednesday Amazon. I’m really looking for only 2 cases in my rotation. A protective case and one that is a more minimalist case.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I just ordered the Phone Rebel gen 5 in frosted. Will arrive Wednesday Amazon. I’m really looking for only 2 cases in my rotation. A protective case and one that is a more minimalist case.
Just FYI (you may already know this), but I’ve read that the frosted is not as grippy on the sides as the aramid version. Not sure if that’s a fact, haven’t compared them myself.

Reactions: macher

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Just FYI (you may already know this), but I’ve read that the frosted is not as grippy on the sides as the aramid version. Not sure if that’s a fact, haven’t compared them myself.
Oh from watching videos it has the same grip as the aramid. Where did you hear this?

jack_1992

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2020
Anyone ever tried a caseology case? I like the colours they have, especially on the Pop.
Not sure if they are quite slippy and could show all the oil and fingerprints? 😬

The Destroyer

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Toronto

It’s unfortunately true. I had the Rebel and Frosted delivered last weekend and the grip between the two is not comparable. The Rebel has amazing grip (bordering extreme) while the Frosted is very minimal. There is still some grip but the Rebel and Synthesis are at another level. It feels like a different material between the two.

It’s slightly disappointing because if the grip on the Frosted matched the Rebel it would be my favorite case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.